Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: UltraPortable PCs For P1 Live Video  (Read 7999 times)

cgf

• http://
UltraPortable PCs For P1 Live Video
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 01:44:13 am »

Regarding the Fujitsu U1010, it appears it only has CF and SD card slots, in addition to the USB and Ethernet (according to their web site, at least). No mention of Firewire or a PCMIA card slot. I wonder if a CF card implementing a Firewire port is available.

Oops, you're right! I should slow down when I'm reading.

Reading through their site, looks like the smallest option with on-board PC-card is the P1610, the earlier model (1510) didn't have it.

Specs on P1610: http://www.fujitsu.com/sg/services/computi...1610/specs.html

Jost von Allmen

• https://www.jostvonallmen.com
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 05:42:49 am »

Hi Jost. I'm still waiting on my P45+ as well, tho I'm certainly getting great results with my P45 in the meantime.

You mention using a ground glass on your SWA. I've been considering their TC model, but I have heard so many conflicting reports on this forum and elsewhere regarding the ease, or difficulty, of using a ground glass for precise focussing, that I've held off making a final decision. It's because of these conflicting reports that I'm looking at these small PCs in the first place, since that would give me the biggest possible image on which to judge focus. What has been your experience with focussing with a ground glass? How easy or hard is it, and do you feel that you can reliably achieve critical focus using it, especially given how small the sensor image is on the ground glass? Which ground glass are you using - the version that came with your SWA, or a third party upgrade?

Regards,
Mort
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mort
In fact because I find focussing on the original ground glass provided by ALPA so easy, to buy a portable solution for live preview isn't high on my list.
I use f4 HR Rodenstocks and the f5.6 Schneider 180mm Apo Digitar, so because of the limited depht of field and bright view, composing and focussing is fast and precise.
And I definitely want to use the new display of the P45+ first, which should let me judge focus (after shooting) a lot better than on the current P45, where it's practically impossible outdoors.
To focus I'm using a Schneider  6X aspheric platinum loupe, which is a excellent tool, good compromise between magnification and field of view.
The handling is very similar to shooting 4"x5" in the old days, having to change from the ground glass to the back.
While I focus, I put the back (turned off..) in my open rucksack, sensor unprotected but facing down.
And although I had originally expected to have dust problems with this procedure, I actually have less than using a 35mm DSLR after changing lenses often outdoors!
Jost von Allmen
Switzerland
www.jostvonallmen.com

jonstewart

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 09:17:26 am »

Hi Jon. I make that resolution to myself several times a day, to no avail :-) Actually, the UX series, as you suggested, looks perfect except for the Firewire omission, so thanks for mentioning it. I just saw another post in this thread about a new Fujitsu with an even smaller form factor, so I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about it.

Regards,
Mort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad it was of some use. I'll be looking for same myself in the next few months.
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 02:39:45 pm »

In fact because I find focussing on the original ground glass provided by ALPA so easy, to buy a portable solution for live preview isn't high on my list.
Thanks Jost. I guess I'm running out of reasons for putting off the purchase :-)
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up