Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment recommendations...  (Read 12936 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Equipment recommendations...
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 11:52:03 am »

So I think what I'm hearing here is that a canon 5D and a pano-head would be a less expensive alternative to a Hass. CF 22 back with all the trimmings provided size of imagery outside magazine format is not required? The pano-head would solve the wide angle "zoom" effect I have mentioned as being a detrement to composition, but I have a hard time thinking that if I'm going to commit to digital, why not start with the the better system.
Thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure, if you can afford it, can get  the assignments that go with the CF22 definitely go for it. If budget is a concern the 5D, panohead & indeed good skills also in PS will be a great way to generate files that are acceptable for many clients. The 5D is a great camera system but the backs are simply better in some important areas.  

My route was, film, D1, D1x, C-most, D200, Valeo11, Aptus17 & now even bigger.

It is also a matter of what works for you. I would prefer an older 24x36 back with Digiflex II (or Flexbody) anytime over the 5D  but these can only be bought second hand nowadays. These aren't fit for everything either.

There are a lot of factors that you could take into the equation.

Another line of thought. You just enter and still have to built your client list, this normally takes a while (it took me a couple of years and I am still building). Postponing the investment into more expensive equipment means you can have the same later for less.

Etc..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:41:48 pm by Dustbak »

sgphoto844

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 12:01:26 pm »

Sure, if you can afford it, can get  the assignments that go with the CF22 definitely go for it. If budget is a concern the 5D, panohead & indeed good skills also in PS will be a great way to generate files that are acceptable for many clients.

My route was, film, D1, D1x, C-most, D200, Valeo11, Aptus17 & now even bigger.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sounds very tempting. I'll check that route out.
Thanks.

Bevan.Burns

• http://
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 01:29:17 pm »

Whoa. A ton to think about for sure. I'm glad I'm going to be getting so much exposure to 4x5 view cameras at school. Seems to me that can only be a good thing. I learned photography on film and have a great love of it, but I also love the possibilities that digital opens up. Thanks for so much feedback from everyone. Please keep the discussion going!

Bevan

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 04:03:17 pm »

One final thought Bevan.

I take my architectural photography class at the Art Institute of Chicago over to Hedrich Blessing every year as a field trip. If you are unaware, Hedrich-Blessing is an architectural photography firm in Chicago that goes back to the 20's. They have 8 full time photographers that travel the world and with probably twice that number in support staff. Almost anyone who put together a list of the top ten APs in this country would include most of these guys. HB

I have been taking my class there for the last 8 years. They are real gentlemen, very sharing and thorough going professionals. They are at the very top echelon of their field and the bell weather of where the field is going as they are very conservative technically and do not follow fads. I really appreciate the time they take out of their busy schedules to talk to my students. Bevan, in my opinion no aspiring AP could do better than becoming an assistant at HB.

FWIW

They are still shooting 70-80% film, Kodak EPN and Fuji 160 Pro S. Digital is Phase One backs and Canons. They are not thrilled by the digital cameras/lenses available for use right now for AP. All film is scanned. In their new building (a superb fascility built specifically for them), there are no wet darkrooms at all, just Imacon scanners and inkjet printers. They have grave concerns about the future of the films and Polaroid they depend on and as a result are following industry developments closely.

Advice to my students from Bob Shimer, General Manager, a great photographer in his own right,........(if you knew these guys you would know what a radical statement this is for them)........"I wouldn't spend much time learning traditional film based architectural photography techniques."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:08:45 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up