Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print quality issue: new imac/selphy printer  (Read 2374 times)

DavidLehman

• http://www.davidrlehman.com
Print quality issue: new imac/selphy printer
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:08:43 am »

Just upgraded my mother's swivel neck imac to a brand new imac and have subsequently gone from iphoto 2.0 to iphoto '08. (If she knew how to even open photoshop, well, there'd be no biggie here, but this is what it is).

Using a Selphy ES1 printer, the photos from the old imac and 2.0 printed fairly accurately (close enough that it doesn't cause complaints). Using the new imac and '08, the prints are now about a stop to a stop and a half too dark, too contrasty, and subsequently over-saturated.

I imagine I'll have to compensate using the Canon driver, but I'm bewildered as to WHY the change in print output. Same driver, same printer, same photos. Obviously it is either the new imac or the new iphoto. My guess is it is a colorsync issue from the new computer and the way it works with applications it affects. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. But, I could be way off...

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 10:30:51 am »

If you still have the older iMac you might double check each and every little printing preference because they really should be printing the same if the same settings are being used.

Also, OS X 10.5 has some ColorSync improvements that will be attractive for color managed printing from applications like this. That's about all I can say at this time...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

DavidLehman

• http://www.davidrlehman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 11:34:48 am »

If you still have the older iMac you might double check each and every little printing preference because they really should be printing the same if the same settings are being used.

Also, OS X 10.5 has some ColorSync improvements that will be attractive for color managed printing from applications like this. That's about all I can say at this time...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They are side-by-side...Absolutely no differences - that's why the ColorSync issue came to mind.

I would hardly call this an improvement, or an attraction.

Personally, I calibrate all my systems with the i1 system (soup to nuts, nothing goes uncalibrated). This is consumer crap though - how would the average person be able to fix this on their own without hours of tech support between Apple and Canon each saying it is the other's fault.

Apple should learn to lose ColorSync...It changes from app to app (Ever put a photo from Safari next to one in PS [a non-CS managed app]? This is more of a nuisance than a helpful guide. At least make it neutral systemwide. Go check out the ColorSync util and look through the options - check the gamuts between systems with dual monitors and other devices - it is horendous. Ostensibly my side by side cinema displays should be neutral to each other since they were calibrated right after the other with the same settings...but of course they're not.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:36:11 am by DavidLehman »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 02:04:58 pm »

They are side-by-side...Absolutely no differences - that's why the ColorSync issue came to mind.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shoot, I don't know why you are seeing those differences then. They really should be the same.

I would hardly call this an improvement, or an attraction.... Apple should learn to lose ColorSync.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're not using 10.5 though and that's critical to the point I'm making. ColorSync is about to leep forward a bit. Besides, ColorSync is not the source of the problems you are describing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:11:27 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:01:27 am »

FWIW, printing from iPhoto '08 and from previous version gave me the same results (about 1/2 or 2/3 stop under-exposed). Printing directly from a memory card also gives me under-exposed photos but more in the 1/3 of stop range (using neutral colors). It was on a custerm's computer (dual G5) and Selphy ES-1  printer, running Mac OS X 10.4.10.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:06:38 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up