Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: UltraPortable PCs For P1 Live Video  (Read 8000 times)

Mort54

• http://
UltraPortable PCs For P1 Live Video
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:05:18 pm »

Has anyone found an ultraportable PC or gadget that can be used to display the new Phase One + live video output in the field? I'm looking for something to use as a focusing aid on a techincal view camera (yes, I know I could use ground glass, and laser range finders, etc, but for this thread, I'm interested only in an ultracompact PC or gadget to display Live Video). I assume that such a device would have to run Capture One, and be able to display the live video window. A regular or compact laptop is too big for what I'm looking for.

The Sony VAIO UX50 is the right size, but it doesn't have a built in Firewire port (you have to add a dock to get the Firewire port), and as far as I know, you can't do Live Video without the Firewire port. The Samsung Q1 also looks to be about the right size, but as far as I can tell, it also lacks a Firewire port.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:18:07 pm »

Mort - My travel computer is a Dell XPS M1210 12 inch screen dual core with 4GB RAM.  I run Win XP Pro with CS3 and C1 Pro without any problems.  I tried the live view thing shortly after getting my P30 and it worked fine for me.  Oh, I also have the larger battery that last at least 4 hrs with the power turned all the way up.

I don't think there's a smaller powerful PC out there.  Take a look on Dell.com for the specs and watch out for sticker shock!

don
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 03:18:53 pm by Iron Creek »

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:40:47 am »

Try a used 12" Mac G4 Powerbook. Should be able to get one for under US$600. It's no barn-burner, but those cost $$$ and will have more than you need and are costly if stolen/damaged. Has firewire, CD/DVD burner, etc. Hell, for that price, I'll sell you mine ;>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:42:02 am by Conner999 »

jonstewart

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:02:33 pm »

If you're really after ultra compact, you should look at the sony UX. Not sure it may fulfil all your other requirements though.
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Mort54

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:58:43 pm »

If you're really after ultra compact, you should look at the sony UX. Not sure it may fulfil all your other requirements though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, as I mentioned in my original post, the UX doesn't have Firewire, and the Phase One back live video needs the Firewire connection. Other than that, the UX looks ideal, at least as far as size goes.

Mort54

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:05:48 pm »

Try a used 12" Mac G4 Powerbook. Should be able to get one for under US$600. It's no barn-burner, but those cost $$$ and will have more than you need and are costly if stolen/damaged. Has firewire, CD/DVD burner, etc. Hell, for that price, I'll sell you mine ;>
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm looking for an ultraportable (something around the size of a PDA, or maybe just slightly bigger, like the Sony UX50), so I think the Mac is too big for what I want. I don't plan on using it for any processing, etc. I just want something that will display the Phase One back live video at 100% so I can focus the lens. Technical view cameras don't have viewfinders, and ground glass has it's limitations, so I'm basically looking for an ultraportable to use as a fancy electronic viewfinder.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:23:46 pm »

Mort - how about a Fujitsu P70?

RicAgu

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 02:27:42 pm »

It would be great if Apple came out with a new version of the Newton for our industry with firewire 400 or 800.

a 5x7 screen with a qwerty keyboard, small touch mouse like the IBM and about a 100 gig hard drive.  Kind of like a big version of the iPhone with out the phone just a WiFi micro machine.

Unfortunately we are too small of a market.  But it could also be used as POS machine with a bar code scanner for location merch sales.  Kind of like what the sales people at the Apple stores currently use to sell with out the need to go to the register.

If they ever do make it, I hope it has a removeable battery.  The only problem the iPhone has at the moment.

We can only hope.

Mort54

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:44:04 pm »

It would be great if Apple came out with a new version of the Newton for our industry with firewire 400 or 800.

a 5x7 screen with a qwerty keyboard, small touch mouse like the IBM and about a 100 gig hard drive.  Kind of like a big version of the iPhone with out the phone just a WiFi micro machine.

Unfortunately we are too small of a market.  But it could also be used as POS machine with a bar code scanner for location merch sales.  Kind of like what the sales people at the Apple stores currently use to sell with out the need to go to the register.

If they ever do make it, I hope it has a removeable battery.  The only problem the iPhone has at the moment.

We can only hope.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Personally I'd like to see Phase One come out with a little gizmo that plugs into the Firewire port and uses the new Live Video function for focus support in the field. Not a peep from them, however.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:05:11 pm by Mort54 »

Mort54

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:11:08 pm »

Mort - how about a Fujitsu P70?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Don, I think you may have a winner :-) I looked over the specs, and while it doesn't have built in Firewire, it does have a Type II PCMIA slot, so Firewire could be easily added. It also has a transreflective screen, so the screen image would be very visible outdoors in bright sunshine. It's a little bit bigger and heavier than I would like, but it's the closest thing to what I'm looking for that anyone has come up with. Thanks for the suggestion.

P.S. Apparently in the U.S. it's now called a "Lifebook P1610".

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:55:58 pm »

Mort - Glad I could help.  I had one of these many years ago and found them to be solid as a rock.  Take a look at the ST5100, its a tablet PC but it also has firewire! I'll have to check my junk drawer but I think I have a very little used firewire pc card that you can take off my hands if you go the P70 route.  Also check ebay as I used to see these come up everyonce and a while.

don

Mort54

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:03:23 pm »

I'll have to check my junk drawer but I think I have a very little used firewire pc card that you can take off my hands if you go the P70 route.
Hi Don. I actually have a PCMIA Firewire card,  but thanks anyway.

cgf

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:55:25 am »

...It's a little bit bigger and heavier than I would like..  ...in the U.S. it's now called a "Lifebook P1610".

Even smaller, the new U-series Fujitsu with 5.6" screen. Again no firewire, but a pc-card slot.

I have the Q-series, 12" widescreen, with firewire onboard plus usb, Fujitsu make top-quality laptops.

Jack Varney

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 12:23:49 pm »

You might want to look into the OQO PC at  http://www.oqo.com/
Megavision uses them with their backs. The device weighs 1lb. and is 5.6x3.3x1 inch. It has a 5" screen, 1.5 ghz processor, 60GB drive and a keyboard. It also has wireless capability.

The problem may be no firewire. I did not see it listed in the specs but USB was listed. If they don't have firewire now maybe they will or plan to add it.

If memory serves me (no guarantees here) the price was around $2000.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:25:19 pm by Beachconnection »
Jack Varney

jonstewart

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 12:30:33 pm »

Well, as I mentioned in my original post, the UX doesn't have Firewire, and the Phase One back live video needs the Firewire connection. Other than that, the UX looks ideal, at least as far as size goes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Apologies for wasting your time on that one.  Plumb forgot about that deficiency!

Note to self: Read the f$$$ing post properly next time, dummy :-)
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Jost von Allmen

• https://www.jostvonallmen.com
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 01:38:25 pm »

Try http://www.motioncomputing.com/
They've got several interesting models, although you'd have to use a pc-card to add firewire.
What I like in particular is the rugged design, bright display and the gigabit connection, so the download of the images won't take long, once back at home.

I'm looking around for a small solution for live preview myself (my new P45+ should arrive in August), but currently take the time and work with a ground glass for precise focussing (on ALPA SWA).

Good luck with your choice and pleas keep us informed if you find a good solution
Jost von Allmen
Switzerland
www.jostvonallmen.com

st326

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 03:33:46 pm »

I use an OQO with my Megavision back in the field. It works pretty well -- palm sized, runs Windows XP tablet edition, it has USB, firewire and wifi built in. The screen is small, but it's transflective so you can use it in direct sunlight if you tilt it to the correct angle. I'd probably use it with my Better Light too, but the Better Light software requires a bigger display.

ETA: Check that the newer model actually has firewire, though -- I'm using an O1+ which definitely does.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 03:35:42 pm by st326 »

Mort54

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 09:27:13 pm »

Note to self: Read the f$$$ing post properly next time, dummy :-)
Hi Jon. I make that resolution to myself several times a day, to no avail :-) Actually, the UX series, as you suggested, looks perfect except for the Firewire omission, so thanks for mentioning it. I just saw another post in this thread about a new Fujitsu with an even smaller form factor, so I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about it.

Regards,
Mort.

Mort54

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 09:49:51 pm »

I'm looking around for a small solution for live preview myself (my new P45+ should arrive in August), but currently take the time and work with a ground glass for precise focussing (on ALPA SWA).
Hi Jost. I'm still waiting on my P45+ as well, tho I'm certainly getting great results with my P45 in the meantime.

You mention using a ground glass on your SWA. I've been considering their TC model, but I have heard so many conflicting reports on this forum and elsewhere regarding the ease, or difficulty, of using a ground glass for precise focussing, that I've held off making a final decision. It's because of these conflicting reports that I'm looking at these small PCs in the first place, since that would give me the biggest possible image on which to judge focus. What has been your experience with focussing with a ground glass? How easy or hard is it, and do you feel that you can reliably achieve critical focus using it, especially given how small the sensor image is on the ground glass? Which ground glass are you using - the version that came with your SWA, or a third party upgrade?

Regards,
Mort

Mort54

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 10:13:48 pm »

Regarding the Fujitsu U1010, it appears it only has CF and SD card slots, in addition to the USB and Ethernet (according to their web site, at least). No mention of Firewire or a PCMIA card slot. I wonder if a CF card implementing a Firewire port is available.

Regarding the OQO, it looks like the 01 model (which has a Firewire port) has been discontinued (at least it's not on their web site anymore). Unfortunately, the 02 model specs don't list Firewire or a suitable expansion card slot to add Firewire.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up