Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica M Lenses re Michael's comments  (Read 3427 times)

jackmacd

New Leica M Lenses re Michael's comments
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:36:26 am »

Michael says he doesn't get why Leica added a 35,50,75,90 to the M line given the digital factor for an M8. Remember Michael, these lenses follow on the introduction of a 28, and a combo 16-18-21 in the last 8 months. So to your point, they have already covered the wide side of the M series quite well. I'd say they both want to sell up  the buyers of the M8 who just bought the camera with a 28 and additionally they are l are finally starting to compete with their less expensive lens competition.
Hey I'm delighted they are rapidly developing new lenses regardless. And you know what? I'm going to buy the 75 2.5 for a portrait lens. I sold a 75 1.4 two years ago just before they announced that a digital M could even be made. But a 1.4 was a big heavy lens and I doubt I would use it much with the M8 anyway. My 90 no longer works well as a portrait lens with the 1.3 factor, so for me they will have motivated me to buy a new 75 I might not have purchased in the larger f2.0 size.

Full disclosure, I bought the 28 with a 16-18-21 on order via the 30% discount in the last 4 months. That's on top of already having a 21 2.8, a 35 1.4  a 50 (that I will sell) and the 90 2.8 I already mentioned. Oh, and I sold the two M6's that I never used in the last two years.  So Leica has gotten me to purchase over $8,000 in equipment in one year, after not buying any M gear since 1992.
Canon with their so-so lenses, has not gotten me to buy any new lenses since I bought my 1Ds years ago. So I'd say Leica is figuring out my market better than Canon.
Just the thoughts of one shooter, but you asked.
Jack

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 11:41:53 am »

I never cease to be surprised by the different lenses that people choose for what they call portraiture.

On 35mm FF (in normal situations) I have always used 135mm because 105mm seemed too short; on 120 I used 150mm because when I bought into Hass they didn´t have such a thing as a 180mm.

I hate it when portraits introduce distortion. I write this having spent a great deal time during the late 60s and early 70s doing exactly the opposite: using a 35mm on Nikon because of that very distortion, something which I accepted was no more than a commercial attempt to stay on the summit of the wave if not exactly ahead of the damn thing. When doing sweaters etc. it gave a certain elongation to the top of the model´s head telling the viewer that one was ´aware´of the fashion mores of the time! Funny old world...

Nowadays, with digital Nikons, I do portraits of walls and doorways instead and who knows what the bricks feel about that? Who even cares?

Ciao - Rob C

narikin

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:49:38 am »

Michael is right in pointing out the oddity of these new lens' focal lengths, but... one thing overlooked is that whilst these new lenses are too long for the M8 and its small sensor. who is to say that the next model (M9?) will not have a bigger sensor, and move closer to full frame, in which case, all these lenses become more appropriate, and the design decision a wise far-sighted one.

The digital world moves fast, and Leica cannot release a camera every 6-8 years like they used to. They will have to upgrade the camera/sensor every 2-3 years to stay in the game, whilst generating useful revenue from 'churn' of equipment.

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:22 pm »

I wonder: doesn't the problem of the rear element being close to the sensor reduce the likelihood of going larger or full-frame?

Kirk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:33:49 pm by thompsonkirk »

rejcd

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:46:51 am »

Michael is right in pointing out the oddity of these new lens' focal lengths, but... one thing overlooked is that whilst these new lenses are too long for the M8 and its small sensor. who is to say that the next model (M9?) will not have a bigger sensor, and move closer to full frame, in which case, all these lenses become more appropriate, and the design decision a wise far-sighted one.

The digital world moves fast, and Leica cannot release a camera every 6-8 years like they used to. They will have to upgrade the camera/sensor every 2-3 years to stay in the game, whilst generating useful revenue from 'churn' of equipment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I fully agree, I'm ready to bet that the new M9 will be a full frame marvel !!! I just pray they will not introduce it with a non removable AA filter, better get ready for 3 new DRF, Leica, Voigtlander and Zeiss. This is all becoming very interesting, I cannot wait for the launches, sadly i can only afford one system. The bulk and complexity of DSLR has garanteed the resurrection of RF systems, the wheel will have gone full circle

michael

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:35:00 am »

I hear-by offer to eat a 52mm lens cap (Leica brand of course) if Leica produces a full-frame M series camera within the next 5 years. Ain't gunna happen.

Read some of the technical literature about rear element to sensor plane distance, and issues with oblique angle light rays. Making the current 1.3X M8 work involved some extreme effort on the part of both Kodak and Leica, and look at the problems that still remain.

I'm confident that my lens cap is safe from digestion and that Leica's current lens line decisions are based on factors other than some highly speculative full-frame M9.

Michael

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:52:37 am »

Isn't the 16-18-21 discontinued?
Eric Chan

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:47:53 pm »

Isn't the 16-18-21 discontinued?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. The regular 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar is.

I think the idea for Leica was simply to introduce some lower pricepoint optics.  Their fast glass is priced in the stratosphere and even their medium speed glass is priced higheer than Canon L and near to Hassy MF lenses. Voigtlander and Zeiss now affer very good M mount options at lower price points, so IMO Leica was feeling that pressure...  

With the M, it is unfortunately imperitive they keep the focal lengths consistent for backwards compatibility with older M lenses -- no convenient way to add in new frameline sets for 1.33x tweener focal lenses.  And as Micheal pointed out in his initial M8 review, the 1.33 crop factor essentially moves each lens about one up in focal anyway -- or at least close enough for most M shooters.

As for "cheaper" Leica lens options, I have personally found new life in older glass with the M8 anyway.  I like the way a lot of the pre-Asph Leica lenses "draw" their images and have simply adjusted my vision to the newer framing. Here is a recent shot from an old 28 Elmarit:  [a href=\"http://jack.cameraphile.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album24&id=infinity]http://jack.cameraphile.org/gallery/view_p...m24&id=infinity[/url] . Here is one from a Pre-Asph 50 Summilux: http://jack.cameraphile.org/gallery/view_p...=concrete_cube2

PS: And Michael, you are definitely safe from ever having to eat a 52mm Leica lenscap

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:49:26 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up