Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 and Qimage  (Read 5956 times)

abrehm

Z3100 and Qimage
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:31:34 pm »

I just got my new Z3100 set up and have gone to make my first prints, but while i have set the paper size to 24x35" roll and image size to 23x34.5" it only prints out about 8" wide.  Has anyone else had problems printing large prints with the Z3100 and Qimage?  If I can only print 8" wide I could have bought a much cheaper printer!!

Thanks,
andy

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:01 am »

I just got my new Z3100 set up and have gone to make my first prints, but while i have set the paper size to 24x35" roll and image size to 23x34.5" it only prints out about 8" wide.  Has anyone else had problems printing large prints with the Z3100 and Qimage?  If I can only print 8" wide I could have bought a much cheaper printer!!

Thanks,
andy
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not that there are no issues with the Qimage/Z3100 interactions on paper sizes but I can assure you that you can print the full 24- 44" width with that combination.

Select the custom size in the Z3100 and save the size settings you make. It should stay that way when you finish the rest of the Z3100 driver menu settings and close the menu. I always use the temporary-custom choice (or whatever it is called in English) and make a new size with that one losing the older custom choice as a result. There are issues with too many custom sizes in the Z3100 driver so I avoid that. Call it a bug in the driver.

On the other hand Qimage can not set the print page size in the Z3100 driver for a recalled old job if the custom size is not saved in the driver so be careful with that too. It is sailing between Scylla and Charybdis that way. The strange thing is that Qimage saves the size in the log but can't force the Z3100 to accept that size but if that size is available in the saved custom sizes it will work. I find that as dangerous and would prefer that the interaction is working on the size data only so you really get what the log file says in mm or inches. Now if I recall a job I look for the print page size in the log text and type that size again in the driver.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Harris

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:47:34 am »

I just got my new Z3100 set up and have gone to make my first prints, but while i have set the paper size to 24x35" roll and image size to 23x34.5" it only prints out about 8" wide.  Has anyone else had problems printing large prints with the Z3100 and Qimage?  If I can only print 8" wide I could have bought a much cheaper printer!!

Thanks,
andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Harris

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 05:47:59 am »

Thanks,
andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Harris

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:02:41 am »

I have had a Z3100 24' printer for about 6 months and @QImage for two of them.  Found Qimage a life saver when I comes to saving paper allowing me to print contact sheets as well as images of various sizes all at the same time.  I set my paper paramaters in the printer setup - sometimes it is necessary to set a custom size depending on what you are printing - in either roll or flat - and after you have set it up, when you go to Qimage to print it accepts the size you had previously set up.  Then you add your images via Qimage.  Could it be the version of Qimage you have?  I have the Pro - if you continue to have problems send me a PM and perhaps I can help you with it.
Harris

namartinnz

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:32:51 pm »

I'll add my 2c to what the other guys are saying - Qimage is the way to go. I'd be lost without it. I do my print page setup the same way Ernst does it. Simple and easy.

Neal

abrehm

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 11:12:04 pm »

Duh, I figured it out....  I have the Z3100 hooked up to another computer via a ethernet cable and shared over a wireless network.  I have been trying to print from my main computer (that has all my image files on it) via Qimage over the wireless network to the shared Z3100.  While I was changing the paper size in the printer driver on my main machine, the driver on the machine the Z3100 was hooked up to was still set to letter.

Once I printed the image on the other computer (the one that is hooked up to the Z3100 via ethernet cable) it worked fine.

Obviously this is not the best way to have things "networked".  Is there a better way to do it over a wireless network since my house is not wired for ethernet?

Thanks for the help!
andy

Drew Baker

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 02:32:32 am »

Obviously this is not the best way to have things "networked".  Is there a better way to do it over a wireless network since my house is not wired for ethernet?
If your printer is plugged into your router* via ethernet then you shouldn't have to use printer sharing on any of your computers.  They should all be able to use it independently as a network printer.  

I'm guessing you installed your Z3100 as a network printer on the first computer, then set it to share the printer.  Then, on your wireless computer you installed the Z3100 by browsing to the other computer's shared printer.  Is that correct?  If it is, reinstalling the printer on the wireless system as a network printer should keep the paper size inconsistency from being an issue.  

--Drew

*Or anywhere else on your network where it can get its own address, rather than being tied to a single computer.

Drew Baker

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 02:48:51 am »

Obviously this is not the best way to have things "networked".  Is there a better way to do it over a wireless network since my house is not wired for ethernet?

A wholly different direction you could go is using some kind of remote desktop software -- like Netmeeting or UltraVNC -- to allow your wireless computer to control the ethernet connected computer for printing.  That way you can manage all the print jobs from your wireless computer without needing to pass all the data over your wireless network.  You also won't tie up the wireless computer when processing print jobs, since they'll be running on the ethernet computer.  

I use basically this arrangement (using UltraVNC -- http://www.uvnc.com/ )  to run my print jobs on my secondary computer while I'm doing other work with my primary system.  

--Drew

abrehm

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 11:15:21 am »

Drew, thank you for your help.

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I dont have much networking experience if you cant tell) but could I but a second wireless router and hook the Z3100 up to that router to effectively be networked?  

The reason I ask is because the cable jack is near my main computer, so I have the cable going straight to the cable modem which is hooked up to my wireless router and my main PC.  Could I effectively network the Z3100 by adding another wireless router to the system and tying it in to the wireless network I already have established?

Thanks again,
Andy

T_om

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:32:19 pm »

Drew, thank you for your help.

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I dont have much networking experience if you cant tell) but could I but a second wireless router and hook the Z3100 up to that router to effectively be networked? 

The reason I ask is because the cable jack is near my main computer, so I have the cable going straight to the cable modem which is hooked up to my wireless router and my main PC.  Could I effectively network the Z3100 by adding another wireless router to the system and tying it in to the wireless network I already have established?

Thanks again,
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You don't need another router provided your present router has an open port.  Just plug in the printer to your router and go.  Or am I missing something here?

Tom

abrehm

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 10:56:48 pm »

My router is in a different room than my printer.  I have begun to look at wireless print servers as a option.  Hopefully they are compatible with the z3100.

WaltZ

• http://WaltZPhotography.com
Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 12:08:50 am »

My router is in a different room than my printer.  I have begun to look at wireless print servers as a option.  Hopefully they are compatible with the z3100.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Given that the Z3100 already has an ethernet port, I don't think you need a print server.    I believe a wired-ethernet-to-wireless adapter should let you connect your printer to your wireless router.  

Something like this:
[a href=\"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127153]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833127153[/url]
or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16873999102

I haven't used one of these before, but I have used print servers (both parallel and USB varieties) and they've all been more pain than they're worth.  They're now landfill material.

Roscolo

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 02:06:12 am »

My router is in a different room than my printer.  I have begun to look at wireless print servers as a option.  Hopefully they are compatible with the z3100.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wonder how a powerline networking solution would work here. Like this:

[a href=\"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124096]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833124096[/url]

I've been meaning to pick one of these up and haven't yet. I know people who are using the device in the link above to stream HD video through the house and it works extremely well. Seems like it would work better than wireless for printing large files.

Drew Baker

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »

could I but a second wireless router and hook the Z3100 up to that router to effectively be networked? 
You'd need a wireless router with "access point" or "client" mode, or a router that can be hacked to run as an access point/client.  I've done a little tinkering with a Netgear router following the instructions at http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=2880 -- but clearly there's no official support, and beyond emailing the telnetenable.exe I can't provide much support either.

I'd have to say it's not an ideal solution.  I don't think anything's faster or more reliable than a long cable.  That said, I don't have any experience with ethernet/wireless converters or power line networking.

--Drew

jpmulligan

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 03:12:52 am »

You may want to look at something like the Buffalo Technology Wireless G Ethernet Converter. It is essentially a 4 port wireless hub that connects to your wireless access point, and you can just plug the Z3100 into it and get immediate networking for it. This is how I have my printer hooked up, as it is in a spare room in my house that does not have a wired connection. It has worked flawlessly for me since April when I received my printer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up