Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Montreal and area in Fall  (Read 9070 times)

Harris

Montreal and area in Fall
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:48:02 pm »

We are thinking about taking a trip to Canada for two weeks from the States this fall.  Will probable fly into Montreal and rent a car.  Will stay in Montreal for two or three nights and looking for suggestions on places to visit after that.
Also, are there any travel restrictions we should be aware of - we do have passports.
Thanks,
Harris

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:55:27 pm »

You don't need a passport for travel WITHIN Canada. You didn't say what your interests are so it is hard to recommend anything in particular. If you like making photographs in photogenic cities, the old town part of Quebec City is a gem. If you like country environments, the Laurentian mountains North of Montreal provides much of that.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:24:40 am »

Hi There:

As Mark said, you won't need passports within Canada - your primary need for them actually is to be able to get back into the U.S. at the end of your trip.

Let's see...  It really depends on what you're looking for and when you go.  The drive east from Montreal to Quebec City would take you about 3 hours, but there are two different routes.  The main highway is a four lane, what you would call an interstate highway (20), but there's also a smaller two lane blacktop that follows along the southern edge of the St. Lawrence River (30).  It follows the river pretty closely and goes through some picturesque little towns along the way.  There are a number of picnic sites and pullover sites where you can walk down to the river.  If you're there from mid to late October you'll be in the middle of the snow goose migration - the birds use the river as a staging area before heading farther south and there will be thousands and thousands of them on the river.

In addition to the drive, there's also a cruise boat that travels back and forth between Montreal and Quebec City if you want to see things from the river perspective.

Both cities are steeped in history going back several hundred years - both were originally Indian village sites.  Today Montreal has a population of around 2 million, and Quebec City around half a million.  Quebec is the provincial capital.  In Montreal you have everything from Mount Royal (Mont - Real in French) to the Olympic stadium to the Biodome to Cirque du Soleil, which maintains their headquarters there.  There are walking tours in both cities as well, and Quebec has an 'Art Street' which is closed to traffic and displays the work of local artists.  Both cities also have an 'old town' which have many historical buildings.  I'll provide a few links at the end of this, but a quick search on Google will provide lots of information.

Depending on your language skills, Quebec's official language is French but in the cities you'll find most people are bilingual.  Even in the smaller towns you'll find people generally very accomodating if you make any effort at all.  When I first moved to Quebec in 1967 I didn't speak a word of French and my first friend didn't speak a word of English and we got along fine.  OTOH,  I remember when I was working in eastern Quebec in 1980, and some tourists would come into the local restaurant and demand that the waitresses speak English to them.  And when the waitresses didn't understand them, they would simply speak LOUDER.  I did a lot of translating...

Mike.

http://www.evasionplus.com/en/
http://www.guidatour.qc.ca/en/profil.htm
http://vieux.montreal.qc.ca/eng/accueila.htm
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/biodome/s...e.php?langue=en
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/insectari...n=1&intParent=1
http://www.delcoaviation.com/menu/menu_en.htm
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/en/menu.htm
If your mind is attuned t

Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:35:04 pm »

Mark and Mike -
Many thanks - the info and leads you provided are very helpful - sounds like just what I am looking for - both urban and rural landscape.  We plan on taking the trip in September - drive from Philadelphia to Montreal and from what you suggested, then on to Quebec City.  Only time I was in Quebec City was in 1956 - had just graduated high school - remember the Chateau Frontenac (coudn't afford to stay there) and walking on a boardwalk.  It was charming at that time.      
Harris

camilla

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:21:14 pm »

Hi
I have been going to Quebec City at least once a year for... since 1947 actually. There are extraordinary photographic possibilities there both within the walls and on the Ile de Orleans which is a stone;s throw away. You travel towards St. Anne (the waterfall in winter becomes magical) and then follow the signs to Ile de Orleans. I agree with our friend about Route 30 alongside the river. Great opportunities. If you travel from Philadelphia I guess you will take 95 North and then 87 North to 15. If you plan to spend time in Montreal first and as you say, you will be traveling in the fall, the area around Mont Tremblant is absolutely spectacular.
I remember that one of Michael's essays a while back showed a gorgeous photo of a full moon on the side of Mt. Tremblant. There are great rates there off season. Really worthwhile. Gorgeous covoered bridges as well outside St. Jovite and also further north. You will have a great time and will wish having additional days...
Bon Voyage

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:13:19 am »

Just by way of clarification, according to Google maps, highway 30 eventually turns into highway 132 at Sorel, east of Montreal, and its name is 132 all the way to Quebec city, and beyond. It's possible that the google maps are wrong and that the highway is now named 30 all the way to Quebec city, but that would surprise me as highway 132 continues past Quebec city to the Gaspe peninsula and is known for its scenic trips through villages and towns along the way.

September may be early but by late Sept fall colours should be out at higher elevations, which means in a lot of the mountainous areas north of Montreal and Quebec and between.

Highway 40, also a 4 lane highway, goes from Montreal to Quebec city on the north shore of the St. Lawrence. It is a boring drive but usually has less traffic than highway 20 on the south side, if you're just interested in covering ground.

The Eastern Townships, south and east of Montreal (Sherbrooke, Magog, etc., hugging the US border) is also scenic and hilly. It is an alternate way to get from Mtl to Quebec city.
--
Robert

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:57:20 pm »

Just by way of clarification, according to Google maps, highway 30 eventually turns into highway 132 at Sorel, east of Montreal,

For further clarification,Hwy 30 and Hwy 132 are separate roads that overlap for  short distances in a couple of places.

Hwy 30 is a typical divided 4 lane 'interstate' and 132 is an undivided 2 lane road that
narrows inside the limits of many towns.
Though it is two lanes,and undivided,many drive it as if it were an interstate  :>))

The 132 is a very picturesque road and will give you a much better overview of small
and midsize town culture in Quebec.

If you have the time to devote to it,I highly recommend driving this route right around the
Gaspe peninsula

If you want more info send me a PM.  I live here and drive portions of the route regularly

Mark

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:25:32 pm »

The 132 is a very picturesque road and will give you a much better overview of small and midsize town culture in Quebec.

If you have the time to devote to it,I highly recommend driving this route right around the Gaspé peninsula

Yes, it is indeed a beautiful drive.  I did some work in Kamouraska/ St. Pascal and Ste. Anne de Mont in 1980 and still remember the beauty of the area.  It will definitely take more than one day though if you intend to stop at all and make photographs (and you will).  Been on that route a few times - the last time was in 2002 when Marcia and I headed east from Ontario for our honeymoon.  I remember one town, but I don't remember the name, where it seemed every second house was a craft shop selling model ships or wood carvings or things like that.

BTW, when you pass Percé and the sign changes from 132 East (Est) to 132 West (Ouest), it's because you've gone as far east as you can, not because you're somehow going in the wrong direction!  Some of the houses in the Gaspé have 'interesting' paint schemes.  I still remember one that was royal blue, bright yellow, pink and green.

If you really want to do that trip right, you can follow the highway around the Gaspé and then cross over into Campbellton, New Brunswick, and then there's a similar small highway that follows all around the coast of New Brunswick down to where it joins with Nova Scotia.  A multi-day trip but beautiful scenery.

And yes you can drive from Halifax back to Ottawa (~1580 km) in one day... I did.

Mike.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:26:55 pm by wolfnowl »

Harris

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 02:56:05 pm »

If we decided to drive around the Gaspé peninsula we would be leaving from Quebec City and then driving back to Philadelphia.  How much time should we allot for the trip through the peninsula (and be able to photograph and enjoy it) and what route or routes should we take back to Philadelphia.  

We plan on spending three nights in Montreal and three in Quebec City.  Have been to Montreal recently but last time in Quebec City was many years ago.

Have travelled through Nova Scotia several times and parts of New Brunswick throughly enjoyed each trip.  People were warm and hospitable.  Remember my first trip to Nova Scotia many many years ago.  My youngest son who was 5 and is now 35 threw up in the car.  As I pulled over to the side I wound up in a drainage  ditch.  It was in the country side and in about 10m minutes a number of farmers gathered around us speaking French.  Then one of them walked off and came back driving a tractor - he put a chain around the axel of our car and pulled us out of the ditch without say a word.  When I attempted to give him somethind he said "no thank you - just visit us again".

Fond memories      

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:31:19 am »

The Gaspe peninsula is big. Very big. When we went, we spent a week there, most of it on the north shore which we found more interesting from a scenic point of view, but maybe we were just tired by the time we got to the south side. The Provincial Park called Chic Chocs has nature and hill climbing hiking trails. The tops are high, bring warm clothes if you go.
--
Robert

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:23:42 pm »

Harris:  From maps.google.com the best route would be to circle the peninsula and cross over into northern New Brunswick, then head southwest from there.  I used Percé and Philadelphia as starting and end points.

As far as the Gaspé, you can do it in a day or two or a week.  Or a month.  There's no shortage of places to stop.  If you happen to be at Percé at low tide, you can walk out to the island.

An anecdote relating to the people there... in October, 2002 Marcia and I went around the east coast for our honeymoon.  We stayed overnight in Ste. Anne des Monts at the top of the Gaspé and continued the next day.  As we were driving around the southeast part of the peninsula, the brakes on our car began to make a wonderful grinding noise every time I pushed down on the pedal.  Great fun when going up and down the mountains.

We finally pulled into Campbellton, NB and stopped at the Howard Johnson just over the bridge.  Checked in, and although it was about 8:00 at night, I thought I'd call a local garage - expecting an answering machine message letting me know when they opened in the morning.  The owner was still there, and when I explained our plight he said he was really busy but suggested another garage in town.  I called them, and he was also there!  I thought, 'Does nobody go home?'  He was also busy but said if I brought the car in first thing he'd try to have a look at it.  So at 7:45 the next morning we SLOWLY made our way the 300 yards or so to the garage and left the car.  Headed back to the hotel, had some breakfast, and then, since we'd been on the road for several days already, loaded up our backpacks and walked off to  find the laundromat.

In the middle of doing our laundry, a man from the hotel walked into the laundromat, said, "The garage called with a question about your car..." pulled out his cell phone and called the garage then gave me the phone.  We hadn't told anyone where we were going, and Campbellton isn't THAT small!  Our brakes were fixed and we were all set to go by noon or so, but we decided to stay another night in town.  We sent a thank-you note back to the hotel for extraordinary service...

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:25:23 pm by wolfnowl »

Harris

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 09:11:29 am »

Sounds like we will have to include Gaspé in our trip - now only a question of how much time we can spend traveling through it.  I hate to rush through a place that sounds so attractive.  We just received info from the Gaspé tourist bureau, and my wife, who was initially hesitant about going there, became really enchanted with what she saw and so there is no question we will include part of it on this trip.  

What about fall colors - possibility of any in this area during the end of August?

Have another question - since I have relatives in Rochester NY, have thought about visiting them and then on to Montreal.  How long would it take to drive to Montreal from Rochester.  Have never visited the Eastman Museum and would like to include that as well.

My first camera was a Brownie Box and the first 35mm was a "Kodak 33" - guess I am dating myself but all are fond memories.  

If anyone had either of these cameras, would enjoy exchanging memories.

Harris      

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:49:41 am »

Rochester to Montreal will likely be about 5-6 hours. From where I81 from Syracuse meets highway 401 (near border), it is roughly two hours to Montreal. I am guessing from memory that Rochester to the border will be about 4 hours but that may be an over-estimate. I only did it once, many years ago now.

To answer your question, late August is early for fall colours except for maybe at higher elevations, but I am not sure about the kind of trees you find there. If you venture inland on gravel roads, remember that there is active logging going on so check about truck traffic.
--
Robert

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 11:00:09 am »

You want to make sure to keep as far away from the Canada-US border as you can any time during a holiday weekend. With the Canadian dollar being close to parity with the US dollar, and the Canadian retail marketing systems not adapting their prices fast enough, Canadians are driving to the US in droves for shopping, where prices are now much more attractive for much merchandise. With the continually increasing border security on both sides, wiating times to cross the border this past weekend at Niagara Falls, for example, were in the range of 3 hours. It has become a nightmare. There is a website (please search, I don't have the link off-hand) which lists real-time delays at each border crossing. It is handy to check this before traveling, for planning one's border crossing strategy. Yes, these days one needs a border-crossing strategy.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 04:56:43 pm »

The fastest way to get to Rochester from Montreal would be to head southwest  toward Kingston and cross over and take I 81 south to Syracuse then west to Rochester.  However, you can also go south from Montreal into New York or Vermont and go from there.  The advantage is that there are a number of smaller routes that cross the border that have minimal traffic. (At least there used to be - haven't been down there in a few years).  Once across you could take 87 south to Schenectady and pass through the Adirondacks on the way then head west from there.  It might add some time to your trip but the scenery in the Adirondacks is quite striking.

In the Gaspé you'll find mostly coniferous trees, but there are also aspen and birch.  Late August will likely see them starting to turn yellow.

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:57:20 pm by wolfnowl »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:55:27 am »

Good point, Mike.  To avoid boring highways you can cross the border at Cornwall (Canada side) and take Rte 30 down into Adirondack park, you'll love that drive. Once you get to about Saranac Lake or thereabouts, you can head west on 3 that ends up in Watertown NY. Most of the drive along 3 is quite nice, although it flattens neat Watertown.
--
Robert

Tam

• http://
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 01:43:31 pm »

Returned just a few weeks ago from a road trip from Owen Sound ON on Georgian Bay to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia via Québec City and Prince Edward Island. We spent two and a half weeks, mostly camping in the rain, but absolutely delighted at every turn. Talk about giggage.

Do take the old highway east from Montreal on the north side of the river to Quebec City. Note the many very old houses with the sloping scalloped roofs. As you drive further east you will see the mountains on either side of the river. It's all completely beautiful.

I have never travelled the Gaspé, but I have heard that you are well advised to check the weather forecasts before you venture out that way. It can be fogbound for days on end. The weather on the east coast has been pretty rainy this season. Myself, I would go rain or shine, but many wouldn't.

I should be very surprised if there were any fall colours at the end of August. The leaves will be just beginning to turn in the middle of September and be in full raging colour by October first in a normal year.

You might like to check out the southern coast of New Brunswick on your return to the States. St. Andrews by the Sea, just south of the border at St. Stephens is charming. Fundy National Park will afford an opportunity to visit the Bay of Fundy.

Hey - if you venture into Nova Scotia - you might like to see the prettiest little fishing village on the planet at Advocate Harbour. If interested, I'll give you directions.

Harris

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 08:02:47 am »

Just thought I would report back on our trip.  Decided to drive first to Watkins Glen in NY.  Had been there over 50 years ago on my first trip away from home with friends and learned that it is not always good to go back when you have fond memories of a place.  Glen is still beautiful but have seen so many things since my initial visit there that it did not bring back the feelings of wonderment I initially had.  

Drove from there to Montreal and stayed in the Old City near Notre Dame Cathedral.  Unfortunately during the ride my wife’s back went out so we were not able to get around as much as we wanted to.  Also, very humid the three days we were there (very unusual for that time of tear) so made the stay there not as pleasant as we would have liked.  There some great galleries to visit in the Old City.  People and food were great and hope to return (next time fly) and enjoy more.  

Bonnie has had breast cancer three times over the years and recently something was discovered on her liver - we have an appointment to see specialist in a couple of days and this trip in part was supposed to be a way of getting our minds off of things.

Drove to Quebec City from Montreal along scenic route.  If I had a choice again, would take expressway to Three Rivers (excuse the English) and then get on it.  However, one redeeming fact was a local carnival along the way which we stopped for and watched a tractor pulling contest. I also took a number of shots of old barn windows and doors along the way.  I love  scenes where there are weather beaten barns with broken windows - try to get a frame within a frame.

Quebec City was enjoyable - weather was good - however City is getting ready for 400th anniversary so there were a number of places covered with scaffolding.  Again the people and food were great.  Part of the Promenade in from of the Château Frontenac is ripped up and there is archeological work being done - interesting to watch.    There is scaffolding along the front of the Château Frontenac where pointing is being done.  Château a lot stuffier than what I remembered of it (but at that time I was 19 years old).  Funicular in operation from lower City to Upper City - different from one I remembered.  With the old one both cars had to work at same time - one up while the other went down.  Many opportunities for photography but requires a lot of walking and my wife was not up to much of it.  Old City has gone the way of most tourist places - while a number of decent shops with quality goods also the T Shirt shops and a couple with the F word in the window.

Cut the trip short a few days because of Bonnie’s discomfort and headed for long ride home - fantastic lady - every time she went in to the operating room for surgery she would smile at me and tell me not to worry - she would be okay - probably should have returned home day after Watkins Glen but Bonnie would not permit it.  We stopped overnight in Reinbeck NY and then next day home in Philadelphia.  Arrived home and was about to call my friend who I took my first trip to Watkins Glen with when I learned he had died - had gone to high school 52’ and college 56’ with him so whatever pleasures we did have on the trip were quickly washed away.

Don’t mean to be a wet rag but writing this is just a way of getting rid of some of my frustration.  Sure if circumstances had been different we would have had a great trip.

Harris

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 08:59:53 am »

Hello Harris,

Thanks for the feedback on your trip to Eastern Canada. It is good to hear how things went after all the discussion and suggestions on the Forum.

Actually July and August, even into September in Montreal can be extremely uncomfortable, so your comment is not surprising. You were not unfortunate, in the sense that the weather you encountered there is nothing exceptional. I grew up in Montreal over the 1940s to 1960s and I have my worst memories of Montreal summers.

I am very sorry to hear of the medical challenges that constrained your ability to take full advantage of your presence in Canada, and wish you and your wife all the best for a good prognosis and good progress going forward.

Mark

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 02:01:59 am »

Hi Harris:

Thanks for sharing your story.  If can deign to speak for the other 30 million odd Canadians, come back anytime!  Our best wishes to you and your wife...

Mike (and Marcia)
Pages: [1]   Go Up