Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Color Center Trouble  (Read 9587 times)

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
Z3100 Color Center Trouble
« on: August 10, 2007, 02:26:28 pm »

Any chance that someone out there has experienced "missing" tabs that are normally found in the printer care utility for the z3100...I currently have OVERVIEW and SUPPORT tabs but nothing else.  COLOR CENTER is gone and for whatever reason it will not open- though it is clearly installed.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled printer care utilities and color center downloads from hp.com and designjet.com to no avail.  Thanks for taking the time to read this- would love suggestions if you have any ideas.

A. Andrew Gonzalez

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:00:23 pm »

I get something similar. My z3100 is connected using ethernet (Mac). When it loses the IP address nothing shows up in the color center/utility. I found that powering off the printer and restarting worked to establish a connection... printer color center/utility was functional again.

Hope this helps
A. Andrew Gonzalez
[url=http://www.subli

WaltZ

• http://WaltZPhotography.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 01:49:12 pm »

I have the same problem.  I've tried uninstalling the driver and all HP software.  I uninstalled the driver cleanly using the instructions in other threads of this forum.  After rebooting, I installed the latest driver (61.71.341.0), the latest Easy Printer Care (2.2.1.2), and the latest Color Center (1.2.0.13).  

The support page for the Z3100 shows 2.1.1 as the latest version, but if you search for "Easy Printer Care" on HP's site, you can find version 2.2.1.2.  I don't know if the 3100 page is out of date, or if the new version isn't compatible, but it looks like the same app as the 2.1.1 version.   In any case, neither works.

This is getting very frustrating.  HP doesn't support this printer on nights or weekends, and that is mostly when I use it.

I _really_ wish I could be more help!

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

Thank you both for sharing.  I honestly haven't tried turning the printer off and back on...I'll give that a shot.  One of the ladies I spoke with indicated that these issue were probably more indicative of printers connected via ethernet...WaltZ, is your printer also connected via ethernet.  Truly, I've lost count of the number of times I've uninstalled all of the software/drivers when a problem occurs.  It seems that is always the first recommendation of tech support- it just takes so long.  Most recently they sent me a "scrubber" file so I could achieve a more clean uninstall.  I think I am going to rearrange my working space to hook the printer up via USB.  Finally, thank you for your note regarding the most recent file versions...I'll explore that as well.  I don't know if it matters (it didn't help me) but support told me to download updates from designjet.com rather than hp.com, I'm frustrated that they would even let customers download from hp.com if they believe updates are more prone to "bugs" at hp.com.  Anyway, I appreciate all of your suggestions.
Tripp

WaltZ

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:38:49 pm »

Hi Tripp,

Thanks for the designjet.com tip.  I'll try there too.

After reading Andrew's post I also tried turning off the printer, including the real power switch on the back.  This also made no difference, which is not too surprising since in my case Easy Printer Care is able to get status information from the printer.

At first I was thinking this can't be HP's first attempt at producing a networked printer.  But maybe the two-way communication between the printer and the computer is more sophisticated than previous generations.  I don't know.

I really liked the idea of having the printer plugged into the network, but in reality I'm only going to be printing from one computer so I think I'll see if I have a USB cable that can reach.

Walt

WaltZ

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 07:40:50 pm »

Oops, double post
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:24:18 pm by WaltZ »

WaltZ

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 07:41:27 pm »

Oh, yeah.  I also have the latest firmware:  5.0.0.4.

WaltZ

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:31:19 pm »

Wow.  

I thought it might have to do with my using a network connection instead of a USB connection, so I drove over to the local hardware store and bought a 15' USB cable.  

I uninstalled Easy Printer Care and Color Center, removed the network cable, installed the USB cable, and rebooted.

I reinstalled EPC, rebooted, installed Color Center, and still no Color Center tabs in EPC.  

Hmmm.... I still have old versions of EPC and the driver laying around.  Maybe I'll try those.

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:08:34 am »

Oh gracious!  I can't believe that didn't work either Walt.  Did you already try running a scrubber file too?  Are you receiving any overwrite notifications when you reinstall the software?  Plan C (old utility install) sounds like it might be the best option.  Good luck...I'll let you know if I come across anything worthwhile.
Thanks again,
Tripp

WaltZ

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 01:35:23 pm »

Hi Tripp,

Short version:
It looks like I've finally got it.  You must have version 2.1.1.0 of Easy Printer Care.  Easy Printer Care 2.2.1.2 does not support Color Center.  Do _not_ let the HP Update program install the new version.  It doesn't give any details when it tells you there's a new version, but if you inadvertently let it start downloading you can see 2_2_1 in the filename.   Cancel that sucker!

Slightly longer version:
First, a shameless disclaimer that absolves me of all responsibility:
Follow these instructions at your own risk.  Your mileage may vary.  If you hose your system, _YOU_ did it, not me, even if you followed this to the letter.  If you don't understand what you're doing, don't do it.  Call HP.  Let them walk you through the fix.  They can probably do it in ten minutes.

OK, on with the show!

I'm not certain how many of these steps are absolutely necessary, but the end result is a Z3100 connected to a network cable with Color Center controls that work.  Woo hoo!

NOTE:  These instructions worked for me.  The only HP product I have is the Z3100.  If you have other HP products installed, you may want to be more selective about what you delete.

First, delete a previous install of the HP software:
__Go to Control Panel / Add Remove Programs.
____Uninstall all HP software.  I don't have any other HP printers.  
____On my machine, this consists of:
______HP Designjet Z3100 Photo Series
______HP Color Center
______HP Easy Printer Care (Restart Later)
______HP Proactive Services
______HP Update
__Go to Printers and Faxes.
____The icon for the Z3100 should already be gone.  If not, delete it.
____Select "File", "Server Properties".  
____On the Ports tab, delete all "HPDesignJet..." ports.
____On the Drivers tab, delete the "HP DesignJet Z3100" and
____any others you don't need.
__Delete "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard" and all subfolders
__Delete "C:\Program Files\HP Designjet Z3100 Photo Series" and all subfolders
__Make sure you can see hidden files:
____In a Windows Explorer window, select Tools/Folder Options, then click the View tab.
____In the list, click "Show hidden files and folders" and click OK.
__In Explorer, browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp"
____Delete the "Easy Printer Care" folder
____Delete all folders that start with "HP...".  Again, see the warning above.
____In my case, this was:
______HPEPCCACHE
______HPPS
______HPSU
______HPSUEIE4.YY-
__Reboot

To install the printer using a network connection:
__Install driver version 61.71.341.0, selecting "FILE:" for the connection.
__Once installation is complete, right-click the printer and select Properties.
____On the Ports tab, add an "HP Standard TCP/IP" port.
____Enter the IP address of the printer.
____Check "Always print to this device, even if the IP address changes".

__Install Easy Printer Care 2.1.1, >>> NOT 2.2.1.2! <<<
____Let it reboot

__Install Color Center 1.2

Vwalla!  You're done!  See?  Now _that's_ "Easy Printer Care"!

None of the installs should have given you any "Access Denied", "OK to overwrite these files?" or other error

messages.  If you saw those, you probably didn't delete enough files during the uninstall process.

When you run Color Center, you should see the Color Center tabs in Easy Printer Care.  If not, hey, good luck.

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 08:09:14 pm »

Many, many thanks!!  Good thought about showing hidden files...I'm sure I was missing some of the files that needed to be deleted.  Will give this a go one more time!  Out of curiosity, did you ever get a message that told you specifically Color Center was not supported in the Print Center in the newest version (I did...twice!).  When I told HP that Color Center was NOT supported they seemed to believe it was some kind of bug- but also didn't really seem like they knew what I was talking about?  I find this surprising!  I also find it surprising that more people haven't experienced this problem.  Again, thank you very much for your help.

Hi Tripp,

Short version:
It looks like I've finally got it.  You must have version 2.1.1.0 of Easy Printer Care.  Easy Printer Care 2.2.1.2 does not support Color Center.  Do _not_ let the HP Update program install the new version.  It doesn't give any details when it tells you there's a new version, but if you inadvertently let it start downloading you can see 2_2_1 in the filename.   Cancel that sucker!

Slightly longer version:
First, a shameless disclaimer that absolves me of all responsibility:
Follow these instructions at your own risk.  Your mileage may vary.  If you hose your system, _YOU_ did it, not me, even if you followed this to the letter.  If you don't understand what you're doing, don't do it.  Call HP.  Let them walk you through the fix.  They can probably do it in ten minutes.

OK, on with the show!

I'm not certain how many of these steps are absolutely necessary, but the end result is a Z3100 connected to a network cable with Color Center controls that work.  Woo hoo!

NOTE:  These instructions worked for me.  The only HP product I have is the Z3100.  If you have other HP products installed, you may want to be more selective about what you delete.

First, delete a previous install of the HP software:
__Go to Control Panel / Add Remove Programs.
____Uninstall all HP software.  I don't have any other HP printers. 
____On my machine, this consists of:
______HP Designjet Z3100 Photo Series
______HP Color Center
______HP Easy Printer Care (Restart Later)
______HP Proactive Services
______HP Update
__Go to Printers and Faxes.
____The icon for the Z3100 should already be gone.  If not, delete it.
____Select "File", "Server Properties". 
____On the Ports tab, delete all "HPDesignJet..." ports.
____On the Drivers tab, delete the "HP DesignJet Z3100" and
____any others you don't need.
__Delete "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard" and all subfolders
__Delete "C:\Program Files\HP Designjet Z3100 Photo Series" and all subfolders
__Make sure you can see hidden files:
____In a Windows Explorer window, select Tools/Folder Options, then click the View tab.
____In the list, click "Show hidden files and folders" and click OK.
__In Explorer, browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp"
____Delete the "Easy Printer Care" folder
____Delete all folders that start with "HP...".  Again, see the warning above.
____In my case, this was:
______HPEPCCACHE
______HPPS
______HPSU
______HPSUEIE4.YY-
__Reboot

To install the printer using a network connection:
__Install driver version 61.71.341.0, selecting "FILE:" for the connection.
__Once installation is complete, right-click the printer and select Properties.
____On the Ports tab, add an "HP Standard TCP/IP" port.
____Enter the IP address of the printer.
____Check "Always print to this device, even if the IP address changes".

__Install Easy Printer Care 2.1.1, >>> NOT 2.2.1.2! <<<
____Let it reboot

__Install Color Center 1.2

Vwalla!  You're done!  See?  Now _that's_ "Easy Printer Care"!

None of the installs should have given you any "Access Denied", "OK to overwrite these files?" or other error

messages.  If you saw those, you probably didn't delete enough files during the uninstall process.

When you run Color Center, you should see the Color Center tabs in Easy Printer Care.  If not, hey, good luck.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WaltZ

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 10:49:54 pm »

Many, many thanks!!  Good thought about showing hidden files...I'm sure I was missing some of the files that needed to be deleted.  Will give this a go one more time!  Out of curiosity, did you ever get a message that told you specifically Color Center was not supported in the Print Center in the newest version (I did...twice!).  When I told HP that Color Center was NOT supported they seemed to believe it was some kind of bug- but also didn't really seem like they knew what I was talking about?  I find this surprising!  I also find it surprising that more people haven't experienced this problem.  Again, thank you very much for your help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think I got the message the first time I upgraded to 2.2, but it was late.  I definitely haven't gotten it since.  I also didn't know what that meant:  had HP merged the functions of Color Center into Easy Printer Care?  What functions did Color Center provide?

I agree it's kind of bizarre for a company to produce a version of their own software that disables key functionality for one of their higher-end products.  The only reason I can come up with is that maybe EPC is used by both the consumer printers and the pro ones, and the two groups don't talk to each other.

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:21 pm »

Back to the previous version...everything is working fine!!  Thanks.

I think I got the message the first time I upgraded to 2.2, but it was late.  I definitely haven't gotten it since.  I also didn't know what that meant:  had HP merged the functions of Color Center into Easy Printer Care?  What functions did Color Center provide?

I agree it's kind of bizarre for a company to produce a version of their own software that disables key functionality for one of their higher-end products.  The only reason I can come up with is that maybe EPC is used by both the consumer printers and the pro ones, and the two groups don't talk to each other.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 10:52:41 am »

Ah, thanks for this thread.  
I just tried to upgrade HP Easy Printer Care from version 2.1.1.1 to version 2.2.1 and got this funny error message. Seems it will be better not doing the update.

[attachment=3424:attachment]

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 11:50:12 am »

I think I got the message the first time I upgraded to 2.2, but it was late.  I definitely haven't gotten it since.  I also didn't know what that meant:  had HP merged the functions of Color Center into Easy Printer Care?  What functions did Color Center provide?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yesterday I uploaded the upgrade files to the harddisc and canceled the upgrade as soon as the warning appeared that it wouldn't support the other programs. Must have been a good decision then :-)

Maybe this is an early bird of the upcoming upgrades.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 12:14:15 pm »

I don't why HP are so tight ass about making the remove tool THEY have available to us end users.
Anyway it exists, and they should make it available for those who need a shell script to remove all the stuff they throw onto the hard disk.
I see from the above post that my access denied errors when installing EFI Colorproof XF is probably due to an HP port . I'm terrible on PC's thus this thread is great and very helpful. Kudos friends.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »

When the network connection is disrupted it reassigns a new ip address to the printer automatically and it shows it right on the printer screen.  If not, it's right in the connectivity menu.

I've found that leaving everything alone (this is of course on Mac OSX) the way to work around quickly is to simply delete the printer (Sys preferences>Print/Fax> highlight printer then click the minus sign bottom left).  Go out of the Print/Fax thingy then go back in and add a new printer by clicking the + sign (bottom left) then a new window comes up, then choose IP Printer at top, and IPP from the drop down menu, then enter the new IP adress that the printer has (something like 198.168.0.4 - whatever the printer says it is, as it's new address).

Pretty easy really.  It will come up as the printer ID number and I quickly change it to HP Design Jet Z3100 and then go back into Color Center, and voila - back in business.  A little bit of a pain, but nothing like uninstalling and reinstalling the software.  Sheesh - it's really not that big of a deal - it just lost it's previous IP adress - nothing to get freaked out about.

ON A MAC, that is...  can't say what to do on a PC.  

BTW - you can easily uninstall any version by using the uninstall option that's right on the original startup kit disk... no?

And if installing any new versions, I recommend getting rid of all previous installs and going from scratch with new.  This is what I've done, and have no problems, knock on wood...
(Again, ON A MAC.  - YMMV-FWIW)

Best -

Mark
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:41:12 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up