Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Moab Papers, any experience?  (Read 3199 times)

fnagy

• www.franknagyphotography.com
New Moab Papers, any experience?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:38:15 am »

Has anybody had any experience printing with the new Moab Lines, especially the Colorado Fiber series or the Lasal Photo series?  They are not available in my area (Toronto) as far as I can tell.

Michael, any hints? I know you have been a Moab fan for a while so any insight?
Love & Peace
Frank

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »

I don't know if they ship to Canada but Adorama is selling both papers.
Regards,
Ron

fnagy

• www.franknagyphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:13:29 pm »

I don't know if they ship to Canada but Adorama is selling both papers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131828\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron,

Thanks, but I am in no hurry, I usually wait and get some reactions and then try it out to see if it suit my needs.  Their discontinued lines were staples but have almost run out of them, so I was just wondering what to go with.

Besides they still have not posted icc profiles for my printer so it would be hit and mis for a while.
Love & Peace
Frank

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:18:03 am »

Ron,

Thanks, but I am in no hurry, I usually wait and get some reactions and then try it out to see if it suit my needs.  Their discontinued lines were staples but have almost run out of them, so I was just wondering what to go with.

Besides they still have not posted icc profiles for my printer so it would be hit and mis for a while.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which printer are you using?
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

abrehm

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:49:51 pm »

I too am interested in Moab papers.  At present I will be working with HP papers since I got some free with the Z rebate, but I have been wanting to try out Moab papers for a while.  I figure I will get some after I start to use up my HP paper.  I am particulary interested in the Entrada rag and Lasal Photo paper.  

How is the Entrada for landscape work?  I genearlly prefer a satin finish and know very little about rag papers..

Thanks,

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:28:24 pm »

I have a box of 8 1/2X11 Colorado fibre, and am generally very impressed with the quality on my 3800.   Definately a wider gamut, roughly similar to Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl (different, but similar)  I have printed the same image on Colorado, Fine Art Pearl, and Epson Prem Lustre... There are differences, but at a distance, or under glass you have to look closely to see them.  Colorado has a somewhat intangible quality to it that I have not yet seen in a digital paper. Images printed on it have a depth (an almost 3-dimensional quality) that is a bit reminiscent of Cibachrome (I don't know how else to describe it.)

I ordered this box directly from Moab;  my local Canadian retailer (Beau Photo in Vancouver) says that Moab has recalled virtually all of the initial batch, which explains the lack of availablility, I suppose.  The paper I have suffers from really extreme curl problems:  no amount of reverse rolling or coaxing will flatten it.  It caused rather heart wrenching head strikes with the 3800 until I hit on the idea of feeding the paper in the landscape orientation (the curl is only in one direction around the portrait axis).  I simply created a custom paper size, (11 X 8.5 rather 8.5 X 11) and the head strike problem is gone.   Clearly ths is only a workaround until Moab fixes the curl problem.  Also, rolls won't be available for another 4 to 6 weeks, or so I am told.

Once these initial problems are fixed I imagine I'll be using a fair bit of this paper.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:38:12 pm by englishm »
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh
Pages: [1]   Go Up