Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35  (Read 13978 times)

Barry Goyette

HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 05:07:50 pm »

Thank you,

I believe i will go with the 35, 50-110 and the 210. sounds like a good mix. a bit wide, and bit long, and a good zoom for the middle. about the only issue left is DoF concerns with these lenses.

The real problem is the nearest dealer is 400 miles away from me. so i cant easily try these things out. that would be the best way to play this game naturally.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter...once you get to handle the 50-110...you may rethinking that choice. Think 120mm artillery shell except heavier. (I really thought the guy at BH was joking when he handed it to me like it was a sack of cement).  I own the 35, 50, 80, 120macro. All are great lenses...I think the 50 is a perfect length for most landscape work, 35 if you like the ultra wide look.

hubell

HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 07:09:40 pm »

Hasselblad's marketing is misleading. I did a double take myself when I read it. The whole thing starts when they "define" the 36x48 as full frame. Sure it's fine that they are putting things in a digital perspective and not comparing the sensor size with that of film in a MF camera....but by eliminating the 1.1 crop factor from the numbers listed in the marketing, they are misleading people. The 28mm is just a 28mm...not, somehow a special (and truly magic) 28mm for the 36x48 frame. It may be true that the image circle is smaller and wouldn't cover a full frame of film. But the angle of view is essentially the same as any other MF 28mm would  provide on the "Full-frame 36x48" sensor-- approx the same as a 31mm would on film.

A 28mm lens designed for a 645 system should have an angle of view of appox 102 degrees. The Hasselblad has an angle of view of 95. Mamiya list's their 28 as having 102 for film/ 94 for the zd.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Hassy 28mm lens is a 28mm lens, just like any other 28mm lens in terms of its angle of view. It has the same angle of view as a 20mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The Hasselblad H3D "Full Frame" feature simply means that the viewfinder with the H3D is a special viewfinder that fully magnifies the image so that WYSIWYG through the viewfinder. No cropping with lines or masks or whatever to indicate the limited area of the viewfinder that the sensor will capture. Very nice feature, but many feel Hassy is misleading in using the term "Full Frame" which photographers generally would understand to mean a MFDB with a zero crop factor.

PeterDendrinos

HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 08:27:53 pm »

ok, i'll bite.

other than weight, and the posts about the front optic falling off the 50-110, would any of you say the zoom is a solid image maker?

I am a tripod shooter for almost all my shooting. i am also accustom to lugging lots of weight around with the canon glass and the 1dsmk2.

The only real issue for me is image quality. I'll go convenient if i can, but dont want to sacrifice the quality. I was under the impression the zoom was rock solid quality from an optics standpoint.

P

Peter...once you get to handle the 50-110...you may rethinking that choice. Think 120mm artillery shell except heavier. (I really thought the guy at BH was joking when he handed it to me like it was a sack of cement).  I own the 35, 50, 80, 120macro. All are great lenses...I think the 50 is a perfect length for most landscape work, 35 if you like the ultra wide look.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David WM

• http://
HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 08:38:39 pm »

Yes thats right, there has been a lot of talk about full frame, but surely full frame terminology has to relate to the relationship between the viewfinder and whatever you have behind it, film or digital. Lens focal lengths don't change. In the age of film we got used to using standard formats and we could relate to the same focal lengths on different formats. There are more options now, the FOV terminology should make it easier, but that info won't get etched onto lenses like focal lengths are.

David

The Hassy 28mm lens is a 28mm lens, just like any other 28mm lens in terms of its angle of view. It has the same angle of view as a 20mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The Hasselblad H3D "Full Frame" feature simply means that the viewfinder with the H3D is a special viewfinder that fully magnifies the image so that WYSIWYG through the viewfinder. No cropping with lines or masks or whatever to indicate the limited area of the viewfinder that the sensor will capture. Very nice feature, but many feel Hassy is misleading in using the term "Full Frame" which photographers generally would understand to mean a MFDB with a zero crop factor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hubell

HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 10:34:16 pm »

ok, i'll bite.

other than weight, and the posts about the front optic falling off the 50-110, would any of you say the zoom is a solid image maker?

I am a tripod shooter for almost all my shooting. i am also accustom to lugging lots of weight around with the canon glass and the 1dsmk2.

The only real issue for me is image quality. I'll go convenient if i can, but dont want to sacrifice the quality. I was under the impression the zoom was rock solid quality from an optics standpoint.

P
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is an exceptional optic, which has been reported by some who have done direct comparisons, to be every bit as good as the fixed focal length lenses in the range. I believe that the Managing Megabytes shoot-out and the forum commentary thereon addressed this issue. Try a search here.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 03:14:24 am »

ok, i'll bite.

P
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter,

They are all superb quality. All of these H lenses are a lot heavier than the Canon L lenses (except the super teles and perhaps the 85mm f1.2). I was worried about the 50-110mm issues but have not had any. I love my 35mm (I only do landscape)--great lens. But I'd have to say I equally love my 300mm too. Obviously each has its purpose.

You may want to add the 1.7x extender to your kit, the image quality with the 210 + 1.7x is very good or you can purchase the 300mm. It's quite an investment but well worth it--I moved from Canon to Hasselblad in 10/2005 and have not touched my L lenses and Canon gear since--it just comes along for the ride.

Looking forward to seeing your photos with the H!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:19:21 am by jecxz »

Khun_K

• http://
HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 11:03:56 am »

Peter,

They are all superb quality. All of these H lenses are a lot heavier than the Canon L lenses (except the super teles and perhaps the 85mm f1.2). I was worried about the 50-110mm issues but have not had any. I love my 35mm (I only do landscape)--great lens. But I'd have to say I equally love my 300mm too. Obviously each has its purpose.

You may want to add the 1.7x extender to your kit, the image quality with the 210 + 1.7x is very good or you can purchase the 300mm. It's quite an investment but well worth it--I moved from Canon to Hasselblad in 10/2005 and have not touched my L lenses and Canon gear since--it just comes along for the ride.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The HC 50-110, except it is rather heavy (which all H lenses are heavy in its class, except the HCD 28) and the sharpness of 50-110 is very good, comparable to HC 80/2.8, HC 100/2.2 and HC 120/4.

PeterDendrinos

HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:01 am »

Thank you both, i will place my order this afternoon i think. looks like the 300 may have to go on a wait list. Only budgeted just so much for this project.

P

Peter,

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The HC 50-110, except it is rather heavy (which all H lenses are heavy in its class, except the HCD 28) and the sharpness of 50-110 is very good, comparable to HC 80/2.8, HC 100/2.2 and HC 120/4.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 12:27:02 pm »

Thank you both, i will place my order this afternoon i think. looks like the 300 may have to go on a wait list. Only budgeted just so much for this project.

P
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129717\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter,
Check if the lens discount is still available - I may be wrong, but I thought it was through the end of July - may be quite a savings.

PeterDendrinos

HCD 4/28 vs HC 3.5/35
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »

regrettably the 300 is excluded. I may go for the macro if i can get their site do function correctly. it keeps puking on the registration process for the lens.

P

Peter,
Check if the lens discount is still available - I may be wrong, but I thought it was through the end of July - may be quite a savings.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up