Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a website thats integrated w/Lightroom  (Read 6300 times)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Need a website thats integrated w/Lightroom
« on: August 10, 2007, 07:56:30 am »

I need to update my website and have been looking for a product that would allow me to upload galleries to my site and have it automatically create (and manage) the galleries.  I envision a page that displays each gallery, providing a thumbnail of one of the images in that gallery, along with a name and link to the full gallery site.

Does such an animal exist?  I really don't want to invest a lot of time learning HTML or Flash but want something that once set up is easily manageable.

On a slightly different subject, is there a way to edit an existing gallery that is uploaded to the web without having the program create an entirely new output file?  It would be nice for it to synch up with the uploaded file and make changes only to files that have been modified.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

jdlevy

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:43:42 pm »

I need to update my website and have been looking for a product that would allow me to upload galleries to my site and have it automatically create (and manage) the galleries.  I envision a page that displays each gallery, providing a thumbnail of one of the images in that gallery, along with a name and link to the full gallery site.

Does such an animal exist?  I really don't want to invest a lot of time learning HTML or Flash but want something that once set up is easily manageable.

On a slightly different subject, is there a way to edit an existing gallery that is uploaded to the web without having the program create an entirely new output file?  It would be nice for it to synch up with the uploaded file and make changes only to files that have been modified.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adam,

I have a Mac only solution. I use iWeb (part of Apple's iLife suite) to create a front page that points (links) to several Lightroom generated galleries that I loaded to my .MAC account.

See an example at:  [a href=\"http://web.mac.com/jdavidlevy/iWeb/OTSL_2007/OTSL%202007.html]http://web.mac.com/jdavidlevy/iWeb/OTSL_20...TSL%202007.html[/url]
David
 My

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:09:57 pm »

All gallery pages on my website (still in beta) are created using and hosted by ExposureManager and their web-based software. It doesn't require any html knowledge, and you have a few different gallery styles to choose from. You upload pictures to their server by drag-and-dropping them from your HDD, create a gallery or many, and can arrange, keyword, describe, etc. all within their UI - I'm very happy with them as my HTML-skills are quite limited. If you're willing to learn some HTML, it's quite easy to customize even further. You can also set up sales of prints, digital files, etc. if you so choose. I think they have a free test period so you can see if it's worth it.

Godaddy.com also has a gallery service with plenty of different styles and no html skills required. Of course there are other, free options, such as PhotoSIG (which I also use, quite good and very easy to set up), flickr and dbase, which offer functionality which might or might not be up to your requirements.

Finally, I think you can just upload a Lightroom-generated html or flash gallery to your own domain somehow and it shows up on the web. I know you need ftp to do that, as well as a hosting service and a domain, but that's where my knowledge ends, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:13:23 pm by feppe »

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:03:35 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking for something slightly different.  While I do own a Mac, I don't want to use their .mac platform as it does not have a mechanism to allow me to use my domain name.   It also looks like you had to manually add the links...although I would agree that that process in iWeb is likely an easy thing to do.

Feppe, your solution seems to bypass the Lightroom web feature all together by uploading images in a different service.  This sounds similar to the gallary.com free software that I have on my current website.  

My ideal solution would be to have an automated mechanism where I can simply click on the upload to web button, have it create a new gallery and create links from a 'main' web gallery page.   It would be a nice feature to be able to log into my website and then delete old galleries as well.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:16:43 pm »

My ideal solution would be to have an automated mechanism where I can simply click on the upload to web button, have it create a new gallery and create links from a 'main' web gallery page.   It would be a nice feature to be able to log into my website and then delete old galleries as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm afraid there's no click-and-forget web galleries - someone correct me if I'm wrong -, so you'll have to get your hands dirty one way or another.

I think the easiest way to do this would be to create a gallery within Lightroom and upload it to a server. You'll have to just google for a tutorial how to do that with LR and godaddy or whatever service provider you have, as I'm sure there's info on that. Maybe not LR specific, but some simple ftp instructions. When you've set that up and learned the few commands, updating should be semi-automatic.

andersonl

• http://www.lcanderson.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:26:17 pm »

The new version of .mac and iweb (released this week) does allow you to use your own domain name and host it on .mac.  It might be an answer for youy.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:06:11 pm »

My website is through Microsoft Office Live.  It has a lot going for it -- including the free "Basic" version, which I have.  It is not so good for photographers, especially if you want to set up a gallery in CS3 or, I assume, Lightroom.  On the other hand, you don't have to know HTML at all provided you use the OL templates; which is what I have done.  A workaround for the gallery upload shortcoming problem is to reference a separate site which I've been able to do by pasting in some HTML code that was given in the MS OL forums.  So for my separate site, I use the free personal webpage from my Internet provider.  This is referenced in my (wife's) MS OL site.

So MS Office Live Basic is a workable solution.  It probably is not exactly what you want but you should check it out.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

The View

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 02:22:11 am »

Why don't you just go to a host like Lunarpages, where you get a very good package for around 8$ a month. You can have up to ten web addresses for this package, and upload ten different LR galleries.

I researched creating a web presence as a photographer, and found out that for a start LR's web module is the best solution. Downside is, that you can only add one page with text.

You have three options:

1. Use templates
2. Learn HTML and create a site yourself
3. Hire a professional

I found the following, well reviewed freeware Textmate for website creation, but I don't know how it works with displaying photos.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16157
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 04:57:05 am »

If what you're wanting to do is string together your Lightroom-generated galleries, learn a bit of HTML. You'll be able to create a linking structure menu and other pages as you need. You'll also be able to make the thing look more coherent than struggling to fit these Lightroom-generated galleries into another gallery system. It's not rocket science.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up