Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to medium format  (Read 14098 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
New to medium format
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 03:53:57 pm »

A little remark from my side about the too blueish tones.
Could you please post a picture, some of my work is filtered with blue or tabacco for a certain look, that's not a problem with my colorbalance

I think you mean this series:

A blue layer was used indeed for this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 03:55:27 pm by Frank Doorhof »

Snook

New to medium format
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 10:29:16 am »

Are those highlights just fried or did you muck them up in Post?
Frank I think it would better to post regular shots.. Not something you destroyed in Photoshop...
Just some friendly advice.
There are all kinds of Problems with that picture, Color being the main one.
Not sure Mmaiya would like that..:+]
Snook

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
New to medium format
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 11:07:29 am »

Are those highlights just fried or did you muck them up in Post?
Frank I think it would better to post regular shots.. Not something you destroyed in Photoshop...
Just some friendly advice.
There are all kinds of Problems with that picture, Color being the main one.
Not sure Mmaiya would like that..:+]
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130412\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is very rude; not "friendly advice" at all.  It is not what I expect to read on a forum where the forum owner urges, and most regulars maintain, a tone of mutual respect and consideration.  You may certainly disagree with Frank's style, but I urge you to pursue other ways to express it.

MarkWelsh

New to medium format
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 03:14:35 pm »

Let's keep it civil! This isn't DPReview . . .

Frank Doorhof

New to medium format
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 03:14:49 pm »

@Snook,
That's your opinion.
Mamiya LOVES my shots, so that is ok I think.

The way I approach my photography will differ from those you will use, but I believe we had that discussion earlier, when you mailed me to stop copying your style (up untill than I never heard of you), and that mail was not very nice to say the least, even when I tried to answer you very politly, so maybe you are a bit frustated with something ?
Don't be, the world is big enough for alot of styles and personallities, but PLEASE stop chasing me with this sort of campaigns, I'm a very nice person but this is really beginning to bug me.

I never destroy pictures, but I have my own style, and that style is differse as far as I know, and WHEN a highlight is blown, trust me that is intended, and when a picture has a blue cast, trust me that is intended.

With modelphotography I make my art the way I see fit, and that is more than just pressing the shutter and getting everything nice and balanced in the rules someone makes. I love to experiment with color and with blending modes, for me Photoshop is a gift to the photographer of the modern day.

Accentlights are often 1/3 stop above my mainlight, meaning accents WILL blow out but that is again totally intentional.

But I guess you like the safe work more, and that's ok, here something to ease your mind, or wait, never shoot into the sun ??  (just kidding of course).
Oh and I blew the highlights in the water..... (again pun intended)

See www.frankdoorhof.com for the rest of my work.
Maybe good to visit that before you again make ridicilous claims about my work.

For the mods, very sorry to be so blunt, normally I'm a very civil person but as mentioned before, this person and I have a history which from his side is let's say not so nice and civil
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 03:27:56 pm by Frank Doorhof »

Snook

New to medium format
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 05:54:44 pm »

What side do you have with me Frank?
I think your mistaken on that.
Maybe on another forum I ask you not to post everyrthing so rosy as you have been accused of being Promoter of Mamiya equipment, So your answers are biased ofcourse.
I asked you (In another foorum) to please post anything negative like buffering and such and you never did.
I have nothing against you at all..? Contrary. I appreciated a lot of your Information you posted about the ZD. Biased or not...
Which thanks again.
But when people start talking about blue cast etc... How can anybody make an opinion on something that IMHO opinion has been destroyed in Photoshop.
If the truth hurts, Sorry.
But I do not think it is fair representation of the ZD after so much post.. actually I think it hurts it.
That picture sure looks pretty blown on the skin and has the orangy Digital phenom on the skin tones as well.
I did not say the picture was horrible... Just that you pretty much destroyed any information  that was representative of the ZD, and for that reason Mamiya probably would not like it..
SO take it how you want.
It is My Opinion Only..:+}
PS...
I destroy some of my pictures from time to time to get that "destroyed" highlight look as well.
Snook

Frank Doorhof

New to medium format
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 03:58:02 am »

Maybe it's the power of the written word than that took the words come out rather negative to me.
I'm no longer posting pics for the review of the Mamiya anymore, but I'm doing my work and with my work also working with colorlayers is a part of the look I sometimes want.

The thing I was remarking to is the unpleasent mail conversation (well I don't even call it a conversation) we had a while ago in which you claimed I was copying your style and you wanted me to stop immediatly, I mailed you back that I did not know you and I did not know what this was about, when you got really aggressive, I did a search and found some shots you did on a cargraveyard and I did some on a cargraveyard, I did not found however any similarities execpt they both used old cars and beautiful girls

It's the same as photographing in a hotel room and mailing everyone that shoots in a hotelroom, I'm 100% honest when I say I never (activly) heard from you before that, let alone was copying something you did, when looking at the shots it was also clear that it was not even similair, except the girls and the cars.

When something like that happens, and you read this I hope you understand I'm jumping into defence mode

Again, I'm not a difficult person and I answer everyone that mails me and I love to share, HOWEVER I do have a own style of photography and PS work.

David Blankenship

New to medium format
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 09:43:50 am »

A little remark from my side about the too blueish tones.
Could you please post a picture, some of my work is filtered with blue or tabacco for a certain look, that's not a problem with my colorbalance

I think you mean this series:

thanks,
db

Frank Doorhof

New to medium format
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 11:15:27 am »

Well should I also mention that they were shot on the brand paper I use, add a little video showing what I did, and attach the original RAW files ???

Sorry to maybe come over wrong but this is ridicilous, I think it's clearly seen that the tint is done on purpose and is not some noob who doesn't know how to balance a picture on the camera side.....

I post my pictures and if ANYONE has ANY questions about it I will explain what I did (always have and always will).
However there are some people looking for a stick and there can always one be found.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:17:04 am by Frank Doorhof »

David Blankenship

New to medium format
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 05:44:46 pm »

Well should I also mention that they were shot on the brand paper I use, add a little video showing what I did, and attach the original RAW files ???

Sorry to maybe come over wrong but this is ridicilous, I think it's clearly seen that the tint is done on purpose and is not some noob who doesn't know how to balance a picture on the camera side.....

I post my pictures and if ANYONE has ANY questions about it I will explain what I did (always have and always will).
However there are some people looking for a stick and there can always one be found.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Frank,

I sorry if I hurt your feelings, I am interested in the Mamiya AFDII back and was wondering if it had any blue tinge issues that is all.  I am not a very good wordsmith like a lot of folks on this forum.  

Best,
db

marcmccalmont

New to medium format
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 07:44:50 pm »

I started this topic just to get some feedback on mamiya lenses and digital backs
wow! BTW I really like Franks style (for advertisements) I wish I was that good. (I would love a tutorial) I also like Michael Reichmann's realistic style (for landscapes) I wish I was that good too.
Marc

PS I did find out the 35mm is a bit soft so the thread wasn't a total loss
Marc McCalmont

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
New to medium format
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 08:43:35 pm »

Hi Frank
Please continue to post your images. I would ignore some of these comments. We need more photographers like you that go to the time of posting their work. And this is very important for the ZD back right now. Keep up the good work,
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Frank Doorhof

New to medium format
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 02:18:16 am »

Thanks, by the way don't know if I ever commented you about it but your site is in my favorites for the STUNNING work.

About the 35mm, don't know who finds it a bit soft but maybe it's copy dependend, I own the 35mm and it's a very very nice lens, I find it very sharp, even wide open it's very usable.

about the blue tint, when a back has a problem it's often due to bad operation from the AWB or the photographer, when you work in a calibrated workflow (which I urge everyone in my workshops to do) it should be no problem.
The simplest way is to shoot with a graycard and RAW of course, and use the graycard later on to balance your shots.
If you should have a blue tone in for example your shadows (but I never heard of this in the high-end backs, but correct me if I'm wrong) you can always make a selection and set a blackpoint with the settings 1,1,1.

Greetings,
Frank
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:22:50 am by Frank Doorhof »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
New to medium format
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 05:04:30 pm »

Great work, Frank, I can see why Mamiya loves your work.  Don't let some DPreview exile with a chip on his shoulder get you down.

Quentin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:04:52 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up