Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 frames too fast?  (Read 3767 times)

MikeMike

• http://
10 frames too fast?
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:07:34 am »

Just a thought on the Mark 3's auto-focus. Robgalbraith.com says that the 1d Mark2 handles fine but when comparing to the new body the new one is poor, so is it possible that the camera is not able to process the 10 exposures plus AF processes at the same time? I would be curious to see if the frame rate turned down to 8 frames like the mark 2n would improve the auto-focus due to having more processing time.

What do you think?

Khun_K

10 frames too fast?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:40:00 am »

Just a thought on the Mark 3's auto-focus. Robgalbraith.com says that the 1d Mark2 handles fine but when comparing to the new body the new one is poor, so is it possible that the camera is not able to process the 10 exposures plus AF processes at the same time? I would be curious to see if the frame rate turned down to 8 frames like the mark 2n would improve the auto-focus due to having more processing time.

What do you think?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The 1D MK3 housed 2 Digit III processor inside the body so even at 10 fps it will perform better than previous 1D series which has only 1 previous generation processor.
The AF issue from what I heard or personal used, is not an universal issue, but it did happen to some portion of the camera in the market. I think it is more or less the calbration of the camera and its firmware issue. 1D MK3 body is indeed a good improvement over the last one, stiff still, and noticeable lighter. The only thing I will complain is that it was not supported by C1 Pro yet. And the wireless transmitter is too expensive.

macgyver

10 frames too fast?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:42:23 pm »

The AF problem remains even when not shot at 10fps.

X-Re

10 frames too fast?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »

I see what you're getting at Mike, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The mirror blackout time at 10fps does make it a little bit more challenging to stay "on target" with the focus point, but its not bad. And, we're definitely not overwhelming the camera's data pipeline at that speed - the camera just grins and says "give me more!"....
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

MikeMike

10 frames too fast?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:56:44 pm »

I sent an email Robgalbraith.com and got this reply:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael, and for taking the time to write. We actually tested the EOS-1D Mark III extensively at 8 fps and 3 fps to see if a slower frame rate would help. It doesn't, unfortunately, the vast majority of frames are still out of focus when the conditions are bright and warm.

-Rob Galbraith

So i guess that answers my question  

But what found interesting is that as far as my expirience goes its the direct sunlight that the AF on my 20D/Mark2n works the best! stange no?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:57:01 pm by MikeMike »

jani

• Øyet
10 frames too fast?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:09:45 am »

The 1D MK3 housed 2 Digit III processor inside the body so even at 10 fps it will perform better than previous 1D series which has only 1 previous generation processor.
I'm sorry, this is misinformation.

The 1D Mk II and 1Ds Mk II both have dual DIGIC II processors.

It's the EOS 20D/30D/5D that have single DIGIC II processors.
Jan

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
10 frames too fast?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:45:48 pm »

I just finished a week's catalog shoot using the Mark III for a good part of it. (1Ds2 and IIn used as well.) I do a lot of movement shots when I shoot, and I loved the extra speed in FPS. I didn't notice any marked difference in in/out of focus shots with the Mark III compared to the other bodies. However, perhaps this is because of my shooting style and how I use the autofocus.

I've found that all the cameras, at times, have difficulty obtaining focus in there's not a lot of contrast, light level is low-ish and I'm using all 45-focus points. Since 96% of my shooting is done with the camera in portrait orientation, I usually use on the top sensors and try to maintain the point on the model's face. Additionally, I never just "let 'er rip". I end up shooting quick bursts of 2-3 frames at a time. As such, I find the IIn no better, and sometimes worse, than the Mark III. The added FPS rate of the Mark III makes shooting action a breeze.

So my thought is, 10 FPS isn't too much for the camera, at least when using quality optics with updated USM motor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up