Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D user P30 First Impression  (Read 4490 times)

etrump

Canon 5D user P30 First Impression
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:52:20 am »

I received my P30 and have had a few days to play with it so I thought I would post some first impressions to further confuse those who are mulling over a DB purchase.  I am using it with a Mamiya 645AFDII.

1. First and foremost, the back is extremely easy to use.  I am pretty much addicted to the control configuration of canon 5D and 1D Mk III but after 1 pass through the manual I had everything down.  I thought the 4 buttons would require endless menus but the truth is, it is simple requiring just a few depressions to do anything.

2. Coming from the canon gear, the dynamic range of the P30 is really incredible.  The best test I could think of was to shoot puffy clouds in the middle of the day.  With the canon gear I almost always have to use HDR to get anything close to usable.  With my first exposure on the P30 I checked the exposure warning and nothing.  I thought I might have under exposed it, but the histogram looked right.  Needless to say from the first shutter release I was sure I had made a good move.  I expected more DR but I have to say, my first experience in the field really brought a smile to my face.  I just finished reading Alain's book Mastering Landscape Photography and I think I will do his DR testing on both cameras.

Here is a 5D HDR using three exposures:

Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

ternst

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:22:52 am »

Ed:

I recently made the move up to Phase One as well (1ds2 > P45) and I have found that even smaller prints look better now. You will love the really big ones! (I had to order a larger printer...)

Tim Ernst, a fellow Arkansas fellow

etrump

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:51:39 am »

Tim,

I knew you had upgraded which was one of the MANY factors in deciding on the P30 over the Leaf 65.  

I love your work.

Since your reading this, I emailed a reg to your wildflower workshop and have not gotten a response.  AM I IN?  

Regards,
Ed
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:37:49 pm »

I am putting together a Mamiya 645 AFD II system so that I can make the same move in the future. I need maximum DR. Has any one tested the DR of different MF backs or sensors to compare DR? I would favor DR to resolution for my use.
I've looked at the specifications and they all say 12 stops but some sensors/backs must be better than others in DR. For me budget is an important consideration so I'm considering the Mamiya zd back but don't want to make a wrong decision if another sensor/back has significantly better DR.
Thanks
Marc
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:41:03 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up