Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zion Narrows advice  (Read 5313 times)

Khurram

Zion Narrows advice
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:41 am »

I was supposed to go to BOston for a conference at the end of this month, but now at the last minut i'll have to goto Vegas for a confereance and workshop instead.

've pretty much 95% decided on heading to  Zion - have made reservations in Springdale - right after i'm done with work, i was planning on heading to zion friday afternoon on the 27 and then get back to Vegas on Sun 29 for my flight.  

It means i will have friday night, saterday and sunday morning in Zion.  I'm kind of worried about the crowds and heat at this time of the year (but still beats Vegas), but have never been to the Narrows.

I just wanted to get some advice on camera/lense choices for the trip, as well as some advice on the Narrows - best places there for photography..

I had planned on taking the following in my large backpack with the following:
-5D
-1DIII
-24-105L
16-35L
-70-200 F2.8L IS
-580 flash

COnsidering that i'm planning on doing the narrows, i'm now re-considering taking two bodies. I thought i'd leave the 5D, so that instead of my large packpack i can take my Dryzone Rover.

Will i miss not being able to go wider then 21mm (16-35 on the 1DIII)

I saw the video and am a little concerned about taking my regular photo backpack that can hold more gear:
http://www.utah.com/multimedia/flv/narrows.html

Is this video representative of the hike if i'm only looking at doing the bottem up hike on the folllowing site
http://www.utah.com/hike/zion_narrows.htm

Is the water level at the end of July the way it is in the video

I don't anticipate needing to go wider then 21mm in Vegas - but am not sure about Zion.

I'd prefer to to take all my gear - just in case, but would feel safer with the dryzone rover then with the backpack.

Any other advice on what is better -for light early morning, or late in the day.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

TurnerJon

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:52:38 am »

You may want to contact the park service before you go. There is currently a wildfire burning near Zion and it may cause limited access issues.

Sangio

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:37:41 am »

Hi Khurram:

Laurent Martres has published some excellent photography guides for this area called "Photographing The Southwest".  Volume 1 covers Utah.  I purchased my copy of this books from Amazon.

For this particular hike, he recommends taking along a pair of hiking poles to probe the river bottom, as well as using a waterproof container for camera gear.

Hope this helps
regards
Sangio

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:43:25 am »

As of today the Narrows are closed due to several fires burning in Zion. Hopefully, they'll be out by the time you go.
 The Virgin River is extremely low at this time. I've had several friends hike it within the last two weeks and from the bottom it's barely to your knees at any time. Be careful carrying a camera into the Narrows, the rocks are like bowling balls and falling is always a possibility. I usually hike about two hours upstream to where Orderville Canyon enters on the right, this gives you a great taste of the Canyon.
  If you can, rent shoes and a walking stick the nite before. Take a very early shuttle to the trail. This will allow you to beat the crowds going in. Trust me, on the way out there will be a lot of people wishing they'd started early!
  Hope you enjoy your time in Zion.

Win

Khurram

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:16:19 pm »

Hi Khurram:

Laurent Martres has published some excellent photography guides for this area called "Photographing The Southwest".  Volume 1 covers Utah.  I purchased my copy of this books from Amazon.

For this particular hike, he recommends taking along a pair of hiking poles to probe the river bottom, as well as using a waterproof container for camera gear.

Hope this helps
regards
Sangio
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the advice Sangio. I actually used to have this book as well as the older Land of the canyons - unfortuately, i left them in my motel in Page last year.

I pretty much made pretty good use of his books, with the exception on th sections on Zion and Capital reef for utah sections.  I may have to pick it up again.
----

Khurram

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:17:47 pm »

As of today the Narrows are closed due to several fires burning in Zion. Hopefully, they'll be out by the time you go.
 The Virgin River is extremely low at this time. I've had several friends hike it within the last two weeks and from the bottom it's barely to your knees at any time. Be careful carrying a camera into the Narrows, the rocks are like bowling balls and falling is always a possibility. I usually hike about two hours upstream to where Orderville Canyon enters on the right, this gives you a great taste of the Canyon.
  If you can, rent shoes and a walking stick the nite before. Take a very early shuttle to the trail. This will allow you to beat the crowds going in. Trust me, on the way out there will be a lot of people wishing they'd started early!
  Hope you enjoy your time in Zion.

Win
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks for the advice regarding the fires.  I'm looking at going to Sedona as a backup plan for zion if the park remains closed.

Do you know where you can rent poles and shoes from in Zion.
----

Win

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 09:06:33 am »

thanks for the advice regarding the fires.  I'm looking at going to Sedona as a backup plan for zion if the park remains closed.

Do you know where you can rent poles and shoes from in Zion.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shoes and sticks can be rented in several places. As you enter Springdale, Zion Rock will be on your left. I have friends there so I always recommend it first.  Second choice is Zion Adventure, a little further in town next to Zion Pizza and Noodle.(real good food, by the way).

I was thru Zion yesterday and the smoke didn't seem so bad. I would hope they would open the Narrows from the bottom, maybe to Orderville Canyon. For now the upper Narrows are not possible. Fire is still growing, but is away from the main Canyon.

Win

Khurram

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 03:43:07 pm »

Shoes and sticks can be rented in several places. As you enter Springdale, Zion Rock will be on your left. I have friends there so I always recommend it first.  Second choice is Zion Adventure, a little further in town next to Zion Pizza and Noodle.(real good food, by the way).

I was thru Zion yesterday and the smoke didn't seem so bad. I would hope they would open the Narrows from the bottom, maybe to Orderville Canyon. For now the upper Narrows are not possible. Fire is still growing, but is away from the main Canyon.

Win
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the recommendations Win!
----

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 04:44:16 pm »

This is from the latest Utah.com National Parks Advisor e-newsletter:

Utah's Great, Smoky National Parks

Smoke is wafting in and out of the canyons in Zion National Park, the result of wildfires burning in the backcountry. The main part of the park is open and all major roads are open, but the fires have curtailed travel and recreation in backcountry areas.

Zion Narrows This has been a bad year for wildfires in Utah and around the West, and we are only about halfway through the fire season. News coverage has been widespread. Because of the interest, we are using this newsletter to provide current information on Utah fires, and how they may affect recreation around our popular national parks.

Basically, Utah parks are open for business, with closures affecting just a few areas. All major highways are open. Visitor services in the parks and in adjacent communities are open and fully functional.

The Milford Flat fire, the largest wildfire in Utah history, briefly closed Interstate 15 through central Utah a couple weeks ago, but that danger has long since subsided. No new highway closures are expected.

Zion National Park
The fires currently burning in Zion Park were started by a dry lightning storm on Sunday. Crews are battling the blazes, which are burning in extremely rugged terrain. Those fires may grow bigger during the next several days. Restrictions on backcountry travel and recreation will remain in effect until the danger is eliminated.

Zion Canyon, the most popular area of the park, is open with no restrictions. Campgrounds are open and the shuttle service is operating normally. Some smoke may drift into Zion Canyon, but it will probably be the only evidence of the fire most visitors see.

The entire Zion backcountry is closed. Trails that stay in Zion Canyon are open without restrictions. Trails that climb out of the canyon are closed in backcountry areas. You can hike into the Narrows from the bottom and proceed upstream to Orderville Gulch, but you cannot go beyond that point. Top-to-bottom hikes through the Narrows are not allowed at this time.

All technical canyon hikes in Zion have been closed because of the fires. The Lava Point Campground is closed. The North Fork Road, located just east of the park, has been closed and a mandatory evacuation order is in effect for resorts and summer homes in that area.

Watch the Zion Park website for current information.

Other Areas
A small fire was reported near the junction of Hwy 12 and Hwy 89, but it was apparently extinguished quickly. Highway 12 is open, as are campgrounds and trails in that area. No other fires have been reported near our National Parks. Roads, campgrounds and trails associated with the parks are open.

Conditions are dry statewide and regulations are in effect to minimize the chance of human-caused blazes. In general, open fires are not allowed except in fire pits in developed campgrounds. Some areas may completely ban open fires, so check at visitors' centers for current fire restrictions.

The Colorado River corridor through the Moab/Arches/Canyonlands area has high fire potential and extra care needs to be taken when camping and playing in that area.

Hiking Near Moab Near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, most of the Kaibab National Forest was briefly closed to all recreational activities because of high fire danger. That closure has been lifted, effective 7/20, so visitors can again camp, hike, bike and explore the forest. Campfires are not allowed except in developed campgrounds, and smoking is restricted to vehicles, buildings and developed campgrounds.

The 24th of July is a major holiday in Utah, commemorating the arrival of the early pioneers. It is a popular time for family gatherings, camping trips and fireworks. Please remember that fireworks are always illegal in National Parks, National Forests and on other state and federal ground.

Because conditions are so dry, Utah Governor Jon Huntsman has issued an emergency order discouraging the use of fireworks at this time. Some Utah communities are totally banning fireworks this year.

If you want to set off fireworks, check to make sure you comply with local regulations. Never set off fireworks near trees, brush or weeds.

Capitol Reef National Park Lightning-caused fires are a normal summer occurrence in Utah's backcountry. There will be fires every year - you can count on that - and we need to plan our activities around them. This website is updated with current information about Utah fires.

The parks are open, come on down and enjoy them. And, if you come to Zion, expect to see some mighty pretty smoky sunsets!

- Dave Webb

This monthly email newsletter is designed to provide timely information about travel and vacation opportunities in the national park country of southern Utah, northern Arizona and western Colorado. Please forward it to friends you think may be interested.
If your mind is attuned t

bobbielandry

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 09:16:49 pm »

Saw your post and wanted to mention that while you are in Vegas you MUST get out to Valley of Fire.  It is a State Park - if you Google it you will see how to get there, etc.  It is about 40 minutes outside of Las Vegas and is serious photo competition to Bryce, Zion, etc.  I kid you not.  It is a well kept secret but I have taken some amazing photos out there and I am not even that good.

Hope you enjoy your trip.  Happy shooting.

Bobbie

Win

Zion Narrows advice
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 07:27:37 pm »

Good news, there was some rain today and the fires have been knocked down, not quite out. Parts of the backcountry are being reopened and hiking the Narrows from the bottom should not be a problem.

Have fun.

Win

Local newspaper:

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NEWS01/70723020
Pages: [1]   Go Up