Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Premium Price for DVD copy  (Read 4409 times)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Premium Price for DVD copy
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:43:54 am »

As a way to bridge the gap between offering only a download version of your tutorials, I thought it might be worthy to see if there is an interest in continuing to offer DVD media as an alternative.

It seems to me that the cost of getting the content onto a DVD, the packaging, extra handling, and shipping are making this an unprofitable venture.

I'm curious if your customers would be willing to pay a premium for this service - if yes how much of a premium is the question.  Second, how long after the download copy is posted would your customers be willing to wait for the DVD version.  I get the impression that the post work involved is time consuming...adding a significant time lag for this service.

Michael - I can easily understand why you are changing the format - just thinking about the additional time involved would cause me to make the same decision.  Have you thought about subcontracting this out and charging an appropriate markup?  The cost of losing a customer should be taken into consideration too.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:54:20 am »

As a way to bridge the gap between offering only a download version of your tutorials, I thought it might be worthy to see if there is an interest in continuing to offer DVD media as an alternative.

It seems to me that the cost of getting the content onto a DVD, the packaging, extra handling, and shipping are making this an unprofitable venture.

I'm curious if your customers would be willing to pay a premium for this service - if yes how much of a premium is the question.  Second, how long after the download copy is posted would your customers be willing to wait for the DVD version.  I get the impression that the post work involved is time consuming...adding a significant time lag for this service.

Michael - I can easily understand why you are changing the format - just thinking about the additional time involved would cause me to make the same decision.  Have you thought about subcontracting this out and charging an appropriate markup?  The cost of losing a customer should be taken into consideration too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Now that I have had some experience with the download versions of both LLVJ issue 16 and the Camera-to-Print tutorial, I would say I would be willing to pay a substantial premium for a DVD version (probably even double the download price, or even more), if I could be reasonably sure of getting it delivered within about three months at least 90% of the time.

If I were to calculate a reasonable rate for my own time, I would have to estimate that these two downloads have cost me in excess of US $1000 so far. A DVD at double, or even triple the price is looking more and more attractive.

If a DVD alternative doesn't become available before my current LLVJ subscription expires, I will very likely -- although very reluctantly -- join the ranks of former subscribers.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:34:27 pm »

As Chris and I have stated before, the DVD business model no longer works. The higher the premium charged, the lower the number of takers.

As for using outside services, that's what we've always done. But these are designed for high volume fullfillment, and for small volume the costs skyrockets. The higher the price, the less takers. The less takers, the higher the price. Regretably it's a lose, lose situation.

We expect to be able to provide HD quality downloads within a year, so that need will be addressed.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:36:27 pm by michael »

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:40:47 pm »

Thanks Michael.  You seem like a class act.  I hope to meet you someday and visit your gallery.   I've learned a lot from your site and articles over the past year and thoroughly enjoyed the Lightroom tutorial.

I think I'll take a shot and purchase this 6 hour lesson but only after I've invested in a monitor calibration system.  That seems to be one of the foundations I need in place before I'd see any increase in the quality of my printed work.   What times do your servers have the minimum loads so I can time my download accordingly?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

michael

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:47:16 pm »

It's getting better day by day as the initial feeding frenzy passes and as we fine tune the server and bandwidth. The best time would be late evening, eastern.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up