Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Problems "if" any have you had with P-Series  (Read 5329 times)

Snook

What Problems "if" any have you had with P-Series
« on: July 31, 2007, 02:38:58 pm »

Just wondering about warranty and which one to get if I get a P+30 or P+25.
Never seen this topic here but where I live it is rather a pain to send back and forth expensive items like a Phase one back through Customs etc.. even with "legit" taxes paid from the beginning,
It is a headache and cost a lot.
So my question is based on that.
How many or how often do Phase one back needs service or have problems. Is it common.. un common, not likely or very likely?
I would appreciate any input on your experiences with Phase One backs.
I have had a 1Ds and 1DsMII for the last 4-5 yeasr and only recently had the shutter go out on the 1DsMII which was replaced 3 times "locally" which is unusual where I live.

Thank you
Snook

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:08:16 pm »

why did your shutter had to be replaced 3 times?? My shutter gave up after 134,000 images and luckily this happend within the 1 year warranty so it was replaced for free. Can I ask you how much you paid for the replacement of the shutter...just in case mine gives up again...thanks

Jae_Moon

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 03:56:34 pm »

How many or how often do Phase one back needs service or have problems. Is it common.. un common, not likely or very likely?

Thank you
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook:

I had my P45 for 14 months and I got it with 3 years warranty package. My unit had a power supply failure within the first month, and the unit had to be sent to Denmark for a repair. After contacting my dealer during the weekend, Phase One sent me a loner within 3 days, along FedEx prepaid box so I could ship my unit back to NY. The repaired unit came back 10 days later. I didn't have any problems since then. I think  the failure in my case was a typical electronic 'dead on arrival'. Since there are no mechanical parts, other than FW and synch connections, I don't see any reason the unit would give me any more problem. It is very solid and well built machine.

Jae Moon

Snook

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 04:24:11 pm »

Thanks Jae and Nic.. My shutter was replaced here where I live and the attention is probably not 100%. Luckily it was covered but it had to be tweaked three times and works now (Knock on wood)
Thanks for the comments
This is truly to find out what people are experiencing.
Not in any way to bash phase one ofcourse...
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 05:13:35 pm »

Never seen this topic here but where I live it is rather a pain to send back and forth expensive items like a Phase one back through Customs etc.. even with "legit" taxes paid from the beginning,
It is a headache and cost a lot.
So my question is based on that.
I have had a 1Ds and 1DsMII for the last 4-5 yeasr and only recently had the shutter go out on the 1DsMII which was replaced 3 times "locally" which is unusual where I live.

Thank you
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You really should not have to have any regular maintenance except for firmware updates.  The updates should probably only be done annually and can be easily done yourself.  

As far as the warranty decision, it depends on if this camera is making your "bread & butter."
If it is, I highly recommend getting the 3 year Value Added Warranty.  The 3 year Warranty allows you to get a loaner back within 24-48 hrs. It also give you 2 batteries, a full copy of C1 Pro, Sandisk 1GB Extreme III CF Card and a USB II card reader.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration

Snook

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 06:22:17 pm »

Thanks Clawery for the information. Yes it is my bread and butter...:+}
Is that 24-48 hour deal worldwide I imagine as Phase one is in Denmark? and  all repairs go there.
I am not usually a warranty person but on something so expensive I think your right...
Does anybody know how many upgrades the C-1 pro comes with...?
And I image that is C-1 4.0 you will be getting?
Or is it all together another program for Backs?
Thanks alot
Snook

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 07:22:43 pm »

Snook – I do landscape & nature for my bread and butter, I’m actually sitting on (or is that in) Lake Powell right now.  This is typical of where we go for landscape “way way out there”.  This was one of my concerns when I began shopping for my digital back – that and dealer support.  

You can’t go wrong with either the P30+ or by following Chris’s advice.  I believe you get 2 upgrades to C1 Pro.  I went with the 3 year value added at Chris’s suggestion and while I haven’t have a need for it (I’ve had the P30+ less than 8 weeks) I very glad I did.

Don

Snook

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 08:01:06 pm »

Thanks Iron creek///  
May I ask you on what you shoot your P+30 ? And I guess the Small crop factor does not bother you on Landscapes? What Wide angle lens are you using .
Thanks for input. Your a perfect example being far away.
Thanks again for your input
Snook

Jack Varney

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 08:33:15 pm »

Snook, I used my dealer's "demo" P25 for about 5 weeks, another P25 from Phase while my P45 was on order for about four months and, now, my P45 for 17 months. Not one problem with any of these units.
Jack Varney

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:44:53 pm »

Thanks Clawery for the information. Yes it is my bread and butter...:+}
Is that 24-48 hour deal worldwide I imagine as Phase one is in Denmark? and  all repairs go there.
I am not usually a warranty person but on something so expensive I think your right...
Does anybody know how many upgrades the C-1 pro comes with...?
And I image that is C-1 4.0 you will be getting?
Or is it all together another program for Backs?
Thanks alot
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

I know that the warranty is upheld worldwide, but it would depend on where you are as to how fast they could get you a loaner back.  The problem is that if you are 6 hrs. behind EST, it would be hard for someone in NY to get a back out the same day.  That is why Phase says it will get you a loaner in 24-48 hrs.  

You will get two major upgrades with C1 Pro.  All the smaller maintenance updates are free.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 10:23:49 pm »

Thanks Iron creek///  
May I ask you on what you shoot your P+30 ? And I guess the Small crop factor does not bother you on Landscapes? What Wide angle lens are you using .
Thanks for input. Your a perfect example being far away.
Thanks again for your input
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Snook, sorry it's taken so long in replying.  I was up in Lake Powell and Monument Valley early this week and had very spotting coverage for internet access.  To anser your questions - I use a Mamiya 645 AFD II with the P30+ and no the crop factor doesn't bother me.  I shoot a lot of panos using between 2 to 5 images to get what I feel is a true feeling of the wide open spaces here in the Southwest.  Bottom line is I truly love my P30+ Mamiya combo and feel it is best suited to me.  As far as lens go I shoot anywhere from 34mm to 300mm both auto and manual focus with no problems at all.  Hope this helps

Don

Snook

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 10:25:52 am »

Yes it does , Thank you..
The crop factor is not much right?
I want to get the 120 macro for sure as it is the stellar lens. What do you suggest for semi-wide angle.?
The 35 or the 45? I am leaning torwards the 35? I shoot Portrait and fashion so very different than landscape.
I was chatting with a guy through e-mail who does aerials and he jsut got rid of his P30+ b/c he said the buffer was taking to long..
Does the P25+ and 45+ buffer much faster than a 30+? I have another friend who has the 45+ and the first thing he told me was how fast he could shoot...?
Thank you. I know your style is much slower than mine probably , but I do appreciate your input..  
Snook

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 12:58:28 pm »

Yes it does , Thank you..
The crop factor is not much right?
I want to get the 120 macro for sure as it is the stellar lens. What do you suggest for semi-wide angle.?
The 35 or the 45? I am leaning torwards the 35? I shoot Portrait and fashion so very different than landscape.
I was chatting with a guy through e-mail who does aerials and he jsut got rid of his P30+ b/c he said the buffer was taking to long..
Does the P25+ and 45+ buffer much faster than a 30+? I have another friend who has the 45+ and the first thing he told me was how fast he could shoot...?
Thank you. I know your style is much slower than mine probably , but I do appreciate your input..  
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Snook- Glad to help.... I've had no problems with the crop factor.  I don't use any macro lens.  I use the 35 a lot.  So far I have the following lens (and growing) 35, 80, 150, 210 and 300 f2.8.  All of these with the exception of the 300 is AF.  I also have a Hartblie 45 SuperRotator for a tilt/shift (there's been a lot of discussion here on this lens).  I plan to be using all these lens for our trip to Alaska coming soon.  I just returned from Lake Powell and Monument Valley where I used the 35 60% the 80 10% and the 210 maybe 30% of the time.  One of the reason I like shooting MF is that it makes me slow down.  98% of my shooting is on a tripod.  Remember, slow is fast!

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up