Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah - Mesa Arch and Dead Horse Point SP  (Read 18090 times)

kate61

Utah - Mesa Arch and Dead Horse Point SP
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:57:20 am »

Traveling early September - I only have 1.5 days in Moab - i expect to arrive in Moab area by early afternoon, will have that full afternoon and evening and all of the following day/evening (the day after that we're making the drive back to Vegas so will probably hit the road in the morning). Can anyone recommend the best way to get in both Mesa Arch and Dead Horse SP at times conducive to good photos? Will that leave time to see anything in Arches NP too?  Thanks.

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:06:35 am »

Those places are all within a 1/2 hour of Moab. Plan on a day at Arches, there is so much to see. Delicate Arch at Sunset would be terrific, a couple of mile hike. You can just drive around and choose what arches interest you most.

A half day up in Island in the Sky will get you to Deadhorse Pt and to Mesa Arch with no problem. I think we did everything up there except Mesa. The overlook at the end of Deadhorse is awesome. We got a terrific storm there last Sept and got some great shots.

Win

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:39:30 am »

If you want to get "classic" Mesa Arch photos then you'll need to be at Mesa Arch a least 1 hour before sunrise. Travel time from Moab is 30-45 minutes and 5-10 more minutes from the parking lot. Be very early as the place can be crowded. Dead Horse Point SP is fine at both sunset and sunrise. You could also shoot Mesa Arch when you leave for Las Vegas. You'll have plenty of time to shoot other subjects in the area as Arches NP, Canyonlands NP are all in the same region and very close to Moab.

An if you have the time, don't miss the Tom Till Gallery in Moab.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 09:41:42 am by francois »
Francois

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:55:01 am »

Mea arch is an early morning shot, and only really works when the clouds/weather conditions co-operate.  So if you have two mornings in that 1-1/2 days and want to get the shot, plan on both of them at Mesa.

Dead Horse can be a later morning (after you're done at Mesa) or a sunset shot and it's only an hour or so from Mesa including the walk times to and from the parking lots.

Here's an old shot of Mesa from a time when I was still learning digital processing.  I really need to re-do it and re-post  

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:58:50 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

francois

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:40 am »

I would add that Steve Kossack has a great DVD on Canyonlands and Arches NP (here).

Also, don't drive too fast when you go to Mesa Arch, there's plenty of small wildlife and roads can be icy in September.
Francois

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:00:49 pm »

Don't forget about Green River Overlook which is about 1.5 miles from Mesa Arch.  Good place for sunsets.

That way you can check out Mesa Arch & Deadhorse the day you arrive and then go over to Green River Overlook.

kate61

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 12:12:15 pm »

Is the Green River Overlook a 1.5 mile *hike* or 1.5 mile *drive* from Mesa Arch? How do I get there or do you know any good maps I could find it on? thx.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 03:59:54 pm »

Is the Green River Overlook a 1.5 mile *hike* or 1.5 mile *drive* from Mesa Arch? How do I get there or do you know any good maps I could find it on? thx.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kate61 - The Green River Overlook is about a 1.5 mile drive from Mesa Arch.  You'll get a map of the park when you enter.  The park entrance is approx 2 miles from the park ranger station where you can get maps from as well.  Mesa Arch is approx 5 miles from the Ranger Station and is clearly marked on both the roadside as well as the park maps.  Mesa Arch is on the left side of the road.  There's a parking lot and a short easy hike of about 1/2 from the lot to the arch.  Once you are ready to leave the parking lot you turn left continuing in the same direction as you were heading.  If you want to go to Green River Overlook you must take the first right hand turn you can which is more or less 1/2 on hte right.  Take this road and take your first left.  This road will lead you right to the Overlook.  The park is well maintained and plenty of signs.  Just remember to drive slow and enjoy.

Hope this helps

don

kate61

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 07:31:55 am »

Terrific. Thanks so much. I'll certainly check it out.

thewanderer

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

if i am not misttaken, the green river shot, that you will probly see in tills place is a summer shot,, due to the sun setting furhter up the landscape, thus the nice side linght on the cliffs at green river,, jsut anonther consideration to think about,,

richardb

• http://www.richard-berry.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:00:39 pm »

Tom Tills Green River Overlook shot was taken on or around June 21st for that very reason. I strongly recommend that location, it's great for panoramas.

I agree that you need to be at Mesa Arch at least 30 to 45 minutes before sunrise you will find a headlamp or flashlight invaluable for the short but dark hike. Do not plan on the drive taking 30 minutes (unless you drive at 70mph instead of 55mph and don't mind hitting deer and rabbits!). The last part of the drive has a lot of bends, plan on a 45 to 60 minute drive, depending on your confidence.
Richard Berry Photography
Canmore, Alber

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Traveling early September - I only have 1.5 days in Moab - i expect to arrive in Moab area by early afternoon, will have that full afternoon and evening and all of the following day/evening (the day after that we're making the drive back to Vegas so will probably hit the road in the morning). Can anyone recommend the best way to get in both Mesa Arch and Dead Horse SP at times conducive to good photos? Will that leave time to see anything in Arches NP too?  Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please lets us know how you make out!

don

kate61

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 06:42:03 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely let you know how I make out. Now it's just the waiting game ... don't leave for 3+ weeks. Just enough time to practice shooting star trails (new moon while in Bryce). (half kidding as I'm sure night sky around here is much too light.... but i'll practice anyway)

francois

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 07:11:48 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely let you know how I make out. Now it's just the waiting game ... don't leave for 3+ weeks. Just enough time to practice shooting star trails (new moon while in Bryce). (half kidding as I'm sure night sky around here is much too light.... but i'll practice anyway)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/new-lands.shtml]Here's[/url] an article on night photography...

Good luck with your trip!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:12:02 am by francois »
Francois

kate61

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 07:35:09 am »

How much time would be needed for the following in Arches NP … (not rushing):

drive to: Balanced Rock - do short hike or viewpoint, stopping at Park Ave and Petrified Dunes Viewpoints

drive to: Windows - hike to 4 arches (North and South Windows, Turret Arch, Double Arch)

drive to: Devils Garden, hike Devil's Garden Trail to Pine Tree Arch, Tunnel Arch and Landscape Arch.

If we arrive in Moab sometime between 11:00 am & noon, would it be possible to do this in the afternoon and still have time for Delicate Arch Sunset (about 7pm)?

The following day will head to Mesa Arch (sunrise), Dead Horse Point & Green River Overlook. We could possibly see Delicate Arch this afternoon, or if it's possible to fit it in first afternoon, may try Fiery Furnace instead?

Sound reasonable? Any better suggestions?

Thanks.

nma

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 08:34:52 am »

How much time would be needed for the following in Arches NP … (not rushing):

drive to: Balanced Rock - do short hike or viewpoint, stopping at Park Ave and Petrified Dunes Viewpoints

drive to: Windows - hike to 4 arches (North and South Windows, Turret Arch, Double Arch)

drive to: Devils Garden, hike Devil's Garden Trail to Pine Tree Arch, Tunnel Arch and Landscape Arch.

If we arrive in Moab sometime between 11:00 am & noon, would it be possible to do this in the afternoon and still have time for Delicate Arch Sunset (about 7pm)?

The following day will head to Mesa Arch (sunrise), Dead Horse Point & Green River Overlook. We could possibly see Delicate Arch this afternoon, or if it's possible to fit it in first afternoon, may try Fiery Furnace instead?

Sound reasonable? Any better suggestions?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think your schedule may be possible. Whether it is advisable is another matter.  I would advise you to keep this schedule as a mental goal.  Let the weather and events disctate. If you are really enjoying an area I would not rush off to do the next thing on the list. I would make an exception for Deilicate Arch and plan my time around being there in time for late afternoon and sunset.

Don't worry about this. No matter how much you squeeze in you will quickly realize that you have but scratched the surface.  Just enjoy what I think is the most scenic area in the USA.

kate61

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:51 am »

Yes - a "mental goal" was what I had in mind... definitely don't want to rush but we don't have much time in Arches/Moab area either. This trip is certainly a "scratch the surface" trip to see where to spend more time next time.  Thanks again.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 11:09:21 am »

Delicate Arch is such an excellent place for sunset that you'll be there in a large herd of photographers all jockeying for a position for their tripod.  If you'd enjoy such a social event, then don't miss it.  If you don't like being in a crowd with everyone taking the same photo, however, then I'd suggest finding a less famous place for sunset.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Hank

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 02:49:07 pm »

Your Arches routine is entirely "doable" time-wise, but be prepared for distractions.  I find it very hard to keep any schedule when the light is right.  

As for alternatives to Delicate Arch, I much prefer Fiery Furnace at sunset.  Great views down the draw with the LaSals in the background.  And virtually no people.  Can't beat that for a drive-to location.  Skyline Arch can be really dramatic at sunset, especially with a few clouds in the sky behind it.  I've managed some really decent sunsets at the Windows, especially when viewed from Devils Garden with a longish lens.  Great stuff going on with the sunlit LaSals behind them.

Delicate Arch has fewer people in the fall, but they can still be a factor.  Be prepared for embarrassment, though.  Inevitably some visitors want photos of loved ones sitting under the arch at sunset, while landscapers want no people.  The rudeness of some of the landscapers at your elbows yelling at people to get out of their picture may be enough to make you wish you weren't seen with a camera.

thewanderer

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 02:41:35 pm »

i would also say that near fights have broken out at mesa arch as well as to who gets what first and where,, you best get there WELL before sun comes up, scout you out a few test shots and compositions so you can have a few thoughts.,, because it can get really crowded there,,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up