Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Safari Equipment, reflection  (Read 3184 times)

dickgillberg

Digital Safari Equipment, reflection
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:58:10 pm »

Hi
I just read the good article about "Digital Safari Equipment", I loved it but I can't help think of how easy it was when I were in south africa in 1999 to shoot wildlife. Cameras, lenses and film. That was all, and we say now how easy and better it is with the digital era. Just think of it.....

Best/ Dick

dilip

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:02:09 am »

Hi
I just read the good article about "Digital Safari Equipment", I loved it but I can't help think of how easy it was when I were in south africa in 1999 to shoot wildlife. Cameras, lenses and film. That was all, and we say now how easy and better it is with the digital era. Just think of it.....

Best/ Dick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In 2003 I backpacked around India with film, a camera and a (single) lens.  I've learned a lot in the past few years due largely to a lot of reading, and the ease of practice that digital affords.

Back then it was just a single small bag.  Now there's so much more.

The safari article was great.  On thing that I have to suggest is that in addition to an electrical adapter, you get a splitter to allow you to charge all your toys at the same time.  Usually I do this by getting everything charging, putting it all into a bag, slipping the bag into a pacsafe and locking it to the bed.  I can then go get a drink with at least a slight bit of peace of mind.

--dilip

daveman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:44:47 am »

I've seen those pacsafes for sale. They don't seem as secure as I would like them to be, but I guess they would be OK for the grab-and-dash kind of theft. Wouldn't simple tinsnips make short work of those wires?

When I have gone on photo trips in the past, my camera equipment never leaves my side. In a way I sacrifice my holiday for obsessive control. Friends chuckle about the voluntary ball and chain.

Dave

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:51:24 am »

One thing that I have to suggest is that in addition to an electrical adapter, you get a splitter to allow you to charge all your toys at the same time. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another useful thing is a charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter. Many safari vehicles have 2 or more lighter sockets in the back.

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 05:53:06 am »

if one wants to you can turn any trip, to any destination, into a "gear-fest". it all comes down to priorities. an african safari can be done perfectly well with one body, two lenses, a handful of memory cards and a battery charger . . . little different to 30 years ago. just because there is more photography "stuff" out there doesn't mean you have to take it with you . . .  
Regards, HILTON

Bobtrips

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 08:57:08 am »

I've seen those pacsafes for sale. They don't seem as secure as I would like them to be, but I guess they would be OK for the grab-and-dash kind of theft. Wouldn't simple tinsnips make short work of those wires?

Actually the PacSafes are quite secure.  I think one would have quite a job of cutting into one with tin snips.  It would take cable cutters.  (Cable is difficult, verging on impossible, to cut with chain/bolt cutters or a hack saw.)

I use the PacSafe day pack to secure my camera gear and laptop.  They also make a duffel bag version.  

(The 'chicken wire' thing that goes over a regular backpack - don't go there.)

---

As for gear size/weight.  I'm carrying a lot less now with dSLR, lenses, and PHD than I did with fSLR, lenses, and dozens of rolls of film.

My battery charger is about the size of two rolls of film.  My PHD, about the size of four rolls of film.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:00:00 am by Bobtrips »

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:07:19 pm »

Hi

Best/ Dick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its all very simple.  Take a wheelbarrow too!  

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 03:13:02 pm »

Thats right, the wheelbarrow can be used to carry all the 10's of thousands of dollars required for all the equipement mentioned in that safari article. I guess if you are an ex CTO at microsoft that isn't a concern, but I found the article laughable for its excess of equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up