Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera to Print...  (Read 4971 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Camera to Print...
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:36:27 pm »

First up - Im a paid up LL subscriber, own every issue. Plus, own all the LR tutorials.

Im not sure if FCTP is going to be right for me... I use DPP and a Canon Pixma Pro9500 with Easy Photo Print Plug in.

I know Michael and Jeff use LR and CS3 [I only use CS3 for touching up what I cant do in DPP].

So just wondering if there is still value in FCTP for me.. or if it really just focuses on how to print from LR and CS3?

Would apprecaite some feedback from people who have already watched the tutorial.

Thanks.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Camera to Print...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:19:33 am »

First up - Im a paid up LL subscriber, own every issue. Plus, own all the LR tutorials.

Im not sure if FCTP is going to be right for me... I use DPP and a Canon Pixma Pro9500 with Easy Photo Print Plug in.

I know Michael and Jeff use LR and CS3 [I only use CS3 for touching up what I cant do in DPP].

So just wondering if there is still value in FCTP for me.. or if it really just focuses on how to print from LR and CS3?

Would apprecaite some feedback from people who have already watched the tutorial.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The principles discussed still apply.  Yes there are some specific tips and tricks from LR.  However, the discussion is far broader, and the concepts apply no matter which RAW converter you are using. For example,  I have never heard "expose to the right" explained so well, even though I have been using that concept since I first read about it here on LL.  

I'm only about 1/2 way through it, and haven't watched the soft proofing part yet. After reading some of the discussion here regarding that segment, that part alone may be worth the entire cost to me, since currently I find soft proofing an excercise in futility, so I "hard" proof ... kind of like the old days in the darkroom.  Print an 8x10 and see how it looks.

The RAW conversion part of the tutorial is but a small part of what they have included ... it really is from "Camera to Print" ... capture to output.

Josh-H

Camera to Print...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:28:52 am »

The principles discussed still apply.  Yes there are some specific tips and tricks from LR.  However, the discussion is far broader, and the concepts apply no matter which RAW converter you are using. For example,  I have never heard "expose to the right" explained so well, even though I have been using that concept since I first read about it here on LL. 

I'm only about 1/2 way through it, and haven't watched the soft proofing part yet. After reading some of the discussion here regarding that segment, that part alone may be worth the entire cost to me, since currently I find soft proofing an excercise in futility, so I "hard" proof ... kind of like the old days in the darkroom.  Print an 8x10 and see how it looks.

The RAW conversion part of the tutorial is but a small part of what they have included ... it really is from "Camera to Print" ... capture to output.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Wayne - I appreciate you taking the time to give me your feedback. Sounds like its another 'must-have' tutorial from Michael and Jeff.

Thanks.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

Camera to Print...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 03:34:29 am »

Ordered this afternoon and now downloading. :-)
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Tam

• http://
Camera to Print...
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 05:25:42 pm »

I hope that no one feels that the Tutorial is not relevant to their workflow, even if they don't possess the finest printers, or the most meticulous instrument with which to calibrate their, perhaps, not-so-bloody aristocratic monitor. Many of us who might even venture, heaven forbid, to produce a print which is glossy, (dare I say it??), on occasion (by mistake or poverty), or indeed, who cannot afford to print on archival photo rag paper every time, but who, nevertheless, are truly interested in gaining a great deal of information about arcane and wonderful notions such as softproofing and why and similar profound issues.

I am not blessed with a huge budget but, nevertheless, I enjoyed every minute of Michael and Jeff's wonderful tutorial. I will watch it again, and make notes about the parts which will bear future examination.

Thank you, gentlemen. I highly recommend that everyone purchase the thing and watch it often.  

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Camera to Print...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 05:55:49 pm »

I'll add that if someone does not yet have a calibration tool at the very least for their monitor, they will not be able to use much of the series.  The whole idea revolves around having a set base of standards, and that is simply a must have.

It's probably just plain fun to watch for anyone though, so it's certainly entertainment on the cheap regardless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up