Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden show - need ideas for quick mounting  (Read 2240 times)

spherop

Sudden show - need ideas for quick mounting
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:30:01 am »

Hey All - urgent help needed.
I have gotten a last second opportunity to show my work at an art fair this wednesday.

I have many prints (Inkjet-Epson K3) ready - but am needing a quick solution that is reasonable and appropriate to the work and not too $$. I feel that traditional framing would likely take too long, and also be too expensive. Plus since the venue is outdoors I will be carrying work in and setting up at a table. Many framed pieces will be cumbersome.

My print sizes range from 8x10 to 21x14 and a few larger.

I have thought for lack of better idea, to print spot mounted on gatorboard and have them laminated with a luster finish. Leaving a margin to allow framing. Some of the prints are Moab Entrada - some Museo Silver Rag - printed on epson 3800.

I am wondering if anyone has any better ideas, or any warnings about the appproach I am considering.

I am in San Francisco and was going to use BPS which has a 24 hour turnaround.

An alternative or for some prints...would be to simply put them in white mattes, wrap them and stack them for browsing.

I don't know - just fishing for ideas still. My work is industrial-urban - and I prefer a somewhat industrial solution (www.danielnewman.info)

thx much for any thoughts ...
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info

Anthony R

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 01:16:55 pm »

urban? How about metal sheeting mounting? thin and industrial looking. I once did a show on scratched metal sheets of black and white, toned infrared shots. Not sure what I mounted the photos with, but they were easily enough removed, but stayed put on the sheets distressed copper. Something along these lines?  http://www.dickblick.com/zz306/02/

Hey All - urgent help needed.
I have gotten a last second opportunity to show my work at an art fair this wednesday.

I have many prints (Inkjet-Epson K3) ready - but am needing a quick solution that is reasonable and appropriate to the work and not too $$. I feel that traditional framing would likely take too long, and also be too expensive. Plus since the venue is outdoors I will be carrying work in and setting up at a table. Many framed pieces will be cumbersome.

My print sizes range from 8x10 to 21x14 and a few larger.

I have thought for lack of better idea, to print spot mounted on gatorboard and have them laminated with a luster finish. Leaving a margin to allow framing. Some of the prints are Moab Entrada - some Museo Silver Rag - printed on epson 3800.

I am wondering if anyone has any better ideas, or any warnings about the appproach I am considering.

I am in San Francisco and was going to use BPS which has a 24 hour turnaround.

An alternative or for some prints...would be to simply put them in white mattes, wrap them and stack them for browsing.

I don't know - just fishing for ideas still. My work is industrial-urban - and I prefer a somewhat industrial solution (www.danielnewman.info)

thx much for any thoughts ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:36:37 pm »

If your display area and environmental conditions permit it, you could mount the bare prints onto a metallic background (galvanized steel roofing sections such as you can get at Home Depot) with magnets. Or you could put steel cable (Home Depot) or chains around the display area and hang the bare prints from it with plain ol' bulldog clips. Given the dismal economics of selling prints (at least in the gallery setting) and the high cost of conventional matting and framing, you're wise to seek alternatives.

One cool idea (no time for now but could be a future option) is to see if you have anyone in your area doing dye-sub printing onto materials like MDF, fiberboard, or metal sheets. This would be an awesome look for your kind of work. It requires no framing or matting, and for a given image size would be considerably than printing, matting, and framing.

For a recent show I had a selection of prints matted and wrapped in polyethylene sleeves, put in bins for browsing. You could find some kind of metallic industrial-looking bins for those--galvanized tub, etc.

Just throwing out ideas.  COngrats on the show and good luck.
michael sebast

spherop

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:35:37 am »

thanks for the very interesting suggestions. i will consider these more as time permits. i am indeed looking exploring printing directly or transfering to various industrial substrates. inkaid - is one possibility in that regard ...will look more into dye sub printing ...

for the record - i because of the short time frame i am going with this company (local) to do their laminating deal. http://www.lamiframe.com/index.php - not exactly as cool/exotic as some of the recommendations here - but given my dealine timewise ...a good option.

It's not archival in the sense that you can't remove the art - but should last a long time. it's incredibly reasonable price-wise - sturdy for the outdoor setting, and i like the effect for some of the work i am doing quite a lot.

i'll be getting the prints back later today - and can report back if anyone is curious.

thanks again for the cool concepts.
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info
Pages: [1]   Go Up