Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which MF back to purchase  (Read 10030 times)

etrump

Which MF back to purchase
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 01:59:10 pm »

Once you make a long exposure on a Phase back...........how long does it take before the back is ready to make the next exposure?
Has Phase improved the time that it takes to perform a black reference file...........used to be a one to one relationship. If you make a one minute exposure the back will take another minute before it is available to shoot again.
If you make an 8 minute exposure does the back take an additional 8 minutes before it is available to take the next shot?

regards
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm pretty sure it has to be the same length as the exposure to make sure it has the right amount of noise.
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

johnE

• http://www.johneskey.com
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 07:14:34 pm »

Sounds like you do not want to do a lot of those in a row without a bed near by. Glad to know that up front.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 08:15:51 pm »

Once you make a long exposure on a Phase back...........how long does it take before the back is ready to make the next exposure?
Has Phase improved the time that it takes to perform a black reference file...........used to be a one to one relationship. If you make a one minute exposure the back will take another minute before it is available to shoot again.
If you make an 8 minute exposure does the back take an additional 8 minutes before it is available to take the next shot?

regards
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Prakash is correct.  The Phase One backs needs the exact amount of time to make a black calibration as the exposure was.  This is a little bit of bother, but it helps reduce the noise
in long exposures.  On that note, the new P+ series backs can make exposures up to one
hour.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:08 am »

I agree with Awofinden, the smaller backs get too little exposure. For most work they are enough.

I use an Aptus17 and a CF39. The Aptus17 is an excellent back and in some areas easier to work with than the Imacon.

With the low (relatively speaking) price tags of refurbished models of the P21 and A17 I can imagine it very attractive for people to enter the MFDB area. They are cheaper than the 1DSMk1111111etc.. and will deliver better quality (if properly used).

17MP or 18MP of images in this quality are good enough to use for virtually every application. Besides that due to the smaller file size you can work faster with them as well.

billy

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 10:45:47 am »

I agree with Awofinden, the smaller backs get too little exposure. For most work they are enough.

I use an Aptus17 and a CF39. The Aptus17 is an excellent back and in some areas easier to work with than the Imacon.

With the low (relatively speaking) price tags of refurbished models of the P21 and A17 I can imagine it very attractive for people to enter the MFDB area. They are cheaper than the 1DSMk1111111etc.. and will deliver better quality (if properly used).

17MP or 18MP of images in this quality are good enough to use for virtually every application. Besides that due to the smaller file size you can work faster with them as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sign me up for a aptus 17 or P21 refurb, any dealers out there want to sell me one at an attractive price? pm me please!

johnE

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 05:57:20 pm »

Hi Snook,

last week I tried a P45+ on a Hasselblad V and a bit ago a H2D. The P45+ files where wonderful. I'm tempted very much into MF too.

But when I look what I get for the money, I'm a bit scared. In my experience you have to work a bit more/harder on the 1DsMkII files. But what you can achieve is great. And to have a 2nd 1DsMk II as a backup body gives me a good feeling. A 2nd MF back ...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would love to be able to produce 20x24 size prints from a 1d or 1ds and I would not mind paying for the best glass. There are many benefits to that platform. I personally have not seen any thing that look like a really good file from a Phase Back - I must admit my experience is limited.

I got my hands on some test files from a P25+ and P45 and I was shocked at the detail. The conclusion I have come to is the MF glass is just way better, the files from a MF backs are a little better to much better depending on who you listen to. All of which must add up to a better print at any size. Dropping 15K-25k is a hard pill to swallow, especially in an emerging technology. A P45 will probably be good for nothing more than a bookend in 6 years. That being said, I will probably buy one in the next week or two once I find the right deal.

johnE

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 08:28:40 pm »

Hi johnE,

it depends how close you stand to a print and what is on the picture. For example: for an ad shown at bus stops (180 cm / 70" high) I photographed different champagne bottles. The resolution with the 1DsMkII/TS-E 90 was so high, that you could count the failures in the glass (I had a hard time to retouch that) and the print dots in the label. If I take a portrait (and much more than a tight head shot) of a model I can even with the 24-70@8 count the eyelashes and see every detail of the skin (again it's retouch time). I even produced a good looking banner (~70 cm / 28" high) from a hand held architectural shot (perspective correction in PS) @ 400 ASA where you are able to see all the structural details of the building and no noise.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Johannes,

I photograph landscapes, bridges... (fine art) so client pressure / impression is not an issue nor is speed. I am not sure workflow is that important either because I work on very few images. Much of the time my work looks like it was shot with a Holga (diffused, low contrast) so I question my obsession for detail. For me it is about composition and the feeling the image gives but detail, even when the final print is heavily diffused still impacts the final product. My LF negatives always gave me a better print in the end.

billy

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 10:31:34 am »

Sign me up for a aptus 17 or P21 refurb, any dealers out there want to sell me one at an attractive price? pm me please!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

still hoping for one of these backs, does anyone know if this exists in the real world? I had 2 dealers contact me with other backs
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up