Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod opinions sought from tall people  (Read 6274 times)

Raycj

• http://
Tripod opinions sought from tall people
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »

I stand at about 6'5" and would like to know what other tall people use and recommend for a tripod. The idea of bending over for all shots does not appeal to me.

Thanks

Ray

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:59:00 pm by Raycj »

ternst

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:17:24 pm »

I use and love a Dutch Hill 900T - it will easily reach your height, only one locking lever per leg, and you don't have to bend down to work it. It is quite a bit cheaper than a gitzo - I'm using it with a heavy medium format digital system and it is quite stable as well...

tim ernst in arkansas

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:03:21 pm »

If you're interested in a Gitzo, this chart might prove helpful in parsing through their bewildering model designations.  For a reference point, I'm 6'2" and find the height of the 1325 very comfortable.  You'd probably want to go with a 3540XLS in the new line; you'd only extend the fourth sections slightly.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:11:52 am »

As Nill above, I would go for the new Gitzo 3540XLS. I'm using an "old" Gitzo 1348 and it's more than tall enough for me (I'm 6'4"). You might also want to look into an angle finder (here), it's the best accessory if you're stuck with a - too - short tripod.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:13:21 am by francois »
Francois

Marco Ugolini

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:59:28 pm »

Ray,

I am 6' 7" myself. I am no longer a working photographer, but I still have my tripod from those days.

It's a Tiltall, manufactured by Leitz. I chose it carefully among others because it had unique qualities perfectly suited to my height. When all three legs are fully extended and the center shaft is all the way up as far as it goes, the base for the camera sits at 72 inches from the ground. That is as high as the bottom of my nose when I'm standing without my shoes on. Once my Olympus OM1 was mounted, my right eye (the one I use to view and focus) was *exactly* in front of the viewfinder (about 74 inches from the ground).

When I got my Tiltall in the early 1980s, I remember being struck by the fact that it was good and yet not at all expensive, though it was made by Leitz, which would normally mean "expensive".

I strongly doubt that the Tiltall is still in production, but you could look for it in the used market or on eBay. (This URL could be a good starting point: <http://tinyurl.com/2b8v24>)

Good luck.

Marco
Marco Ugolini

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:15:52 pm »

I've been extremely happy with my Gitzo GT3540XLS with Arca Swiss ball head. I'm short, 5'5', but I do require a tall tripod for shooting architecture and studio stuff. I use a step ladder to see into the camera.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:18:44 pm by BobDavid »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:34:05 pm »

I stand at about 6'5" and would like to know what other tall people use and recommend for a tripod. The idea of bending over for all shots does not appeal to me.

Thanks

Ray

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm about 6'2"; I use a Velbon "neocarmagne" 830, which is Hakuba's carbon fiber tripod. It's extremely solid and has survived a good 5 years of abuse so far without complaint. I did crack one lower leg section falling on some wet rocks in a narrow gully; Hakuba sent me the leg section for a nominal fee, and it was so simple to replace that even I could do it. The collar locks are large enough and smooth enough to easily operate with heavy gloves on. With legs extended the platform is well above my head, meaning there's enough reserve height that I can shoot looking downhill on a steep slope and still have the camera at eye level. The legs also spread out almost flat, making it usable for ground level macro shots. There is a geared aluminum center column if you need even more height, but I shortened it with a hacksaw to permit shooting closer to the ground. I'd buy it again if it got run over by a bus.

Raycj

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 10:45:01 pm »

Thank you all for your input, it is very appreciated.

Ray

PixelPeeper

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 03:19:41 am »

I'm only 5'8", but I can tell you that the "regular" height Gitzos will be too short for you.  If you want a 3xxx series set of legs, you'll want the "long" versions of either the 3530 or the 3540.  One suggestion to you, however, is to purchase from a large retailer in case you need to exchange it.  I bought my legs from RRS and had a problem with it, but they wouldn't let me exchange it, so since you're going to be dropping about $600, make sure you can change it in case you don't like it or there is something wrong with it.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 12:31:14 pm »

Ray – So you think you’re tall – I’m 6”-9” and my wife is just a shade over 6’.  

One of my concerns is that due to my height I might give a too tall image – sort of aerial if you know what I mean.  We shoot mainly landscape and nature images.   While I don’t like bending over I’m also not opposed to sitting down!  A lot of times I’ll lower the tripod closer to the ground then sit down and take the image.  

One of the best investments that I could ever of gotten was an angle viewer for the camera.  I have one for our Canons and another for the Mamiya.  They work great!  

The other thing I did was look for a good tripod.  I wanted one that would be light weight but sturdy enough to handle a medium format body with a long lens or my 1Ds II with long lens.  The height was only a minor concern vs. the weight and construction.  As mentioned, I shoot landscape and nature and walking takes up a lot of time in getting to a place that I want to get to.  This walking can be in deep sand, over rocks, thru slot canyons, etc and I didn’t want the weight of the gear to get to the point that I didn’t want to go that extra mile.

I was in Tempe Camera in Tempe AZ about 2 years ago and fell in love with my current tripod, a Gitzo G1258 Carbon 6X.  I found this behind the counter under glass and had to ask to see it.  As soon as it was in my hands I knew it was mine.  Then I looked at the price tag!  I still walked out the store with it and am still in love with it today.

My wife, Sandy uses a Manfrotto 190V that has a Kirk ball head on it that adds height to it as well.  I switch between using a RRS panning head and an Arcatech ballhead.

If you don’t have one get an angle viewer first then go shopping for the tripod.  By the way the latest LL video showed a very very tall tripod – so tall that the person had to actually stand on two crates to take the shot – I don’t think he’s that short.

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:34:42 pm »

I have the same issue at 6' 4".  Regular model Gitzos are too short, and for the price I'm not going to buy something that does not fit.  

I bought a Induro 3 section carbon figer tripod and a Manfrottto pistol grip type of ball head. I think the Induro is model 3413 or smethingg that sounds similar and the Mafrotto ball head is 3223, or something that sounds like that.  Sorry for the imprecision.

With all 3 legs extended plus the ball head plus the mounting plate, plus the camera body the eyepiece of the viewfinder is 100% at my natural standing eye height. That sounds good, and I think it is, but other people cannot look through my viewfinder even on tippy toes, and have to bend their neck some to see my LCD display.  

The Induro is a close copy of the Gitzo but comes with all of the accessories and sells for less. Do NOT buy the Induro ball head, get a major brand.  The tripod is fine.

Once you have  a tripod you may experiment with night photos etc. Prime lenses have worked the best for me at night. Its a big diffference in actual real world practice. I cannot say for sure why.

I keep the tripod in the trunk of my car and never have to worry about leaving it home. Its not too heavy to carry around on trails, along a beach, up a flight of stairs etc with camera and camera bag as well.

Enjoy your shooting and stay loose!

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 01:20:19 am »

What about the Manfrotto 755 MDeVe Carbon? It has also a levelling base in the center coloumn.
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3312

Mike W

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 04:16:12 am »

I'm 6"9' and I use a Manfrotto...not sure about the exact model, since I've lent it to a friend at the moment...the Manfrotto site has a guide for their tripod line-up....it shows the maximum height for the tripods.

Happy shopping!

Deep

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 04:23:03 am »

I'm a relative shorty, under 6'2"!  I have a Manfrotto 058 with a Monoball head.  It extends, way, way higher than me, easily enough for any of you taller folk.  The main lock for the legs is right at the top, which would also suit you, though you do get the extra height by extra extensions at the bottom of the legs (which could be left down on location).  A heavy beast, true, but oh-so stable too.

Don.
Don

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 08:39:29 am »

Not sure what your budget is, but the Gitzo 3540XLS has been working great for me (5'19"   ).   I only extend the 4th section a few inches most of the time.  The Gitzo 1348 would also be a good option - there may be more on the used market now with the 6X series out.
Mark
http:

rednas

• http://www.jaevo.nl
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 05:20:45 am »

I'm 6'5" as well and use a Manfrotto 144B with 141rc head, I love it! In the upright position I can mount my camera/lense, point it to the sky (for hoovering helicopters or something) and I won't have to bent over, it's that high.
Canon all the way!
1D, 300D, 24-70[span
Pages: [1]   Go Up