Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clarity  (Read 2308 times)

rick.mn

Clarity
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:48:58 am »

Jeff or Michael or Iain,

I really like the new Clarity slider in LR 1.1.  Perhaps not as acquainted with it as I might, I have noticed that it can be overdone - the perception of such more easily seen on prints than on my monitor.

Do you have suggestions about how to use the new tool?  
Michael and Jeff, I know you are both strong proponents of this addition.

Rick Allen

michael

Clarity
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:10:28 pm »

Its use is a matter of seasoning to taste. I find that for many images a setting of about 30 works well. Try doing it while viewing the image at 100%.

Michael

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Clarity
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:52:43 pm »

Well, I would argue that EVERY settings adjustment in Camera Raw/Lightroom can be overdone...but that's not a reason to not use them.

Most images will show an improvement when applying between 10-30 as Mike says...a lot of it is dicatated by the image. If you have a lot of medium frequency detail in the midtones, Clarity will have a strong impact even at lower amounts. There are some images where even at 100 you hardly see an effect. The more midtones your image has, the more impact the Clarity adjustment will have. But, as with ALL CR/LR adjustments, use them wisely...less is often more.

rick.mn

Clarity
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 02:53:13 pm »

Michael and Jeff,
Thanks for the explanation.  Jeff, as you pointed out- I have images where Clarity did not seem to affect the photo at all whereas others looked a little bizaarre.  I will go back and review for closely for the frequency of detail in the midtones.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up