Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow Download  (Read 20019 times)

Lex

Slow Download
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:35:46 am »

Can any of the computer gurus tell me why I'm having great trouble downloading the new tutorial. I'm in Australia and my broadband speed is quite slow at the best of times. However each time I start to download a file the speed drops to about 15KBsec.At about 45 Meg it says download complete and drops out. This is after about an hour and 15min. So it is quite frustrating.

I had little trouble with the Lightroom tutorial notwithstanding my slow speed.  

Lex Franks

wakeboy

Slow Download
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 04:50:37 am »

mine hangs as well and im on a 2meg connection.... it downloiads 14 meg then stops.....

michael

Slow Download
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:02 am »

The demand for the tutorial is very high. Much higher than we had anticipated. This is placing a huge load on our server.

We're doing what we can. Please be patient. It will sort itself out in a day or so.

Thanks,

Michael

Lex

Slow Download
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 05:57:40 am »

The demand for the tutorial is very high. Much higher than we had anticipated. This is placing a huge load on our server.

We're doing what we can. Please be patient. It will sort itself out in a day or so.

Thanks,

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks very much for your timely reply Michael. I shall try to download when the dust settles a bit.

marcvezina

Slow Download
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 08:16:21 am »

The slow download speed is one thing - but at this end the connection also times out and breaks almost at every download after 100mg or 200mg. Now that's another thing...
I have just spent an evening in front of the computer just trying to download 3 complete zip files. I am up to 2 and I am giving up after about 10 ‘time out’. How long really I should have to wait before trying again? I don't really know - 1, 2 days - a week... Who really knows?

I think smaller file would help…

As it is a very unpleasant surprise, some people may appreciate a notice that it may easily take a week or so to be able to complete your 'downloads'.

I saw your notice a few days back that said: "To support the extra traffic on the site due to the high volume of video file downloads (currently about 5 Terrabytes a month); we will be updating our server, again, on Sunday morning..."
What happened?

I am not agreeable to a situation that's out of everyone's control. But if you do come up with a solution please make a public announcement. And in the meantime let's hope that I don't run out of download links or download limit on my side... Yes surprisingly enough there are still places in the world where you are imposed download limits for the month.

And now it is becoming a labor of love to get these files home.

Regards
Marc Vezina

AdrianL

• http://
Slow Download
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:21:44 am »

The slow download speed is one thing - but at this end the connection also times out and breaks almost at every download after 100mg or 200mg. Now that's another thing...
I have just spent an evening in front of the computer just trying to download 3 complete zip files. I am up to 2 and I am giving up after about 10 ‘time out’. How long really I should have to wait before trying again? I don't really know - 1, 2 days - a week... Who really knows?

I think smaller file would help…

As it is a very unpleasant surprise, some people may appreciate a notice that it may easily take a week or so to be able to complete your 'downloads'.

I saw your notice a few days back that said: "To support the extra traffic on the site due to the high volume of video file downloads (currently about 5 Terrabytes a month); we will be updating our server, again, on Sunday morning..."
What happened?

I am not agreeable to a situation that's out of everyone's control. But if you do come up with a solution please make a public announcement. And in the meantime let's hope that I don't run out of download links or download limit on my side... Yes surprisingly enough there are still places in the world where you are imposed download limits for the month.

And now it is becoming a labor of love to get these files home.

Regards
Marc Vezina
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

michael

Slow Download
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 09:02:00 am »

As of this morning we are making some tuning adjustments to the server.

This will limit the ultimate bandwidth of any one download, but should even out the responsiveness. Also we have increased the number of simultaneous allowable download connections. These two settings combined should be helpful until we can take more aggressive measures.

There will be no expiry during the next year of download files, so not to worry, you can get them any time.

Michael

Douglas

Slow Download
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 11:00:19 am »

Michael,

This just shows the timeliness and value of what you and Jeff have done here.  I did run into some problems downloading and am still trying to get the last segment.  However, I've watched the first 3 chapters.  Well worth the wait and any frustration.  Thanks for what you do!

bjanes

Slow Download
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 01:19:54 pm »

As of this morning we are making some tuning adjustments to the server.

This will limit the ultimate bandwidth of any one download, but should even out the responsiveness. Also we have increased the number of simultaneous allowable download connections. These two settings combined should be helpful until we can take more aggressive measures.

There will be no expiry during the next year of download files, so not to worry, you can get them any time.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that some further tweaking might be advisable. I'm on my fourth attempt to download volumes 7-9 only to have the process abort after 3-4 hours. It would better to limit additional downloads so that downloads in progress could continue without interruption.

michael

Slow Download
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 02:31:11 pm »

Part of the trouble appears to be that some people are trying to download multiple files simultaneously. This is chocking the server. I have posted the following message, which i hope people will read and head.

During this period of initial availability the demand on our server is very high. When you download
the 7 zip files, each of which is about 250-300MB in size, please do so one at a time.
If you do two, three or more simultaneous file downloads you will clog the server and slow
things down for everyone. Just download the first file, which contains three segments,
and then start downloading the others afterwards. Everyone will appreciate your consideration.

We will also be doubling the server's ram and bandwidth over the next few days, which should address the problem as well.

Michael

wakeboy

Slow Download
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 05:05:53 pm »

why dont you distribute the file on a torrent format with password protection and email/login protection that way, you can save download anget a 700 meg file in about 1.5 hours on a 2 meg connection, or faster if demand is high then there will be lots of us on the peers and nodes... = fast cheap downloads.  

There are ways to make torrents secure....

password protection etc

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Slow Download
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 06:02:25 pm »

why dont you distribute the file on a torrent format with password protection and email/login protection that way, you can save download anget a 700 meg file in about 1.5 hours on a 2 meg connection, or faster if demand is high then there will be lots of us on the peers and nodes... = fast cheap downloads.  

There are ways to make torrents secure....

password protection etc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130495\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'd be delighted to be told of a torrent system that is tied in with a secure shopping-cart/credit card system and mySQL d/base. I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Chris S

bjanes

Slow Download
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 07:04:02 pm »

I think that some further tweaking might be advisable. I'm on my fourth attempt to download volumes 7-9 only to have the process abort after 3-4 hours. It would better to limit additional downloads so that downloads in progress could continue without interruption.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Update on my fifth try started at 1 pm CDT. 4:04 pm 34.4 of 334.5 MB downloaded. 5:40 pm: 34.4 MB downloaded, i.e. download has stopped. I would say this performance is unacceptable.

Download test with CNet bandwith meter for my cable connection: 1.7 megabits / second.

michael

Slow Download
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 07:09:07 pm »

We continue to try and improve the download experience. Based on the feedback we're receiving the vast majority of purchasers are no longer experiencing serious difficulties, though clearly some people are.

We are adding additional bandwidth and server ram over the next few days.

The one thing which we can't control is that a great many people are downloading multiple files simultaneously. This is one of the biggest items slowing the server down.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:13:18 pm by michael »

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
Slow Download
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 09:33:08 pm »

My is working just fine,,It took me 12 minutes to get it all, but files 4,5 & 6 didnt work.

another 23 minutes to get it ,now is working fine.

Great job.

Thank You

BlasR

PS sorry Eric, if you like to have it from me,,pm me,,I can make a deal with you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:34:33 pm by BlasR »
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Rick Popham

• http://
Slow Download
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 09:35:29 pm »

We continue to try and improve the download experience. Based on the feedback we're receiving the vast majority of purchasers are no longer experiencing serious difficulties, though clearly some people are.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems to have stabilized, Michael.  The download speed is still pretty slow, but it's not timing out anymore.  I've managed to download the first two segments, each of which took well over 3 hours @ 25 KB/sec.

The good news is that I'm finding the tutorial to be very valuable.  Lots of good information -- new to me -- even in the introductory segments where I thought I was well informed.  I can't wait to get a handle on soft-proofing!

Michael, Jeff, Chris -- nice job.  Thanks.

Rick

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Slow Download
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 09:35:37 pm »

I downloaded the first three files simultaneously before the request to do them one at a time came out. Those three were between 44.9 and 47.9 KB/sec.

I have now tried some eight attempts to get some of the others, all one file at a time. Seven of those tries all timed out (ranging from 12.0 to 24.9 KB/sec.) After an hour and a half I now have 88 MB of file 13-15 downloaded, at about 24.7 KB/sec.)

I'll leave this one going overnight and hope it finishes, but I am not optimistic.

If this one times out, I'll wait at least a couple of days before trying again.

This doesn't yet make a good case for electronic delivery vs. plastic. i find it very hard to believe that
the vast majority of purchasers are no longer experiencing serious difficulties
. List me among the few who are still having difficulties, at any time of night or day.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Eric Myrvaagnes

Slow Download
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 11:06:41 pm »

Well, that one died, too. Eight dead tries in a row.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

bjanes

Slow Download
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 11:26:12 pm »

Well, that one died, too. Eight dead tries in a row.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130542\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,

On my fifth attempt I finally succeeded in downloading sections 7-9. It was a slow but steady download at 25 KB/sec--about 4 hours. Hang in there and you most likely will succeed.

Bill

seamus finn

Slow Download
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 07:18:26 am »

Something else to be aware of: you may be unable to unzip a file because it is corrupted. This happened to me with the first file - simply download it again. It worked for me the second time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up