Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink bleeding with hahnemuhle photo rag  (Read 7860 times)

knobbo

Ink bleeding with hahnemuhle photo rag
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:01:09 pm »

Hi,
I was hoping I could get some help or answers if anyone has had this problem and knows what I should try to rectify this problem. I'm using a mac by the way..

I am printing on hahnemuhle 308gsm photo rag using a brand new epson 3800. I am selecting Arcival matt paper as media type (I have tried Enhanced matt paper and premium luster photo paper (blacks were pale), but they both still bled).

I have chosen advanced settings 1440dpi, unchecked high speed and checked finest detail.

In the printer colour management no color adjustment was checked, but when I use the epson standard the results are a little better, but I am still getting inks bleeding into one another, just not as bad.

I'd really appreciate some help! I am relatively new to all this so simple explanations would be much appreciated

knobbo

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:52 pm »

I've come to a solution by reducing my ink density to -20% if anyone would like to know.

mcnally

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:40:45 am »

How are you feeding the paper into your printer? I had this problem with my epson 2400 and because I was using paper that was much thicker (Cranes Silver Rag) I had to feed my paper into the slot for thick paper. I don't know where this is on the 3800. I assume that you are using printer profiles and soft proofing. Mary Pat

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:37:50 am »

Hi,
I was hoping I could get some help or answers if anyone has had this problem and knows what I should try to rectify this problem. I'm using a mac by the way..

I am printing on hahnemuhle 308gsm photo rag using a brand new epson 3800. I am selecting Arcival matt paper as media type (I have tried Enhanced matt paper and premium luster photo paper (blacks were pale), but they both still bled).

I have chosen advanced settings 1440dpi, unchecked high speed and checked finest detail.

In the printer colour management no color adjustment was checked, but when I use the epson standard the results are a little better, but I am still getting inks bleeding into one another, just not as bad.

I'd really appreciate some help! I am relatively new to all this so simple explanations would be much appreciated
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128744\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't mean to be insulting, but are you sure you're printing on the correct side of the paper? Printing on the uncoated side will show severe bleeding. I've gotten very sharp results on Photo rag 308 with an Epson 7600, much sharper with less dot gain than I saw on Somerset velvet. At least in my experience it can be a bit difficult to tell which side of Photo rag is the printable side, as there's no indication on the packaging (at least for 24x36" sheets). I ended up using the wet finger test.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:44:41 am »

How are you feeding the paper into your printer? I had this problem with my epson 2400 and because I was using paper that was much thicker (Cranes Silver Rag) I had to feed my paper into the slot for thick paper. I don't know where this is on the 3800. I assume that you are using printer profiles and soft proofing. Mary Pat
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128797\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried this on my 2400, but got lousy sharpness and frequent skewed feeds that tore the paper edge. The best way to load Silver rag on the 2400 is to put in in the usual top feed slot, and to use gentle fingertip pressure on the top edge of the page to "encourage" the paper into the printer as it starts to take it up. Works every time for me, and the output quality is much better than when you use the horizontal front-load slot.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:27:43 am »

For Photo Rag 308 on the 3800, be sure to:

1. Use Velvet Fine Art for the Media Type, not Archival Matte or Enhanced Matte. The ink load for AM or EM is inappropriate for the HPR paper. Note that VFA is the Media Type recommended by Hahnemuehle and I have verified for myself that it produces the best results.

2. Feed the sheets individually using the Rear Feed. (You will need to use the RF anyways when you select the VFA Media Type.)

3. Make sure to feed with the correct print side, as noted above. You can use the wet finger test: the side that sticks to your finger is the printable side.

4. Set the Color Density slider in the driver to 0. You should not need to decrease it to -20, and if you do, you will get a very weak black and bad color gamut.

5. Set the Platen Gap to Wide in the driver. You can leave the Paper Thickness as its default value of 5 (5 is the default for the VFA Media Type, which is 19 mils thick, the same as HPR308)

6. You can use either 1440 or 2880 dpi.

7. Make sure to let the print dry thoroughly and don't scuff the surface.

Enjoy.
Eric Chan

alfin

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:39:35 am »

5. Set the Platen Gap to Wide in the driver. You can leave the Paper Thickness as its default value of 5 (5 is the default for the VFA Media Type, which is 19 mils thick, the same as HPR308)
Eric,
Your answer above puzzles me a bit. I had assumed that the paper thickness setting is only valid when using Epson papers and the platen gap setting set to auto. If one changes the platen gap setting from auto to, say wide, paper thickness settings have no meaning anymore, i.e. it doesn’t matter whether one sets thickness to 3 or 5 as long as platen gap is wide.

At least that’s how I understood it when I read about custom paper settings in the 3800 User Guide. I have checked your website, but cannot find anything in particular explaining the differences. Are there anything else being controlled via the paper thickness setting except the distance between paper and head? Maybe I have misunderstood how it works. Can you please explain? Thanks.

Lars
Lars Mollerstrom

alfin

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:28:59 pm »

No comments so far, guess I was correct then. Anyone else care to elaborate on the differences between paper thickness and platen gap settings on an Epson 3800?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:29:40 pm by alfin »
Lars Mollerstrom

GregW

• http://
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:24:50 pm »

I don't full subscribe to Velvet Fine Art being the best option.  

Color and how it's laid down is of course very personal.   From my research and testing I've found Ultra Smooth Fine Art to be a better match for HFAR 308 particularly in the aea of highlight detail when rendered relatively using the caned profiles.

It's always worth trying a few options and see what works for you.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:27:45 pm by GregW »

dgillilan

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:14:24 pm »

No comments so far, guess I was correct then. Anyone else care to elaborate on the differences between paper thickness and platen gap settings on an Epson 3800?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alfin,
I thought that paper thickness and the platen gap settings were two different entities. I agree that both deal with paper thickness, but I think the platen gap deals more with the heads and the hardness that the  head strikes.

I also would be interested in hearing from others on what is the difference between the two items,
Thanks, Debra

p.tinson

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 06:31:45 pm »

The platern gap and the media thickness has an effect on the time an ink droplet takes from the head to the media surface. When printing in Bi-direction this timing has to be adjusted to get the droplets in the correct alignment with the head traveling both ways. To get the optimum results both the platern gap and the media thickness need to be know to the firmware to get the timing correct.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 06:34:03 pm by p.tinson »

p.tinson

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 06:32:59 pm »

correction
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 06:33:43 pm by p.tinson »

rugydp

• http://rdp-photo.net
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 05:08:42 am »

Hi

I use the profile from monochrom.com to print on Photo Rag with my 3800. I'm very amazed by the results. Much better than the Hahnemühle profiles I tried.

http://www.monochrom.com/cc/monoc/shop/mai...=&text=20407599

The settings are Velvet Fine Art Paper as paper choice at 2880 dpi.

Try it out
Pages: [1]   Go Up