Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporting Camera Gear (when flying)  (Read 3904 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Transporting Camera Gear (when flying)
« on: August 06, 2007, 05:35:07 pm »

I am going to flying cross-country for a month-long shoot. I have always carried on my camera gear and laptop bag as well as my tripod/head. My camera bag and laptop case fit within the carry on size limitations. I typically pack my tripod and head in my checked baggage. But, I've heard that they can be stolen while going through the "system."

Does anyone ship gear ahead? I wouldn't want to ship my camera and lenses, but would consider shipping my tripod and miscellaneous stuff.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Hank

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:45:23 pm »

We have traditionally Fedexed our lighting systems and other bulky items, but it gets expensive fast.  When someone else is paying the bill that's one thing, but another altogether when it's coming out of your pocket.  Recently we have been renting lighting equipment when shooting in larger metro areas, with prices comparable or better than shipping and no wear and tear on our own gear.

I Fedexd a 4x5 setup this spring (2 field bodies, six lenses and accessories in a large Tamrac bag).  Including insurance, the bill was $115 and change, if that gives you any indication of the costs you might be encumbering.

We use a similar strategy to yours when our gear accompanies us on airlines.  I'm more concerned about lenses and bodies disappearing within the security system, so I have no qualms about tripods in checked baggage.  Overall I think it's the best solution, cost- and convenience-wise.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:17:46 pm »

I've been putting the laptop and other incidentals (book and fly reels) in the camera bag (TT Airport Security roller) and strapping the tripod/head in the TT Bazooka bag (with fly rods strapped alongside) on the side till I get to security.  Then I pull the Bazooka/rodtubes off and sling it over my shoulder.  The AS is then my "carry on" and the Bazooka/rodtubes are my "personal item."  This has worked fine on several cross-country flights so far.

The AS won't go in the overhead with the laptop in the sleeve, but I just yank the laptop out and store it separately.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:32:28 pm »

If you do carry on your tripod remove the head so that the collapsed length is less than the 26" (diagonal) carry on limit. Since all checked bags are now 100% xrayed (in the US) there has been a large increase in thefts. I would not check anything of value!!!!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:09:48 pm »

If you do carry on your tripod remove the head so that the collapsed length is less than the 26" (diagonal) carry on limit....
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm glad I didn't know about that requirement!  ;-)

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:05:56 am »

If you do carry on your tripod remove the head so that the collapsed length is less than the 26" (diagonal) carry on limit. Since all checked bags are now 100% xrayed (in the US) there has been a large increase in thefts. I would not check anything of value!!!!
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131885\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do airlines reimburse you if items of value get stolen out of luggage?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

marcmccalmont

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:11:40 am »

Do airlines reimburse you if items of value get stolen out of luggage?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There is usually a $1200 limit and a lot of small print you are better off shipping (insured) or carrying on anything of value.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

LA30

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 06:29:40 pm »

I travel a bit.  I would NEVER check camera equipment, digital body, lenses etc or a laptop.  Lighting I would and do check in lightware bags.  AA once "lost" an apple cinema display...  Ask for a media rate.  It is usually $50 per extra bag in the US.  Make sure that you have some sort of a professional card, business or ASMP id card to get the rate.

Ken

KenRexach

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:05:40 pm »

I am going to flying cross-country for a month-long shoot. I have always carried on my camera gear and laptop bag as well as my tripod/head. My camera bag and laptop case fit within the carry on size limitations. I typically pack my tripod and head in my checked baggage. But, I've heard that they can be stolen while going through the "system."

Does anyone ship gear ahead? I wouldn't want to ship my camera and lenses, but would consider shipping my tripod and miscellaneous stuff.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I recenty travelled to Mexico of all places with my camera gear plus tripod, lightstands, lights etc and didnt have any issues. ALL Camera gear and laptop chargers etc carry on. Stands, tripod and lights checked in. I would never ever check in any camera and or lenses on any airline , no matter what.
Pages: [1]   Go Up