Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf5000  (Read 2133 times)

w.f.van.oosten@wanadoo.fr

• http://www.fotoosten.com
Canon ipf5000
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:36:08 am »

I bought a Canon IPF5000 printer, I am very happy with the results.
I now printed about 30 meters of 17" paper and now I have to replace 1 inkcassette!!! So it uses a lot of ink!
When I include the quantity used from the other colors my conclusion is that it is a very costly machine per print.
I am interested in experiences from other consumers.
Willem

tigerbait1953

Canon ipf5000
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:48:31 am »

I bought a Canon IPF5000 printer, I am very happy with the results.
I now printed about 30 meters of 17" paper and now I have to replace 1 inkcassette!!! So it uses a lot of ink!
When I include the quantity used from the other colors my conclusion is that it is a very costly machine per print.
I am interested in experiences from other consumers.
Willem
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just recently bought one too and there are lots of things you will discover.  The starter tanks contain only 90ml of ink vs. 130 ml as stated on the package size.  That may be why you think consumption is high vs. reality.  There have been reports of the printer reporting low ink or out of ink in error.  Take the tank out and put it back in, the message may clear and you can continue to print many more pages.  My magenta tank actually showed that it was missing altogether when I powered up one morning, I took it out and put it back in and it has worked flawlessly since.  
In reality ink consumption is rather low in my experience.  You can look at the amount of ink used per job in the utilities details list of the Garo Status monitor.  Almost all the jobs I have run use less than a ml of ink. 8x10's sometimes use only a few 10th's of a ml and some jobs register less than 1/10, so they show no ink usage at all (impossible, but the granularity of reporting is only at the 1/10th level).  At that average rate of even 1 ml per job I should be able to run over 1000 jobs even on the starter tanks. 12X90  ml. = 1090 ml and with the regular ones at 130X12 =1560.  99% of my work is color, so the ink usage is spread across all tanks, but heavy or exclusive B&W work may give more skewed results and obviously heavier usage to those few tanks of gray and black ink.  This URL has many answers to other questions you might have. [a href=\"http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/]http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/[/url]
Also be sure that your firmware is current at release 1.25.  According to reports the printer uses significantly less ink in the cleaning cycles that it does.

tomm101

Canon ipf5000
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:43:04 am »

After you prime the printer you have somewhere around 60cc left in the ink tank, less than half of the full 130ml cartridge. So figure ink usage on this. I'm looking at this printer as being fairly economical as IJ printers go. I'm starting to replace all the carts now, quite a hit $ wise but no worse than any other LF printer. Wish the Garo didn't just give ink level data in 20 percentiles, though the last 20 percent is going slowly. Really should be using this printer more.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up