Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not another "What Should I Buy" topic...  (Read 3804 times)

T_om

Not another "What Should I Buy" topic...
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:42:54 pm »

There are plenty of those.  I would like the pros here to give me some feedback on this plan.

I am a wedding photographer and wanting to start bringing some printing for album spreads in-house.  I am going with an Epson R2400 for the following reasons:

1. Roll paper.  13" will actually hit a sweet spot as I usually print 10x20 and 12x18 for these layouts.  I *may* start offering 12x24, but maybe not... even so, the 2400 would handle that too.

2. Reliable CIS systems available.  This printer has been out quite a while and several of these systems are pretty well proven with it.

3.  Small footprint.  This has to sit in my office and there is not a lot of room.

Here was my reasoning.  A larger printer would not do me much good.  The next size up is 17" and 17" roll paper is sort of a bastard size as far as printing the above album spreads go... too narrow to get a spread printed across the width, lots of wasted paper printing with the length.

The newer 3800 is a nice printer, but has two drawbacks:  No CIS exists for it yet (that I know of) and it won't take roll paper.... and I don't need the 17" width.  Wait, that's three drawbacks.

Most of you guys do more printing in a a week than I do in a year, so I would appreciate some feedback on the above plan.  

Am I totally whacked here?

Tom

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:36 pm »

Tom, just because a printer has a 17" or 24" or 44" paper path it doesn't mean that you have to feed it a roll that size.  You can feed a 13" roll into larger printers just fine.
Regards,
Ron

T_om

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:49 am »

Tom, just because a printer has a 17" or 24" or 44" paper path it doesn't mean that you have to feed it a roll that size.  You can feed a 13" roll into larger printers just fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ron, thanks for responding.

What I meant by the 13" vs. 17" line of reasoning is outlined in #3 above.  I have no space for a huge printer (I could manage, say, a 4800 or below).  Further, why buy capacity I do not need?  An extreme example of what I am thinking is why go to the expense of buying a 60" printer to print on 13" rolls?  Over-the-top example, I know.

I also wanted to add, I have the PrintFIX Pro colorimeter and was surprised at how accurately it profiled papers for my Canon S9000 dye-based printer.  I would, of course, be using it along with the printer I ultimately buy too, if that makes any difference.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:04:36 am by T_om »

Avalan

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:25:10 am »

Hello tom

Seems that a 13" printer will do the job for you.

You may find the info in the following link useful :

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html

Good luck

T_om

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:08:06 pm »

Hello tom

Seems that a 13" printer will do the job for you.

You may find the info in the following link useful :

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html

Good luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have read that link end to end several times earlier during this process.  It is a good and thorough review.  The Epson held up well in the tests compared to the newer printers.  The reviewer seems to think a new Epson in in the immediate future and that the 2400 is a bit long in the tooth.  Can't argue about that, but "perfection" is the enemy of "good enough".  I need good sellable prints at medium sizes (you guys would probably consider them tiny  )

The other problem with the HP and Canon is that they appear to limit you to OEM inks only and do not come with roll feeds.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:19:32 pm »

The other problem with the HP and Canon is that they appear to limit you to OEM inks only and do not come with roll feeds.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tom,

I've had a CIS on an epson 1200 and 1280.

They have not been trouble free though. The Ink Republic system I have on the 1280 has been the most reliable (i.e.. not clogging), but I've had repeated head failures on this printer where one ink color will print in the wrong location. Replacing the heads fix the problem, but it's expensive! I believe, but cannot prove that this is due to the CIS and ink pressure issues.

I use this system to make inexpensive prints (not for sale and such) and it's saved a bit of money on routine (non photo) printing as well.

That said, 3rd party inks will not print with accurate colors without custom profiles which is something also to consider.

I just bought an Epson 3800 printer and find that it makes  outstanding prints with accurate color with the provided profiles. I suspect that a 2400 will perform the same, but that the ink costs will be higher due to the tiny carts.

I guess my point is that you might want to reconsider the  CIS/3rd party ink strategy as a gamble on printer longevity, fussing with messy inks/air in the CIS, and possibly sub par color compared the Epson brand inks (the print driver has been optimized for the Epson inks). I would also add the the 3800, while costing more than the 2400, comes with enough ink in it's carts to make up for the difference in price. In return, you'll get more robust printer, albeit with no roll paper feeder...

Best of luck with your decision, and printmaking.

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

ed j

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:22:54 pm »

There are plenty of those.  I would like the pros here to give me some feedback on this plan.

I am a wedding photographer and wanting to start bringing some printing for album spreads in-house.  I am going with an Epson R2400 for the following reasons:

1. Roll paper.  13" will actually hit a sweet spot as I usually print 10x20 and 12x18 for these layouts.  I *may* start offering 12x24, but maybe not... even so, the 2400 would handle that too.

2. Reliable CIS systems available.  This printer has been out quite a while and several of these systems are pretty well proven with it.

3.  Small footprint.  This has to sit in my office and there is not a lot of room.

Here was my reasoning.  A larger printer would not do me much good.  The next size up is 17" and 17" roll paper is sort of a bastard size as far as printing the above album spreads go... too narrow to get a spread printed across the width, lots of wasted paper printing with the length.

The newer 3800 is a nice printer, but has two drawbacks:  No CIS exists for it yet (that I know of) and it won't take roll paper.... and I don't need the 17" width.  Wait, that's three drawbacks. :)

Most of you guys do more printing in a a week than I do in a year, so I would appreciate some feedback on the above plan. 

Am I totally whacked here?

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

take a look at the r1800 i use it for small pic. has the clear cartrige . very nice feature.

Ed

T_om

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:44:35 pm »

Tom,

I've had a CIS on an epson 1200 and 1280.

They have not been trouble free though. The Ink Republic system I have on the 1280 has been the most reliable

Bruce,

I hear ya there about CIS.  I have some experience with the things myself and I know they are fiddly at times.

I HAVE heard good things about the IR system (as confirmed by you too it appears) and that was the one I intended to go with.  The eFillink system looks very nice too and has an ink level warning system.  It too has had some good press.

Here is the rub.  I could not possibly use the 2400 with cartridges.  No way.  The tiny little things will not support even the limited printing I intend.  An aside about ink: I would probably use OEM inks but buy the 220ml 'big boy' carts and drain them into the CIS unit.  Still thinking about that one.

To do the page spreads for a 40 page 12x12 album, it would require 40 FEET of paper go through the printer while printing to a full 12" width.  I envision setting the printer going overnight and coming in the next morning with a nice 40 foot long piece of paper on the floor.    

The tiny little OEM carts ain't gonna cut that.  BTW, I know I will probably have to either get a RIP or banner print software solution to do prints to that length, but I am still gathering data.  Some of the AutoCAD drivers may solve that problem but I digress.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:46:12 pm by T_om »

T_om

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:48:27 pm »

take a look at the r1800 i use it for small pic. has the clear cartrige . very nice feature.

Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,

I was not aware the 1800 came with a roll feed.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up