Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook Pro and my 5D  (Read 4472 times)

rhuber

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:29:35 pm »

Hi All,

I am trying to get my 5D to talk to my new MacBook Pro. Here's a run down of the situation and what I have done:

1 - I'm a PC nerd that bought a MBP.
2 - I have loaded the software shipped with the 5D (Solutions Disc ver 11.0)
3 - I'm a PC nerd
4 - Reformatted the 5D, plugged it in, unplugged it, rinse, repeat
5 - I'm a P...well you get the point

When I plug the camera into the Mac via the USB I get nothing. The computer might as well not see anything on the other end. I try starting apps like Image Browser or Camera Viewer, but neither can see a camera connected to the laptop.

What am I doing wrong, and where is the vaunted ease-of-use Macs are so known for?!

Thanks for any help!
Rick

francois

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:52:50 am »

Hi All,

I am trying to get my 5D to talk to my new MacBook Pro. Here's a run down of the situation and what I have done:

1 - I'm a PC nerd that bought a MBP.
2 - I have loaded the software shipped with the 5D (Solutions Disc ver 11.0)
3 - I'm a PC nerd
4 - Reformatted the 5D, plugged it in, unplugged it, rinse, repeat
5 - I'm a P...well you get the point

When I plug the camera into the Mac via the USB I get nothing. The computer might as well not see anything on the other end. I try starting apps like Image Browser or Camera Viewer, but neither can see a camera connected to the laptop.

What am I doing wrong, and where is the vaunted ease-of-use Macs are so known for?!

Thanks for any help!
Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Rick,
Have you tried to connect your camera to your MacBook with a different cable and/or different USB port? Disconnect all other USB peripherals except your camera.
To see if your Mac is connected to your Camera go the the Apple menu (blue Apple), then About this Mac, then click on More info...  . This opens the system profiler application, in the left column, click on USB. It will show a list of all your peripherals connected via USB. You should see your camera. I've attached a screenshot (System Profiler) of a Canon 400D connected to my Mac via USB.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:18:48 am by francois »
Francois

rhuber

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 04:07:34 pm »

Hi Francois,

Thanks for replying!

I was able to get the MBP to see the 10D and another point and shoot Canon, but for some reason the 5D goes unrecognized. I have tried 4 different cables and both USB ports. I have tried to connect before powering on the camera and after it is powered. Nothing seems to work. The 5D was working fine with my PC, but now I am even having problems with that. I do have it set to PC Connect communication, so it shouldn't be a settings issue.

As far as the USB section in the profiler, it never changes or shows device information regardless of what device I have connected.

It looks like I will have to get a card reader until this is fixed.

Thanks again for the help,
Rick

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 05:06:24 pm »

Download the latest version of Canon EOS Utility (2.02) from the Canon Website.
Gerald J Skrocki

rhuber

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:08:01 pm »

Download the latest version of Canon EOS Utility (2.02) from the Canon Website.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jerryrock,

I did try this already. Unfortunately most of the menu options are grey'd out as the camera is not seen by the computer. I am starting to believe this is a Camera issue not an computer issue...

Thanks for the help,
Rick

francois

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:16:42 am »

Hi Francois,

Thanks for replying!

I was able to get the MBP to see the 10D and another point and shoot Canon, but for some reason the 5D goes unrecognized. I have tried 4 different cables and both USB ports. I have tried to connect before powering on the camera and after it is powered. Nothing seems to work. The 5D was working fine with my PC, but now I am even having problems with that. I do have it set to PC Connect communication, so it shouldn't be a settings issue.

As far as the USB section in the profiler, it never changes or shows device information regardless of what device I have connected.

It looks like I will have to get a card reader until this is fixed.

Thanks again for the help,
Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm sorry to hear that you still have the issue. One last thing comes to my mind... Is your 5D loaded with the latest firmware? Unfortunately, I don't have a 5D here to test the connection with a MacBook Pro. (I'll have a 5D back  in a couple of weeks only).
Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:29:29 am by francois »
Francois

rhuber

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:11:26 pm »

Yes it has the latest firmware. I tried to get it connected again last night to my PC at home and that didn't work either. Looks like I will have to send this thing in for service, again, when I get back from my trip..

Thanks everyone for the help,
Rick

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 01:59:49 am »

I use my 5D pretty effortlessly with my 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro, I usually import images using a Sandisk firewire card reader, but I have no problems also connecting the camera straight to the macbook via USB. I have Image Capture version 3.0.3 installed and when the 5D is connected, Image Capture opens automatically.

Maybe if you open Image Capture without the camera connected, then open preferences to get to the following screen -

Make sure you have "When a camera is connected, open: Image Capture", now quit Image Capture and try connecting the 5D to check if Image Capture opens. Other than this I am unsure what else could help, good luck.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 02:00:51 am by Lightbox »

francois

MacBook Pro and my 5D
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 03:00:10 am »

I use my 5D pretty effortlessly with my 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro, I usually import images using a Sandisk firewire card reader, but I have no problems also connecting the camera straight to the macbook via USB. I have Image Capture version 3.0.3 installed and when the 5D is connected, Image Capture opens automatically.

Maybe if you open Image Capture without the camera connected, then open preferences to get to the following screen -

Make sure you have "When a camera is connected, open: Image Capture", now quit Image Capture and try connecting the 5D to check if Image Capture opens. Other than this I am unsure what else could help, good luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Looks like Rick's 5D is defective in some way... I just tried to hook up many Canon cameras on my MBP 2.4 and they show  up without any problem.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up