Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peculiar problem with Epson 7600  (Read 5658 times)

Ray

Peculiar problem with Epson 7600
« on: July 28, 2007, 12:26:58 am »

I mentioned this problem a few years ago and not even Jonathan Wienke could solve it.

The yellows from my 7600 are often contaminated with cyan, resulting in distinctly green yellows. I do a nozzle check and there are no gaps. Everything seems to be okay, except the yellows show a subtle green tinge.

I've resorted to enlarging the canvas size of my images and placing a pure yellow bar acroos the top. As I closely watch the progression of the printing, if the yellow bar looks decidedly green, I abort the printing, then go through a nozzle clean and print out a pure yellow square, 5x7' on an A4 piece of plain paper.

If the square is green, I clean again. When I see a pure yellow, I make my print. Everything's fine and apperas to be a close match to monitor.

The following morning, I print the same image with yellow bar across the top and the same problem occurs. The yellow bar is pale green.

But there's something even more weird. When this problem first occurred, it was brought to my attention because the prints were decidedly lacking in yellow. There was a strong blue cast. I contacted the Epson maintenance guys and they guide me through a Power Cleaning routine, which fixed the problem.

Today, when I continued printing the whole print, despite the fact that the initial yellow bar was green, the final print looked instinguishable from a previous print with a saturated yellow bar, even though the scene is a landscape with a large yellow component.

What's going on? Anyone got an idea?

Edit: To clarify, I have two prints of a rural scene with lots of yellow. Both prints  are indistinguishably the same regarding color and tonality, yet the added yellow bar at the top of one print is clearly green but the bar on the other print is clearly yellow. Am I slowly going mad?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:55:18 am by Ray »

p.tinson

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 02:56:19 pm »

No you are not going mad.
I believe the capping/cleaning unit in your printer to be the problem.
What is happening is that when the head is capped the sponge in the capping unit that keeps the head moist is for some reason over saturated and by capilery action some of the dark ink is getting into the yellow nozzels. The problem can be resolved by having the capping/cleaning unit replaced.
Peter

Ray

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 08:44:01 pm »

No you are not going mad.
I believe the capping/cleaning unit in your printer to be the problem.
What is happening is that when the head is capped the sponge in the capping unit that keeps the head moist is for some reason over saturated and by capilery action some of the dark ink is getting into the yellow nozzels. The problem can be resolved by having the capping/cleaning unit replaced.
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. The printer is out of warranty. I'm a long way from the nearest Epson service mechanic and it's a heavy beast to move. Do you think this problem is likely to go away with more frequent use of the printer? Now I've made the swap to matte black I'll probably use the printer more; paper cheaper.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:44:47 am »

You should also try to flush the capping station. This will possibly help the problem. I shouldn't make is worse.

Move the head to the center, with a flash light, look up inside the right side.  You will see a felt pad, that should be rainbow colored.  This is where the head is parked when not in use.  Before you do anything else, check the pad, make sure it's moist.  If it's not, then the pump that is supposed to pull ink back to the pad is not working, allowing it to dry out.  This is another problem and you can have Epson replace it.  Note, Epson uses regular ink to keep this pad moist.  There is a small pump that as you shut the printer off, will pull a small amount of ink back to the pad.  If the pump is broken (which is a common issue on the 7600/9600), your head will dry out.  To moisten the pad, use a eyedropper, or syringe with warm water.  Go ahead and flush the pad a few times, then use a lint free cloth, like a pecpad to wipe it off.  Then park the head.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:45:44 pm »

Thanks. The printer is out of warranty. I'm a long way from the nearest Epson service mechanic and it's a heavy beast to move. Do you think this problem is likely to go away with more frequent use of the printer? Now I've made the swap to matte black I'll probably use the printer more; paper cheaper.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ray,

You might want to look here: [a href=\"http://www.inkjetcolorsystems.com/Epson%207600_9600%20Reparing.htm]http://www.inkjetcolorsystems.com/Epson%20...%20Reparing.htm[/url]

Best Regards,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

Ray

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 09:23:07 pm »

Dear me! This looks like a major operation. After years of using standard Epson desktop printers ranging from A4 to A3+, the only maintenance ever required was a very occasional application WD-40 lubricant to the shiny chromium plated bar along which the print head slides.

What I still find puzzling about this problem with the 7600 is the fact that I don't suffer much from clogged print nozzles, despite the fact that the printer is used intermittently. It's rare that I have to go through more than one cleaning routine to get a perfect nozzle check pattern; perfect with the exception of the (light magenta?) contamination of the yellows.

Anyway, thanks for the help. It's now a matter of which is worse; the hassle of printing pure yellow bars to get rid of the green tinge; the hassle of attempting a self maintenance program, or the hassle of loading the printer into the wagon and taking it to an authorised Epson repair service.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:09:07 am »

Not sure where you are located, US or other, but in US, just call Epson if you decided to have the machine serviced.  They will have Decision One come out and do the work.  It's not any cheaper to haul the machine to an authorized service center as I believe they will also charge you the same rate.  In the US Decision One is the main authorized servicer.  They will charge $200.00 for the 1st hour which includes the cost of the call out and then 120.00 for each additional hour worked.  Not including parts.  

I realize that there is call out charge  but in my case, it's worth paying the 200.00 and not having to load the 7600 in a car and then hassle with moving it with live ink in the machine not to mention the weight and ungainliness of the printer to move around.

As far as I know in the US, Epson doesn't do any work on the wide formats under warranty or not.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ray

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 01:16:56 pm »

They will charge $200.00 for the 1st hour which includes the cost of the call out and then 120.00 for each additional hour worked.  Not including parts. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul,
I'm in Australia about an hour's drive from a city. Now that I understand what is happening, a bit of magenta getting into the yellow nozzles from a saturated capping sponge, I can probably live with the problem. I'll just add a yellow bar to the first print of each session. If the yellow bar is wide enough, say 15mm, I can see the change from pale green to yellow. By the time the print head reaches the image I'm printing, the yellow nozzles are clear of magenta and everything's okay.. until the next day.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, the arrangement of the ink cartridges do not have to correspond with the arrangement of the nozzles. Although the light magenta cartridge is next to the yellow cartidge, magenta and yellow do  not make green, so the contamination must be from over-saturation of cyan on the capping sponge. I suppose the question is, to what degree might the other colors be initially contaminated, but so far I've only noticed the yellow being affected.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:20:00 pm by Ray »

ed j

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:36:57 am »

I mentioned this problem a few years ago and not even Jonathan Wienke could solve it.

The yellows from my 7600 are often contaminated with cyan, resulting in distinctly green yellows. I do a nozzle check and there are no gaps. Everything seems to be okay, except the yellows show a subtle green tinge.

I've resorted to enlarging the canvas size of my images and placing a pure yellow bar acroos the top. As I closely watch the progression of the printing, if the yellow bar looks decidedly green, I abort the printing, then go through a nozzle clean and print out a pure yellow square, 5x7' on an A4 piece of plain paper.

If the square is green, I clean again. When I see a pure yellow, I make my print. Everything's fine and apperas to be a close match to monitor.

The following morning, I print the same image with yellow bar across the top and the same problem occurs. The yellow bar is pale green.

But there's something even more weird. When this problem first occurred, it was brought to my attention because the prints were decidedly lacking in yellow. There was a strong blue cast. I contacted the Epson maintenance guys and they guide me through a Power Cleaning routine, which fixed the problem.

Today, when I continued printing the whole print, despite the fact that the initial yellow bar was green, the final print looked instinguishable from a previous print with a saturated yellow bar, even though the scene is a landscape with a large yellow component.

What's going on? Anyone got an idea?

Edit: To clarify, I have two prints of a rural scene with lots of yellow. Both prints  are indistinguishably the same regarding color and tonality, yet the added yellow bar at the top of one print is clearly green but the bar on the other print is clearly yellow. Am I slowly going mad?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the logic brd on the print head is dying. getting incorrect voltage information.

been  my experience with epson printers owning over 5 of them
7000 bought it used for $100 bad head fixed it my self,  2 x 9800 1 used 1 new , used  bought refurbished it and sold , same thing7600, 10000. plus my newest one a 7800 new got it for $2280 after rebates

every print head that i ever replaced started out doing what u described. evently from doing a deep cleaning it will cause the problem to get worse. eventually when the power is on ink will just run out of the head. turn the power of and the ink stops running

print heads i beleive dont go bad its the logic board in the print head that goes bad
its mixing the inks incorrectly chips or what ever  are going bad .  

unfortently u cant just buy the board u have to buy both the head and board. it comes as a hole unit. the board can be removed thow from the head and another put on it, ie used epson print heads and parts. life of a print head or board is about 12,000 sq/ft of material from my own experience.

cost to repair. head $550, new dampers, $150 plus the techs labor 3 to 4 hrs
at $30 to $125 per hr.

or u can try to repair your self, its not difficult i did it  4  times. i had a epson tech that free lanced,  and he helped me out several times $30 per hr plus  food and drinks. he left the state 6 months ago. looking for a new one.

i'm thinking of throwing a ad on craigs  list for a independent epson tech

a lot of the techs work on other brands as well, roland, mutoh, hp,mimaki

if u decide to have a authorized epson repair firm repair your printer. herre's a easy way to find out if u are being over charged.

ask how much to replace the head , dampers and aligh it all. u all ready know what the parts  cost. then ask how long its gonna take to fix it, then ask them there labor rate.  now u do the math

also expect to go thru at least 1/2 to 1 full set of cartriges and a waste tank as part of the repair costs. also tell the tech to reset the counter on the pump. if he dosent and u dont know how to do it that will be another charge for him to come out again. a good tech will do it as one of the last things before he leaves.

ed

Ray

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:33:52 am »

the logic brd on the print head is dying. getting incorrect voltage information.

been  my experience with epson printers owning over 5 of them
7000 bought it used for $100 bad head fixed it my self,  2 x 9800 1 used 1 new , used  bought refurbished it and sold , same thing7600, 10000. plus my newest one a 7800 new got it for $2280 after rebates

every print head that i ever replaced started out doing what u described. evently from doing a deep cleaning it will cause the problem to get worse. eventually when the power is on ink will just run out of the head. turn the power of and the ink stops running

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,
That could be a bit of a worry if I was in business. So far, the problem seems manageable. The printer has been switched on but not used for the past 48 hours.

I've just produced a row of prints beginning with the usual yellow bar and everything printed fine, including the yellow bar. The printer did an automatic clean immediately before printing.

This printer, by the way, was bought new. I think I'm only on my fourth roll of paper, maybe 5.

Cheers!

ed j

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 11:27:14 pm »

Ed,
That could be a bit of a worry if I was in business. So far, the problem seems manageable. The printer has been switched on but not used for the past 48 hours.

I've just produced a row of prints beginning with the usual yellow bar and everything printed fine, including the yellow bar. The printer did an automatic clean immediately before printing.

This printer, by the way, was bought new. I think I'm only on my fourth roll of paper, maybe 5.

Cheers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

my printers are used every day. except sunday. not religious . its just we all need a day of rest. even my equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up