Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera to Print Video Tutorial Now Online  (Read 24406 times)

michael

Camera to Print Video Tutorial Now Online
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 10:09:47 pm »

Curious. We've had no other complaints today, with many hundreds of downloads.

I just tried a download myself and it averaged 90kbs and was without problem.

Not sure what problem you're having but I don't think it's as a result of issues at our server. Yesterday's incredibly high initial volume was a real strain on our server, but it survived (with some frustrations I know) and after some fine tuning and today's slight drop in volume people shouldn't be having download problems.

Michael

jeffball

• www.earthandskyphoto.com
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:07 pm »

Wow!  I have just finished the tutorial (yeh, I read Harry Potter in one day, too)  This is a true example of the benefits of downloading!  Incredible information that is both timely while at the same time time-LESS.  Of all the resources available to the aspiring photographer today, this tutorial is firmly in the #1 slot for anyone who wants to improve their printing output.  Excellent job Michael, Chris, and Jeff.  For the regular LL subscriber and reader there will be a mix of material that will be review and some that will provide new insights,  but the Print Soft Proofing segment has already paid off in higher quality prints for me.  Thanks again to the team for wonderful work!  
Jeff
Jeff Ball
[url=http://www.earthandskypho

michael

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 11:44:59 pm »

Thanks Jeff.

With praise like that I hope you don't mind if I quote you.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:45:23 pm by michael »

jeffball

• www.earthandskyphoto.com
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 12:09:44 am »

Michael,
Please use the statements as you wish.  Thanks again for the inspiring work.  
Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

With praise like that I hope you don't mind if I quote you.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff Ball
[url=http://www.earthandskypho

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 05:22:28 am »

Excellent job Michael and Jeff! Well worth the dollars. And the slowish download times.

One question about the Printer Profile segment when you profiled the 3880. There was no mention of letting the test print "dry down" before profiling. Should this in fact be done?

michael

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 09:05:35 am »

Dry down before profiling varies between printers. HP says 10 minutes, Epson has no official position that I'm aware of though most people let a print sit for 30 minutes.

If you used a spectro to measure charge from 1 minute to 24 hours, I'm sure you'd see a very steep fall of in change after the first 5 minutes. How important this is would be a debate about visibility.

I always wait 30 minutes just to be safe.

Michael

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 04:07:36 pm »

Michael, Jeff:

THANK YOU!  A great series!  The hilight for me was Part 10 -  watching Jeff holding a straight face while Michael is associating trigonmetric functions with large african mammals . . .  

-John

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 04:17:15 pm »

I liked the 'shirt wars'

Kalin Wilson

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 05:01:55 pm »

Michael,
Thanks for a great production. I was able to download the whole series over the course of a day and watched it over two days. I'm about to watch it through again and take notes.

I've been getting great print results and feel I know what I'm doing. Still I was pleasantly surprised to learn some great tidbits from this video. The softproofing module was very good. Many of the tools that I use were demoed with highlights of features I didn't know about or techniques that I hadn't seen - nice.

The one area that I'd hoped to see more of was critical print evaluation. The video took us to making the print but not really evaluating the print and revising the file or at least a discussion/demo of what you guys look for. Maybe this would be difficult to do on video. As Jeff said several times, many aspects of the print can't be judged on the computer screen.

Anyway, thanks again. Highly recommended!

Kalin

craig forrest

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 07:39:43 am »

Michael,

Many thanks to you, Chris and Jeff for a great series with Camera to Print!

I am a watercolor painter who uses a flat bed scanner, my Mac, EZColor and an Epson 7600 to reproduce my paintings in limited edition giclees. (I know, you don't like the term giclee but go to any major fine art publication and I'm sure you'll see that it  is consistently being used to describe art reproductions.) Reproducing the colors in my paintings is not easy to say the least. It can cause me to pull out what's left of my hair with each attempt.

Your entire series is excellent but I, apparently along with others, found the soft-proofing segment to be of great interest. It will go a long way toward speeding up my workflow and increasing the accuracy of my reproductions.

Oh yeah, I do photographs too and the LL website along with your video tutorials and journals have been extremely helpful with my photographic efforts.

Now, how about a workflow tutorial taking an example image or two from Camera Raw/Lightroom to soft-proof? You and Jeff could analyse each image in terms of what is needed to get it to the print stage. How about it?

Thanks again for the Camera to Print series. I think every photographer (reproducers of watercolors too) will find a great deal of information to assist them in creating their favorite image .... the next one!

Craig

PS - I have my fingers crossed hoping for good fall color here in the Smokies!

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2007, 11:03:02 am »

I have downloaded the entire series and am a little over half way though watching it.  It is absolutely first rate and is clarifying a lot of questions I'vd had about the entire digital workflow. I find the discussion format between Michael and Jeff particularly helpful.  I'm sure I'll rewatch many segments.  Thanks! Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2007, 04:54:31 pm »

I have to say, for the cost and time to download and unzip, this is the best deal in town. I HATE to wait (I love the iTunes method of getting music). Compared to waiting for a $60 DVD then having all the junk to store (eventually in a landfill), I think this is a great way to access info.

This is 2007, no need for DVD's, jewel cases and high cost. I think this is a great way to disseminate the info.

Just starting watching (quality is great). And Jeff's beard is as finely trimmed as I've ever seen!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

michael

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2007, 06:41:14 pm »

Trimmed beard, but a really horrid shirt.

Michael

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2007, 07:02:05 pm »

Trimmed beard, but a really horrid shirt.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh yeah? Well, you're just jealous of my taste in way cool shirts...(and motorcycles)

:~)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2007, 07:19:49 pm »

Oh yeah? Well, you're just jealous of my taste in way cool shirts...(and motorcycles)

:~)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael, Schewe has female groupies that follow him from show to show (I suspect because of the shirts). He makes basic black look good!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

picnic

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2007, 10:00:12 am »

I just finished watching the last of the videos and wanted to chime in here and say how much I enjoyed it.  Though I do many of the things discussed, it was still of interest to me to hear both of your thoughts.  I also learned a number of things, as expected, and think they will help make me a better printer.

I loved the rapport between you, Michael and Jeff--and even the mild disagreements because it highlighted the fact that in many cases, there isn't A RIGHT thing to do--or rather, there are choices to be made.   The 'shirt thing'  sort of underlined that LOL.

Chris did a great job with the videography--I liked the zoom ins to important info and generally just good videos.  I agree that this is a great way to get the videos--the download was easy over a day--and immediate.  I was watching one as I was downloading another.

BTW---I have not been using LR--and your discussions of it have made me interested enough to go back and become more proficient with it (I do have a legal version since I was an RSP license holder)--esp. the printing.

Diane
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:03:37 am by picnic »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up