Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Z3100 Firmware v6  (Read 13224 times)

DotCom Editor

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:04 pm »

Don't know if this has been shared, so I'll jump in...

I received the following info from HP's public-relations agency today, Aug. 8. It's not under embargo, so I'll share it here. Three PDF tech notes were sent along with the following text:

====

There is a new firmware for the printer that should be available by end of summer. Attached are some tech notes from HP regarding the new capabilities, but here are some highlights:

New Firmware coming with new capabilities: Firmware v6

--Loading sheets with ragged edges – In Firmware 6, customers will have the option to load without doing a skew check.

--Improvement when adding a custom paper – The process of adding a custom paper has been improved in firmware 6. This new version allows users to select ink limiting; this is the amount of ink placed on the paper.

--Export paper presets – With this new functionality you will be able to export and import previously created paper presets packages, so it will be easier to share with your colleagues

rdonson

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:26:36 pm »

Very interesting announcements.  I've been searching the HP website to see if the PDFs are available there but its like finding a needle in a haystack.
Regards,
Ron

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:12:31 pm »

There is a new firmware for the printer that should be available by end of summer. Attached are some tech notes from HP regarding the new capabilities, but here are some highlights:

New Firmware coming with new capabilities: Firmware v6

--Loading sheets with ragged edges – In Firmware 6, customers will have the option to load without doing a skew check.

--Improvement when adding a custom paper – The process of adding a custom paper has been improved in firmware 6. This new version allows users to select ink limiting; this is the amount of ink placed on the paper.

--Export paper presets – With this new functionality you will be able to export and import previously created paper presets packages, so it will be easier to share with your colleagues
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,
Can you tell me does that pdf mention specifically firmware updates for the Z3100ps GP model in the Z line? HP seems to be leaving us ps owners out of the fun?

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:24:59 am »

Hi,
Can you tell me does that pdf mention specifically firmware updates for the Z3100ps GP model in the Z line? HP seems to be leaving us ps owners out of the fun?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey!  As a fellow ps GP APS (man I love acronyms) owner, I'm trying to look at the glass as half full.  

They nailed the separation tables and color gamut and haven't needed to upgrade the firmware to fix the problems of the standard model, right?  I honestly haven't gotten past the first few prints and some profiling on my new printer, so I can't speak from experience yet.  

That said, those new features do sound nice.  It will be interesting to see if the two models are fine tuned by HP with the same commitment.  I'm sure the standard model has sold many, many times more than the APS version.

-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Pigmenta

• http://www.poster.hu
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:56:52 am »

As far...

There are three dates in HP's release plans:
Firmware 6.0.0.x will come with a new driver set (Win 6.71.8xx..., Mac 5.1 Raster and 4.1.1 PS)
Z2100 - 27.08.2007
Z3100 - 08.08.2007
Z3100ps - 05.09.2007
The Windows driver will be compatible with Vista.
The raster driver will enable to print more than 2,7 meters.

Aug 10th today and the Z3100 driver - planned 08.08 - is not available yet...

Tom
Tom - Hungary

jpmulligan

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 02:55:23 am »

The Vista driver is now available through Windows Update as of today, August 10th

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 03:02:25 pm »

Hey!  As a fellow ps GP APS (man I love acronyms) owner, I'm trying to look at the glass as half full. 

They nailed the separation tables and color gamut and haven't needed to upgrade the firmware to fix the problems of the standard model, right?  I honestly haven't gotten past the first few prints and some profiling on my new printer, so I can't speak from experience yet. 

That said, those new features do sound nice.  It will be interesting to see if the two models are fine tuned by HP with the same commitment.  I'm sure the standard model has sold many, many times more than the APS version.

-Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132464\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Ron,
I am praying HP treats "our Z model ps GP" with the same affection.

BTW, I'm on the Mac OS X. Are you too on it too? If not, then maybe the test I recommended in my
post to you on the HP Forum might not be totally valid. If you decide to do the test I recommend, let me know what you find. It would be interesting no matter.

Man, there are so many variables, but we are winning, right?

sven

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:56:06 pm »

I bought the PS version so I could get the Advanced Profiling System because I wanted to print on papers that don't have profiles. aka fine art papers like Rives De Lin. I can now make a nice profile but can't get the printer to take a sheet because of the "skew" it detects when it sees a deckle edge. It is now Sept 19th and HP support denies any driver in the works to fix the problem or allow an override.

Sven

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

I bought the PS version so I could get the Advanced Profiling System because I wanted to print on papers that don't have profiles. aka fine art papers like Rives De Lin. I can now make a nice profile but can't get the printer to take a sheet because of the "skew" it detects when it sees a deckle edge. It is now Sept 19th and HP support denies any driver in the works to fix the problem or allow an override.

Sven
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
HP aren't denying anything about rough edge media firmware improvement. It's in the V6 firmware and works. There are temp work arounds you know , but of course much nicer to have the possibility of turning off the sensor. Just be careful that the paper is straight!

HP told me the firmware is ready and it was being loaded on the servers already.
Unless there is a major problem , it should be linked very soon. I was told this week, or beginning of next.

rdonson

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 12:28:44 pm »

HP aren't denying anything about rough edge media firmware improvement. It's in the V6 firmware and works. There are temp work arounds you know , but of course much nicer to have the possibility of turning off the sensor. Just be careful that the paper is straight!

HP told me the firmware is ready and it was being loaded on the servers already.
Unless there is a major problem , it should be linked very soon. I was told this week, or beginning of next.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140988\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great news, Neil.  Any insight on why APS is no longer available for purchase?
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 08:50:29 am »

Hmmm,
Last time I updated the firmware
1) The printing application started defaulting to totally stupid settings every time I try to print such as defaulting to sRGB as the color "profile".  There were some other annoying and senseless changes made to the application as a result of the firmware update.
2) I had to calibrate and profile all the media I use all over again and HP does not share my desire to keep the use of paper low when profiling and calibrating.

I see nothing I need or want in the new firmware but I predict it will cause things other than those mentioned by HP to be needlessly changed. The nonsensical changes made by the first update tell me what to do with this update.  Skip it.

Charlie

rdonson

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:30 am »

I got a lot of value in the version 5.0.0.4 update.  True, the installation was a hassle but I hope that HP improves things in this release (if/when it comes - it was first "announced  the first of August and its now the first of October).  

AFAIK changing how the colors are mixed in the firmware requires the re-profiling.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 01:15:20 pm »

That's great news, Neil.  Any insight on why APS is no longer available for purchase?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140992\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Somewhere I saw HP had the wrong key codes with the shipped PS packages. Could it have been this that caused a rumored recall?

neil snape

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 01:46:56 pm »

Where is the promised firmware update? I just looked again and it's not there. Thinking it was maybe just the string not updated I downloaded the file which remains at 5.0.4, Com'on HP let's get going.

Panascape

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 03:37:25 pm »

Where is the promised firmware update? I just looked again and it's not there. Thinking it was maybe just the string not updated I downloaded the file which remains at 5.0.4, Com'on HP let's get going.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All I know is it has been delayed again. Personally I feel we have waited so long for this that I would rather HP tests it properly and gets it out bug free rather than we keep having to download new versions.

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 08:32:50 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There is a photo show now in Paris. I asked to the HP guy next to the Z3100: "End of October, beginning of November".  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:33:37 am by thierryd »

Ernst Dinkla

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 10:52:51 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Still time left to change the B&W photo preset that it sets printer controlled CM instead of application controlled CM like it does now.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 11:00:03 am »

thierryd-

Was there any sign from HP's presence at the show that suggested where they are going with APS and the GP Postscript printers?  I haven't heard anything that seems like a definitive word as to whether or not they are dropping the GP line and rolling APS into all of the Z series, but would think that they might be promoting that change at a show if it is eminent.

On the subject of the firmware upgrade, I wonder how much later the PS firmware will be following the release of the standard version firmware?  I believe the original announcement had it behind in release date by at least a couple of weeks.

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

neil snape

New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:38 am »

Not sure that HP France would be able to say anything even if they did know. Development is done in Barcelona, and software can be done in other sites. APS is a joint project with X-Rite hence any software changes will have to be done in parallel. I always thought it would have been a good idea to have APS on every unit , but it's true that photographers need it more than singage shops etc.
I have no idea why the firmware is delayed as I was told it was uploaded on the servers already. If there is a recall it must be the firmware update then. The latest APS had a lot of bug fixes and from what little testing I did , works perfectly well now on the photo version of Z3100.

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
New Z3100 Firmware v6
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 12:11:53 pm »

thierryd-

Was there any sign from HP's presence at the show that suggested where they are going with APS and the GP Postscript printers?  I haven't heard anything that seems like a definitive word as to whether or not they are dropping the GP line and rolling APS into all of the Z series, but would think that they might be promoting that change at a show if it is eminent.

On the subject of the firmware upgrade, I wonder how much later the PS firmware will be following the release of the standard version firmware?  I believe the original announcement had it behind in release date by at least a couple of weeks.

-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry Colorwave, I didn't notice any sign, but I must confess I was not looking after. Not sure I go back to the show, but I suppose Neil's information about HP is better than the one I could have in a show. If I go back, I will ask.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up