Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP 9180 Assistance  (Read 2611 times)

BishopB

HP 9180 Assistance
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:40:17 am »

Am hoping to glean some advice given your long standing experience with this printer.  I have received a bit of assistance from Eric Chan who assised me with a custom profile to try and get Ilford Smooth Pearl to work and while all the colors are right and the best match yet to th etarget prints...the paper and the vivera inks don't seem like a match as there appears to be a fine grain throughout the image.  so am focused on rying to get the HP papers to work for me.

I have one of Bill Atkinson's reference /target prints which has a nice neutral grey border around the entire image (printed off a Epson 7600). When comparing this to the results off my B9180 using HP Advanced Glossy paper, the match is nearly identical in the grey but the greens and yellows seem a bit off (a bit of blue within the green forest portion of the print...yellows a but of red cast). In comparing the same target print to the results using the HP Advanced Satin Matte paper, the grey has a slight red cast (very slight but perceptable to the eye) and the yellows and greens again are off slightly as well.  I am allowing PhotoShop to manage the colors.  Am I misusing the target print and should not be looking for an identical  or nearly identical match throughout the entire image?

Am curious, I am using the provided HP profile for the paper, allowed CS3 to manage the colors and chose perceptual for the rendering intent (black point compensation)...am I missing something for this paper?? Am I just noticing areas that are out of gamut for this printer...monitor is calbrated, HP paper profile and self-calibrated printer??  Am assuming that the canned profiles may be the problem and that I may need to go the route of custom profiles.  

Anyway, am hoping ofr better results and thought to check here after hearing Michael's comment on the new printing video that he uses the 9180 for his home printing.  Appreciate any guidance or advice that you might have...best regards -- Bishop

DarkPenguin

HP 9180 Assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:53:28 am »

You might try the Yahoo! group for the B9180...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/

There is also a wiki but I'm not sure it is updated.

BishopB

HP 9180 Assistance
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:56:50 am »

You might try the Yahoo! group for the B9180...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/

There is also a wiki but I'm not sure it is updated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131305\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the suggestion but have done so and not received much response.  What is "wiki?"

DarkPenguin

BishopB

HP 9180 Assistance
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:37:05 am »

http://www.shadowbrush.org/wiki/index.php?title=B9180Papers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131308\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks DP...will test a few things per the Wiki.  Best regards -- Bishop

BishopB

HP 9180 Assistance
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:50:07 pm »

Any other thoughts??  Just checking...Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:51:38 pm by BishopB »
Pages: [1]   Go Up