Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Calibration tool??  (Read 9513 times)

cadman

Which Calibration tool??
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:56 am »

I am thinking about either the Sypder 2 Express or the Huey Pro. I have read reviews from various sites and they go either way for both products. It seems though that the Spyder 2 is a bit combersome in using and doesn't take into account various light levels although you can achieve good results. The Huey seems to be new to the market, is it up to par? Could I please get some opinions on this and maybe some feedback from you folks who maybe know more about this type of thing or even own the products? Looking to purchase in the next day or two. Thanks much for any input you can provide!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:00:10 am »

I am thinking about either the Sypder 2 Express or the Huey Pro. I have read reviews from various sites and they go either way for both products. It seems though that the Spyder 2 is a bit combersome in using and doesn't take into account various light levels although you can achieve good results. The Huey seems to be new to the market, is it up to par? Could I please get some opinions on this and maybe some feedback from you folks who maybe know more about this type of thing or even own the products? Looking to purchase in the next day or two. Thanks much for any input you can provide!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Using a Spyder Pro 2 here - very happy with the results.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:29:06 am »

Chromix has a few OPTIX units at a killer price. This is arguably the best colorimeter technology around although discontinued. Still supported. You might find more info at www.chromix.com. Otherwise, the EyeOne Display-2 is your best bet.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

sbuttrick

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:39:32 am »

I use an Optix with Color Eys Pro on my Apple Cinema display and my Imac and it is close to perfect as I believe you can get.
Best Regards
 Scott  www.luminous-vista.c

The View

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:35:11 am »

Stay away from the Huey.

The calibration question is coming up regularly, and regularly the Eye One Display 2 is being recommended.

I bought it, and it is a great tool.

The Optix and the Color Eyes software are being described as the color enthusiast's solution, there is an article about it on luminous landscape.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 01:37:35 am »

Chromix has a few OPTIX units at a killer price. This is arguably the best colorimeter technology around although discontinued. Still supported. You might find more info at www.chromix.com. Otherwise, the EyeOne Display-2 is your best bet.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why did they discontinue it? I have always heard the very best about it.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 08:13:13 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After the Xrite/Gretag merger the Gretag products won, the Xrite products got pruned. Pulse and DTP70 also got killed off. They're also very good. Their replacements are quite functional, and anyway if the shoe was on the other foot and the Eyeone Pro had got chopped a lot more people would be moaning

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:14:57 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 12:12:26 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The DTP94 is clearly the best made and most reliable product but the EyeOneDisplay is the better seller with a better profit margin. Buy an EyeOneDisplay and they win. Buy a DTP94 and you win. ColorEyesDispalyPro comes bundled with the DTP94 and the combination is fantastic.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

zaharia

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 06:04:00 am »

Two versions of this colorimeter? Is there an Optix XR Pro colorimeter and just an Optix XR colorimeter? Or is it the same colorimeter and different software that the Pro designation refers to? Also, can you just buy the colorimeter without the software?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:19:23 am by zaharia »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 01:13:49 pm »

Stay away from the Huey.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why?

Jeremy

Snapper

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

Why?

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133232\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can anyone who has had experience with the Huey or Huey Pro tell us what's wrong with it?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:52:10 am »

Can anyone who has had experience with the Huey or Huey Pro tell us what's wrong with it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For the money its a decent device.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

benasaj

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:35:14 am »

I've used both the Huey, and now, the Pro.  It's not as sophisticated as other products, but if you're just getting into color management, it's an inexpensive start and does a good job.  It has made a HUGE difference in my results.

Al Benas

zaharia

Which Calibration tool??
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 06:31:23 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am using BasicColor Display with an original Squid. Will the Optix colorimeter give me much of an improvement over the Squid for LCD? Also, can I just purchase the Optix colorimeter without the software somewhere?
Pages: [1]   Go Up