Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's wrong with these images?  (Read 6822 times)

Ray

What's wrong with these images?
« on: July 31, 2007, 02:29:55 am »

I'm being a bit provocative here. These are a couple of shots I took in Koh Samui, Thailand. Perhaps a bit naughty. Is there anything of value here, I wonder?

[attachment=2910:attachment]   [attachment=2911:attachment]

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:14:25 am »

Dude, is that guy dead or just stoned to hell??

Looks like ordinary snapshots to me...

offissa

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:04:39 pm »

Looks like you were having a nice time... and these snaps would probably make a good record of it, but I reckon they'd be better if you got rid of the moon.

Gabe

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:41:42 pm »

I'm not clear on what's meant to be provocative and/or naughty in these shots, Ray.. as others have already commented, they seem like fairly unremarkable holiday snaps to me.

The moon is wacky though.. is that what you mean by "what's wrong with these images?" ..?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:43:06 pm by Gabe »

Ray

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:40 pm »

I'm not clear on what's meant to be provocative and/or naughty in these shots, Ray.. as others have already commented, they seem like fairly unremarkable holiday snaps to me.

The moon is wacky though.. is that what you mean by "what's wrong with these images?" ..?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

More or less. I wondered if I could make the images more interesting by placing a nice, sharp moon in the sky, then I wondered if it would actually be possible to take such a shot with a telephoto lens, bracketed exposures, stacking of images in CS3E etc; then I noticed a serious anomaly, particularly noticeable in the first image. The lady in the foreground is in focus, the lady standing behind her is out-of-focus and the moon is back in focus. As you say; looks a bit whacky.  

Ray

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:36:03 pm »

Dude, is that guy dead or just stoned to hell??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dude,
The guy was definitely alive. I was rather touched by the kindly, tolerant attitude of the lady with the cigarette and thought the situation might be worth a shot.

Not finding the processed image particularly interesting, I tried to improve it by adding a moon as a symbolic suggestion of some sort of romance.

But obviously, it hasn't worked, in your opinion.

Andy M

• http://
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:44:10 am »

Asian bar girls are notoriously tolerant so long as $$$ is involved, are they not?

Gabe

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:34:54 pm »

More or less. I wondered if I could make the images more interesting by placing a nice, sharp moon in the sky, then I wondered if it would actually be possible to take such a shot with a telephoto lens, bracketed exposures, stacking of images in CS3E etc; then I noticed a serious anomaly, particularly noticeable in the first image. The lady in the foreground is in focus, the lady standing behind her is out-of-focus and the moon is back in focus. As you say; looks a bit whacky. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, OK -- I see where you're headed now!

I would say the first photo with the moon is far less anomalous than the second one in which the 'distant' moon is seen to partially obscure a person at the back of the bar!    Even without the moon though, the second photo really doesn't do much for me, Ray.

Ray

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:09:33 am »

Ah, OK -- I see where you're headed now!

I would say the first photo with the moon is far less anomalous than the second one in which the 'distant' moon is seen to partially obscure a person at the back of the bar!    Even without the moon though, the second photo really doesn't do much for me, Ray.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's just plain sky and foliage at the back of the bar, so it's probably an out-of-focus leaf that the moon is obscuring.  

The fact is, I'm probably harbouring some unrealistic notion that I have a slight talent for documenting the human condition. Maybe I should return to the place and try a bit harder   .

Ray

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 11:15:58 am »

Asian bar girls are notoriously tolerant so long as $$$ is involved, are they not?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are many situations in life where people can be surprisingly tolerant when $$$$ are involved. Is this not so?  

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:11:40 pm »

Ray, as a self-portrait it will not do: you must get more sleep before you take any more. Trust me on this, dude.

Ciao - Rob C

Ray

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 03:16:52 am »

I would say the first photo with the moon is far less anomalous than the second one in which the 'distant' moon is seen to partially obscure a person at the back of the bar!    Even without the moon though, the second photo really doesn't do much for me, Ray.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay! Just for the record. You're right. There is a person partially obscuring the moon. I just checked. But not in the print    .

I guess we're into deception here.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 07:20:02 am »

Okay! Just for the record. You're right. There is a person partially obscuring the moon. I just checked. But not in the print    .

I guess we're into deception here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

´I guess we are into deception here.¨

You mean, it´s a labour of love?

Ciao - Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up