Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an update for the Mamiya 645AFD?  (Read 13855 times)

sjprg

Is there an update for the Mamiya 645AFD?
« on: July 22, 2007, 01:22:19 pm »

A local dealer told me I should send in my 645 for updates. ??? Who knows anything about this. I don't see anything on Mamiys web page about updates.
Thanks
Paul

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:01:57 pm »

The AFD II had one update late '06 or very early '07 for "improved" communication with Leaf digital backs.  It sounds like there ~may~ be another update for use with the new 28mm lens and 70-150 zoom.  The MAC office in NY did the update for me and it was free.  Quick turn around too - 1 day.

Bernd B.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:05:22 pm »

A local dealer told me I should send in my 645 for updates. ??? Who knows anything about this. I don't see anything on Mamiys web page about updates.
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had a phone conversation with Mamiya in Munich today. I wanted to know, whether you can use the ZD back on an AFD (yes you can, you don`t need an AFDII). They told me, an AFD ("AFD one") can not be updated. This can only become a problem with the new zoom lens 75-150. There might be aperture failures with an AFD and the new zoom (although it`s not sure you get these problems). He didn´t mention the new 28mm, so there seem to be no problems with the AFD and the 28mm.

As far as I understood only the AFDII can be updated.

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

I was told by the rep I spoke to at Calumet last week that there was an update that Mamiya would do for free on the 645 AFD if you bought a ZD back. T-minus 2 weeks and counting - we should know soon.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

SLane

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:11:07 pm »

FWIW, the B&H site indicates the upgrade is for the 645 AF, to bring it up to an AFD.  I am considering finding a cheap 645 AF to send in for the free upgrade, to use as a back-up.

Stuart

SLane

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 08:50:21 pm »

I called my local store today(Photomark in Phoenix), and I asked the sales rep if she was familiar with the ZD back.  Turns out the Mamiya rep was there, and had just handed her a ZD back.  The Mamiya rep confirmed the free upgrade is for the 645 AF, and turns it into a 645 AFD.  The Mamiya rep stated that a AFD cannot be upgraded to an AFD II.  

Time frame (according to Mamiya rep as of 07-24-07) is supposedly 1 to 3 weeks away.    Photomark is staying with the MSRP of $6,999 USD, plus tax, no shipping, decent support.  SAMYS is saying (but not promising) $6,750 USD, plus shipping, no tax, no real support, "iffy" on delivery time, but claims 4 to 6 weeks, has no idea or information about RZ67 II D adapter plate or the AF to AFD upgrade, suggested I check the USA Mamiya web site (no thanks, what a confusing, generally useless site).

The Mamiya rep said that the adapter plate for the RB67 II D is in stock, and available right now, for about $670 USD.

One ZD back has my name on it, and I will buy it locally.  Let's hope Mamiya can really deliver on time.

The Mamiya rep had no information about the 645 AFD having any problems with the new lenses, and I didn't ask about 645 AFD II upgrades, as I don't have one.

Stuart
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:54:36 pm by SLane »

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:25:21 pm »

Stuart, I am surprised that the Mamiya rep said the 645 AF to AFD upgrade was "no charge".  This upgrade has been available for some time but at a cost of several hundred dollars (around $600 if I remember correctly).
Jack Varney

SLane

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:02:41 am »

Hmm, well, perhaps I didn't understand correctly, but I think it is a "free" upgrade if you buy the ZD back, at $7K a free upgrade shouldn't hurt Mamiya too much.  I won't really know the specific details until I go to the store and pin them down on it, maybe on Friday.  I will post what I find out, if, or not, the upgrade is really free.  If it is free, I plan on picking up an AF, get the "free" upgrade, sell my current AFD, buy a RZ67 II D with adapter plate, and keep the "upgraded" AF(D) for the few times I want auto-focus (and as a back-up), and sell my DCS pro-back 645M.  I can't really afford to keep it and the ZD back, besides it only fits the 645 AFD cameras.  Maybe in a year or two, I can pick up an ALPA to go with the ZD back.

Stuart

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:15 pm »

Ah, if Mamiya will upgrade the AF with the purchase of the ZD Back that would be a good deal. There are lots of AF cameras on ebay now. Might be good to get one soon before the market finds out about the free upgrade.
Jack Varney

Bernd B.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:00:28 am »

I just got back an email from Mamiya in Munich. Unfortunately the "free upgrade" offer is not available in Germany.

They say "it make no sense", as it is only an upgrade from AF to AFD, whilst full funktionality is only available with the AFDII.

My dealer wrote me yesterday these upgrades (which could be done for EUR 600,- plus tax for a while) often caused problems with the shutter which lead to repairs afterwards. Thats why Mamiya stopped the (payable) upgrade offer.

The price for the ZD back in Germany is arround 7.600 EUR plus 19% tax (EUR 9.000 total).

Much more expensive than in the US.

paulhu

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:30:03 am »

I just spoke with Rita in MAC service department, and she told me that there is FREE firmware upgrade for 645 AFD II to use with the ZD back.  She told me that 645 AFD II is the ONLY one that needs firmware upgrade to use with the ZD back.  I also asked her that if I do not upgrade, what kind of problems would I encounter.  She did not elaborate, just saying that problems will crop up every now and then.  Unfortunately, we did not get into any discussion on AF or AFD upgrade at all.

SLane

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 04:14:33 pm »

Today I confirmed (in person) with my local store that a 645AF can get a FREE upgrade to a 645AFD.

Based on previous posts, it seems that there is also a FREE firmware upgrade for the 645AFD II.

So, apparently there are two free upgrades, one for the AF, and one for the AFD II.

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 04:16:53 pm »

BTW how can you check the firmware on a 645AFDII

SLane

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 09:18:27 pm »

Got a call from my local rep today, my ZD back is in.  I pick it up tomorrow morning, but can't do much with it until Friday or saturday.  My used AF back arrived today, and I will see if I can send it in for the free upgrade when I pick up the Zd back.

David, I will ask about checking the firmware on the AFD II tomorrow.

Stuart

david o

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 09:25:42 pm »

thank you Stuart, enjoy your new back...

SLane

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 05:49:53 pm »

I picked up the ZD back.  The AF was sent to Mamiya as a "no charge"repair, with a 7 to 10 day turn around.  It should come back as an AFD.  

Here is what was "in the box" when I opened it:  

ZD back (of course), comes with the IR cut filter (YB401) and a filter holder.
a soft case for the back (KD403).
One LI Battery (PB401).
Battery Charger with power cord (PC401).
Focusing Screen type A (SV403).
Tweezers for focusing screen (I have needed one of these for awhile).
Mamiya Digital PhotoStudio Software (BS301).
Various and sundry manuals and paperwork.

Also comes with LR (in it's own box).

Does not come with extra batteries, the AC power supply, Firewire cable or the low pass (AA) filter.  Those items are optional, and at additional cost.  I  think that the AC power supply should be included, but I guess Mamiya needed to save every yen to reach the price point.

I also ordered the RZ67 II adapter plate.

I asked about the AFD II firmware update and about checking the firmware version in an AFD II.  They really didn't know about the firmware update, and didn't think the camera could be "checked", but rather had only one possible (current) firmware version.  They will find out more information, if possible.

it is just to darn hot to go outside and test the back, when it drops below 100 degrees f. this evening, I will venture outside.  

Stuart

david o

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 06:25:10 pm »

thanks stuart for the info.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 06:58:44 pm »

Hi
The battery for the ZD camera is BA 701 which is a JVC-BPL13A or Energizer ER C601. It seems to be a different battery model. Nice to see they included a new screeen.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 07:13:44 pm »

Hi
Here is some updates from Mamiya Japan
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

SLane

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 10:31:50 pm »

I got my upgraded 645 AF from Mamiya on Friday.  It is the same camera body I sent in, but has the features of an AFd, does not say AFd on the body anywhere.  Works fine with the ZD back.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up