Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking an Epson 2200  (Read 2249 times)

Don Davis

Networking an Epson 2200
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:47:59 am »

I have my 2200 connected by Firewire to my G4 iMac.  Just bought a new MacBook Pro and installed the latest Intel Mac drivers from Epson's web site and I have printer sharing turned on.  When I print, I get what looks like a generic print dialog box instead of the Epson 2200 box, so I don't have all the choices available, such as icc profile, no color management, etc.  Can anyone tell me how to print on my network with the Epson 2200 printer driver?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:48:39 pm »

Right, when you share from a PPC machine only other PPC machines can print to with with the appropriate features. When you share from an Intel mac only Intel macs can print to it. Dang, I don't know why Epson couldn't just release a Universal Binary driver that would work for everyone.

In one of my client's offices I have an Epson connected to a PPC machine via USB, and an Intel Mac connected via Firewire. The shared printers are labeled with PPC or Intel so that users on the network know which one to use. The simultaneous connections work fine.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:49:36 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Don Davis

Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 06:51:48 pm »

Thanks.  Leave it to Epson to make this difficult!

Right, when you share from a PPC machine only other PPC machines can print to with with the appropriate features. When you share from an Intel mac only Intel macs can print to it. Dang, I don't know why Epson couldn't just release a Universal Binary driver that would work for everyone.

In one of my client's offices I have an Epson connected to a PPC machine via USB, and an Intel Mac connected via Firewire. The shared printers are labeled with PPC or Intel so that users on the network know which one to use. The simultaneous connections work fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don Davis

Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 08:37:18 pm »

Thanks.  Leave it to Epson to make this difficult!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132572\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After reaching Level 2 at Epson Support, there are 2 solutions:

1.  A shared printer to an Intel Mac can be used by a PPC Mac as a photo printer.  (I haven't tested this.)

2.  Connect the 2200 to an Airport Express or Extreme, then each computer will use it's own driver and the printer will function as a photo printer.  ( I have tested this with my Airport Express and it works perfectly.)  However, to perform cleanings, head alignments, etc, you must be directly connected to the printer.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:10 pm »

1.  A shared printer to an Intel Mac can be used by a PPC Mac as a photo printer.  (I haven't tested this.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have done that on the Epson 2200 and can confirm that it does not work. For that printer the drivers are Intel *or* PPC - a Universal Binary is not available (at least the last time I checked). Some of the newer printers do utilize a universal binary driver so that sharing and usage between PPC and Intel macs is a non-issue.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up