Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! HP APS install disaster  (Read 16134 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Help! HP APS install disaster
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 08:11:06 am »

My printer PC is a standalone, ie no connection to the outside world.

Can anyone tell if this will prevent me from activating APS if I buy it?

Thanks

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 12:31:03 pm »

The APS needs to have the monitor calibrator plugged in, and you then activate it with a software key number via the internet.  Without unlocking it it will be in a crippled demo mode.  Once unlocked, it is strictly an in house issue, with the APS interfacing with your monitor and your printer to profile and calibrate.  You can download the software that must be obtained from HP and transfer it from another computer, but I don't know how you can activate the software without an internet connection.  
-Ron
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:36:42 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 07:37:24 am »

Thanks Ron.  Looks like I'm stuck until I can get a connection.

Mike

peteh

• http://
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 10:08:53 pm »

I just purchased the HP Advanced Profiling Solution to go along with my DesignJet Z3100. This looks like a good solution, except that I cannot get it activated and out of demo mode.

First off, I was astonished   to discover the CD in the package does not actually contain the APS software. It simply links to a website to download the application. That did not work, however, since the URL was no good and I just received a page not found error. I found a link to download version 1.3 in another message thread and did that. That version installed just fine.

Now when I run the application it is in demo mode. I click the "Activation/Registration" button and it takes me to the page to enter the CD Key. I did that and it comes back and insists that I have a proxy server address to enter so that it can go online to activate. The only problem is that I am not using a proxy server for my internet connection and there is nothing to enter. No matter what I do it will not let me activate.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make this work? Possibly go back to an earlier version? If so, does anyone have a link to an earlier version of the software? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Roy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

deelight

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 06:31:44 am »

I'm struggling with installing my APS now.  I managed to download the software (no thanks to HP for not fixing the link and for sending you to the bogus site for registration with the error message shown in the screencap above).
Unfortunately, I have plugged my eye one in and it's serial number is showing up in the APS software window, but I keep getting error messages saying I should call tech support to register.  Of course, HP's "24 hour" tech support is only open until 5pm Pacific time, so I can't get through to them until tomorrow. 
This episode, plus the time I wasted trying in vain to update my firmware, only to discover that the new release is not able to be run on the APS machine, has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for a first impression.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi folks!

Now I am the lucky one with this problem. I bought APS seperately and cannot activate the software. I get an error message saying to contact the support. In my case there is no mistake in reading the correct the code (e.g. I and 1).

The case is at HP support but nobody knows how long an answer will take.  

Anybody here in the forum with a similar problem that has been solved anyhow? I am on MAC 10.4.9

Thanks,

Clem
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:32:38 am by deelight »

DotCom Editor

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 02:33:42 pm »

Good product, horrendous software.

After a month of HP support unable to get my APS to see the printer (even though HPPU, Qimage, PS CS3,  and everything else see it just fine), I had no choice but to reformat my hard drive, re-install Windows, apply hundreds of OS patches, then APS, then all my applications, and restore tens of thousands of data files from my backup RAID array. That took three days and nights.

Yes, APS now works. The HP gentleman was superb. I have nothing but the highest regard for his efforts, professionalism, and determination. We felt badly for each other. But the fact is, no one could ever figure out what the problem was. Could be a registry issue. Could be apps running outside their alloted RAM. We'll never know, because reformatting was tantamount to cremating the body before an autopsy could be performed. And X-Rite, the company that wrote the software, was worthless. Well, less than worthless, if that's possible. They never, ever responded to inquiries from HP. Worthless.

APS is invaluable, but getting there was an absolute insult.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:04 am »

There were problems with registering APS before . HP refers these issues to X-Rite as it is registered through X-Rite, not HP. So HP are in the firing line for any problems occurring outside of their direct control. Arguably HP should have forced the issue of online registration for a dongle or other way.
The app though when working is very very good. Updating it though has not been easy for most, nor is there enough information about resolving problems.  I sincerely wonder if Epson will not have the same problems with the 79+9900.

deelight

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 11:23:46 am »

After calling HP hotline again today I received a phone call from X-Rite and they gave me a new code. Activation went flawlessly.

Best regards,

Clem

rdonson

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 01:21:13 pm »

After calling HP hotline again today I received a phone call from X-Rite and they gave me a new code. Activation went flawlessly.

Best regards,

Clem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Super!!!  I'm glad to hear its finally resolved.  APS is a very nice addition to the Z.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up