Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 20D in extreme conditions?  (Read 3418 times)

BHawth22

Canon 20D in extreme conditions?
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:51:52 pm »

Anyone have any tips on high altitude photography for Aconcagua, Kilimanjaro, and Denali such as battery life (solar panel?), how to store while moving, light and not expensive tripod, ect...  Would it be wise to get a small point and shoot camera for when I am moving?

thanks,
Blake

Arizona

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:57:02 pm »

In cold weather I store my batteries in a silk Eagle Creek security pouch that fits around my waist but under my cloths. I carry up to four batteries in that pouch while traveling and even sleep with it in my sleeping bag. That will preserve the batteries power life. Just put the current battery that you are using in the little separated pocket so you keep using that one till it runs out of power and move to the next battery. If it is really cold you might have to keep removing the battery and storing it as you hike. If not the cold will kill them till you can get to a recharger setup.

I use the 20D as well.
Glen

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:34:02 pm »

I have used my 30D (same battery I think) in 8-12 degree fahrenheit temps with very good longevity (more than 400 images on a battery).  One difference for me is that I was going into a heated house in the evenings.  Carrying the batteries close to your body is a good idea, but these cameras do very well in cold temps.  

Don't forget to bring an airtight bag for your lenses and camera when you come in out of the cold.  Condensation can be a big problem otherwise.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:36:49 pm »

As for the point and shoot cameras, I am of the opinion that they drain batteries more quickly because of their dependence on the LCD display for taking images.  Anyone I have seen taking them into the cold has had more problems than those with DSLRs.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

MikeMike

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:10:30 am »

I live in Montreal Canada and down here I'v gone shooting in -30/-35 Celcius for about a full day (300 aprox) with my 20D, though i do have a battery grip with two batteries in it. When i got home the charge indicator went down about one fourth.

Hope this help,
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up