Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Stylus Photo 2000P Compatable Inks  (Read 2117 times)

Jen_Milwaukee

Epson Stylus Photo 2000P Compatable Inks
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:05:30 pm »

I just purchased an epson stylus photo 2000p and now I need to purchase ink.  I see on ebay that I can buy non-epson ink that is compatable to the epson T015201 and T016201 inks, for a fraction of the cost I will have to pay for the epson brand ink.    I keep thinking that there has to be a downside to this.  What are the consequences of using generic ink for my 2000p printer?  Can the ink possibly dammage my printer?  Is the non-epson ink archival?

I am on a low budget right now, but I do not want to ruin my printer or drastically sacrifice the quality of my prints because of it.  Please tell me what you think, and let me know if there is a particular generic ink that works well for the 2000p and if there is a particular seller on ebay that you may of had good experience with.

Also is you have any recommendations of where I can get a good deal on decent archival paper for the printer, please let me know.

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 06:04:48 pm »

I just purchased an epson stylus photo 2000p and now I need to purchase ink.  I see on ebay that I can buy non-epson ink that is compatable to the epson T015201 and T016201 inks, for a fraction of the cost I will have to pay for the epson brand ink.    I keep thinking that there has to be a downside to this.  What are the consequences of using generic ink for my 2000p printer?  Can the ink possibly dammage my printer?  Is the non-epson ink archival?

I am on a low budget right now, but I do not want to ruin my printer or drastically sacrifice the quality of my prints because of it.  Please tell me what you think, and let me know if there is a particular generic ink that works well for the 2000p and if there is a particular seller on ebay that you may of had good experience with.

Also is you have any recommendations of where I can get a good deal on decent archival paper for the printer, please let me know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may be better off going with a CIS solution from a reputable company rather than e-bay vendor selling carts.  I say this because you are also asking about archival paper which would tell me that you care about the archival abilities of the ink that you would be using.... whether it's from Epson or some other company.

I do not use a CIS but it seems that the people that do, are happy with the results, and I will let them tell you which ones are good.  
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:35:20 am »

Did you purchase the printer new, and is it on warranty? Using a third party ink will void it.

If you're off warranty, you can save some money but since you are a photographer, I'd assume you are concerned about the quality of your prints. Once you go away from factory supplies, you need either a way to profile your ink and media combination, or a supplier who can give you a canned profile. It's very unlikely that the third party ink will print exactly the same as the OEM ink.

If you decide to go the third party ink route, make sure that the new ink is compatible with the old, and make sure the new supplier will stand behind that statement. It's not uncommon to have a lot of problems with nozzle clogs because of an interaction between the old and the new inks. If you are a high volume user, you might consider a bulk ink supply to cut your costs. If you are an occasional printer, stick with the OEM, it will save you problems in the long run.

I have had mixed success with third party inks, and can recommend one that I am running in my Roland FJ500, which is basically a big Epson. I've had it in for over a year, and it's better that the Roland ink ever was. It's called lumichrome,  distributed by a company called the Digital Group in Boca Raton, FL. I'm not sure that they make a cartridge for the 2000p, but you can contact Steve Bernstein at 954-444-4382 to inquire.

****Important note*****
I do consulting work for their parent company, The Cartolith Group, and wanted to make sure you knew that I have a business relationship with them.

That said, I've also been a customer of Steve's for four years, and definitely recommend him as a great supplier.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:56:57 am »

Unless you know someone whom you respect with hands on experience with the third party inks on your printer model I'd avoid them like the plague.  With your printer if you mess up a print head you're going to have to replace the printer.  Its not worth chancing it in most cases.

You ask for recommendations for archival papers but you don't mention if you have a preference for matte, semi-gloss/satin/luster or glossy.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up