Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great quality photo postcards from online printer?  (Read 8209 times)

The View

Great quality photo postcards from online printer?
« on: August 08, 2007, 07:38:40 pm »

I'd like to print four portraits on one postcard, and add contact info, name, etc. for advertising means.

Has anybody of you done this before, and how were your experiences?

Do you know:

Printingforless.com

Sir Speedy

modernpostcards.com

4by6.com

?

Or do you have particularly good experience with a printer?

Thanks.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Paul Burwell

• Burwell School of Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:07:26 pm »

Hi,

I've used OvernightPrints.com with good success.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:08:14 pm by Paul Burwell »
Best regards,
 Paul Burwell [url=http://w

Drew Baker

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:12:45 pm »

I've gotten business cards through both copycraft.com and gotprint.com.  Very different products, but both were good experiences.  

(GotPrint's cards are very thick, slick, and glossy.  Copy Craft's are more normal weight and feel, but the printing is sharper and can carry more detail.)

--Drew

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:45:48 pm »

Did it and learned a lot about CMYK conversions! Make sure that the printer knows what you want in terms of colors, a paper proof is expensive but worth while.

Mark

The View

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:18:10 am »

Did it and learned a lot about CMYK conversions! Make sure that the printer knows what you want in terms of colors, a paper proof is expensive but worth while.

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm working with Lightroom, and really don't know how to do that, and in which application (I don't have Photoshop yet).

I was recommended doing a design with apples's "Pages" application, but I doubt that this software can do anything like that.

I'll get Photoshop sooner or later, but as for now, I have to do without.

Are CMYK conversions necessary for printing? Printers that I contacted only asked for Pdf files.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Cstrikedish

• http://cstrikedish.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 05:22:16 am »

I used this web-based application to edit, save, email and print my photos. It is great!
GO, GO, GO! [url=http://cstrikedish.blog

Chris_T

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 08:30:11 am »

Another vote for GotPrint. Here's why:

- exactly 4"x6", others are cropped.

- very detailed preparation instructions, including a template for PS.

- live and knowledgeable person to respond to phone inquiries.

- costs a lot less.

- very satisfied with the print and paper quality.

I've gotten business cards through both copycraft.com and gotprint.com.  Very different products, but both were good experiences. 

(GotPrint's cards are very thick, slick, and glossy.  Copy Craft's are more normal weight and feel, but the printing is sharper and can carry more detail.)

--Drew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:31:57 am by Chris_T »

The View

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 01:11:23 am »

I will put gotprint on top of my list, thanks!

I used this web-based application to edit, save, email and print my photos. It is great!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does that mean you don't download that application to your computer, but upload your images into that website's application and then create the postcard?

How do you get this created postcard to the printer? Can you e-mail it?

Thanks!

Christerart

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:34 pm »

I've used overnightprints.com also for several years, mainly for double sided business cards - probably had them print 15 or so by now.

However, as they have grown, their color and quality control has gotten erratic - of course they "gang" the various clients and print a number at the same time - and this sometimes results in color shifts.

Lately I have been very disappointed, especially with images supposed to be black and white. Despite calls, emails and reprinting the whole order - I have ordered as many as 7 bus cards at one time - the re-print order came back worse than the original.

It was obvious that several of the cards were printed in different batches - some had a greenish tint on one side and a magenta tint on the other.

And they refused to reprint the order again so I am now looking for another printer.

Added to the problem in communicating with them is that you cannot "speak" with anyone but the  phone reps - and most of them - at least the ones I've been able to get thru to - are not very proficient with the English language.

Christer

Hi,

I've used OvernightPrints.com with good success.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The View

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 02:25:49 am »

With postcards presenting your work for advertisement this is even more critical.

Especially as I don't want the usual 4 by 6 format, as they don't fit into the literature holder you can buy. They only take 3 3/4 wide cards.

The View

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:40:50 pm »

Adding an update.

Gotprint is totally out of the question. They gang print (put several jobs together), which gives color shifts of 15 to 20% (their numbers).

They have no matte paper option.

And, above all, they do not recommend using photos for postcards.

What anybody looking for a good photo printer nees is spot printing, where they adjust the machines for your job. It is far more expensive, but this cheap gotprint work is totally useless.

I am glad I drove by and looked them in the eye before (not) ordering.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 09:12:08 am »

I've used Modern Postcard for exhibit announcements and been very pleased with the results. I would definitely check their website and download their profiles and other planning materials.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

nchopp

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 09:31:45 am »

I've had great experience with White House Custom Color - www.whcc.com - for straight photo printing, I've never worked with their postcards or other products. However, given the fantastic service and quality I've gotten on them so far leads me to believe they'd be a good option.

Chris_T

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 08:38:22 am »

Different printers serve different purposes. Gotprint maybe "totally useless" for your purpose, but it served me well.

My recommendation for Gotprint was based on a photo postcard for an exhibit invitation. It came out very well for that purpose, at the best price I could find.

For a purpose like yours, I would not consider an online printer that I have never used before and expect getting the desired result in my first order. Instead, I would find a local service I can communicate with face to face, view test prints, and make adjustments before the final batch is run. And I would expect to pay big bucks for it.

Adding an update.

Gotprint is totally out of the question. They gang print (put several jobs together), which gives color shifts of 15 to 20% (their numbers).

They have no matte paper option.

And, above all, they do not recommend using photos for postcards.

What anybody looking for a good photo printer nees is spot printing, where they adjust the machines for your job. It is far more expensive, but this cheap gotprint work is totally useless.

I am glad I drove by and looked them in the eye before (not) ordering.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 12:14:01 am »

I'd like to print four portraits on one postcard, and add contact info, name, etc. for advertising means.

Has anybody of you done this before, and how were your experiences?

Do you know:

Printingforless.com

Sir Speedy

modernpostcards.com

4by6.com
?
Or do you have particularly good experience with a printer?

Thanks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because you mentioned "portraits", one company comes to mind, only because they have been specializing in studio photographers for some time.

[a href=\"http://www.marathonpress.com/]http://www.marathonpress.com/[/url]

Personally I've never used them, but have seen them at trade shows including PP of A and WPPI.  The sample's look terrific.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:33:11 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up