Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog  (Read 2681 times)

gregoalon

• http://www.grego.co.il
Catalog
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:49:44 pm »

Hi to all
I wonder if i can switch between 2 catalog on on my desktop (hard disk at office) and the one on my leap-top I sow demonstration of that in a tutorial site but i don't understand how they make it

Alon
Alon Grego
Cinematographer gregoa

The View

Catalog
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 11:55:43 pm »

Holding down the option key during start-up gives you the menu, from which you can pick which catalog you want to use.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

seanmcfoto

Catalog
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 12:13:45 am »

You can also double click on the Catalog to start it.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

gregoalon

Catalog
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 01:22:16 am »

O.k. thanks allot. But light room can open one catalog you can switch between them after you open 2 of them
Alon Grego
Cinematographer gregoa

francois

Catalog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 02:58:26 am »

O.k. thanks allot. But light room can open one catalog you can switch between them after you open 2 of them
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
LR can only have one open catalog at the same time. If you choose another one, LR will quit and relaunch with the one you chose.
Does this help?
Francois

gregoalon

Catalog
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 07:13:56 am »

Thank you very much Dear Francois
it's help me allot
maybe you can answer for that one i wonder 2 for that issue.

Multi-part question:
1) LR saves a new database backup each time the user requests one. Is it reasonable to delete all previous backups?
2) LR will not save identical database backups to multiple drives; correct?
3) LR installs itself in the MyPictures folder (PC), however, if one directs the database backup to a different drive, no backup exists in the MyPictures LR folder; correct?
4) Is there a difference between database backup in LR 1.0 and 1.1? My older backups have the LRDB file, the later ones an LRCAT file?
5) The LR folder in MyPictures has a "Photos" subfolder. The subfolders in that folder do not correspond to my LR folders. What is supposed to be in the Photos subfolder?
6) Other than "Backups" and "Photos" the LR folder in MyPictures has two other subfolders: "Lightroom Catalog Previews" and "Lightroom Metadata". These two folders do not appear do be copied to the Backup folder. So, if my C drive crashes, is the backup folder that I've directed LR to create on an external drive sufficient to restore everything once I reinstall LR on a "fixed" C drive?
7) What is the best advice for saving everything required to fully restart LR? I have LR pointed to one external hard drive, a full copy of which is on a second. In addition I have dual DVD copies of all raw files.

Before asking this series of questions I reviewed: Adobe Help, Evening, Kelby, Reichmann & Shewe including all three 1.1 updates. I do not believe the answers to these questions are in any of these.
Alon Grego
Cinematographer gregoa

francois

Catalog
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:17:53 am »

maybe you can answer for that one i wonder 2 for that issue.

Multi-part question:
1) LR saves a new database backup each time the user requests one. Is it reasonable to delete all previous backups?
I keep a few backups, just in case something goes wrong. The last back might also be corrupted... so keeping a few ones makes sense - at least for me.

2) LR will not save identical database backups to multiple drives; correct?
This is correct. It's your job to make copies to different drives.

3) LR installs itself in the MyPictures folder (PC), however, if one directs the database backup to a different drive, no backup exists in the MyPictures LR folder; correct?
Correct - But I'm using a Mac and I guess that on a PC Lightroom adopts a similar behavior. As far as I remember, you can specify the path of your backup folder when the backup folder pops up.

4) Is there a difference between database backup in LR 1.0 and 1.1? My older backups have the LRDB file, the later ones an LRCAT file?
Yes, the LRDB is the old format associated with Lightroom version 1.0. LRCAT is the new format. Lightroom version 1.0 won't be able to open the new file format. Lightroom version v 1.1 will be able to convert the old format and then read the converted file.

5) The LR folder in MyPictures has a "Photos" subfolder. The subfolders in that folder do not correspond to my LR folders. What is supposed to be in the Photos subfolder?
I don't know. It all depends on the options checked (like arrange in sub-folders) during import.

6) Other than "Backups" and "Photos" the LR folder in MyPictures has two other subfolders: "Lightroom Catalog Previews" and "Lightroom Metadata". These two folders do not appear do be copied to the Backup folder. So, if my C drive crashes, is the backup folder that I've directed LR to create on an external drive sufficient to restore everything once I reinstall LR on a "fixed" C drive?
Previews are generated automatically if they are missing. The "Lightroom Metadata.lrdata" is empty on my Mac.

7) What is the best advice for saving everything required to fully restart LR? I have LR pointed to one external hard drive, a full copy of which is on a second. In addition I have dual DVD copies of all raw files.
Personally, I keep multiple copies of my RAW files and Lightrooms files on hard drives. Those hard drives are stored on and off-site. Safety is in redundance.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:23:13 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up