Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Back trade in/up  (Read 12858 times)

jimgolden

• http://
Digital Back trade in/up
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:50:04 pm »

Question for reps in 2 parts:

When one trades in a back for an upgrade ( ie H25 to P45+) what happens to that H25?

Also - when you trade a back in against another brand, ie curretn Hassie promotion - say  Leaf Aptus 22 to a H3D 22 - what deos Hassie do w/ those Leaf backs?

mostly curious more than anythign else...

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:59:54 pm »

Dear Jim,

to answer your 2 questions, concerning Sinar:

- backs traded in from other brands do usually end up on a "rest-shelf": in other words, nothing happens with it.

- when a Sinarback is traded in and comes back to Sinar, and if it has been decided that this particular back model continues to be part of our sales catalog, then this back is undergoing a complete overhaul and re-furbishing process. All hardware components are replaced by new ones and the back is upgraded to the latest state. We do also replace the casing. The back is then re-sold with a normal warranty period of 3 years.

Hope this answers.

Best regards,
Thierry

When one trades in a back for an upgrade ( ie H25 to P45+) what happens to that H25?

Also - when you trade a back in against another brand, ie curretn Hassie promotion - say  Leaf Aptus 22 to a H3D 22 - what deos Hassie do w/ those Leaf backs?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

jimgolden

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:09:21 pm »

so there's no high stakes trading w/ the other brands and their "rest shelf"?

thx for the info thierry

thsinar

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:20:50 pm »

at least not at Sinar.

Welcome,
Thierry

so there's no high stakes trading w/ the other brands and their "rest shelf"?

thx for the info thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

ternst

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 09:53:30 pm »

...All hardware components are replaced by new ones and the back is upgraded to the latest state. We do also replace the casing....

What's left of the original back? And so are these backs then sold as new, or as refirbs?

thsinar

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 10:13:37 pm »

as said, the backs are to be considered as new, with a normal 3-year warranty period, but usually, when such a trade-in campain is launched, prices of the traded-in backs are reduced significantly.

Best regards,
Thierry

...All hardware components are replaced by new ones and the back is upgraded to the latest state. We do also replace the casing....

What's left of the original back? And so are these backs then sold as new, or as refirbs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

ternst

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:17:11 am »

Hum, that is interesting. So you are saying that at some times backs that have been traded in but refurbished could actually be sold as brand new? Have the sensors on these backs been replaced? I guess I'm a little confused by all of this since you said that all hardware and the casing would be replaced - what else is there? Or is the sensor considered something else?

jimgolden

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:24:07 pm »

FYI to reps - this wasnt the direction I wanted this thread to go...more curious than anything else...

mahleu

• 500px
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 01:11:34 pm »

I would love to find one of these 'rest shelves'. Seems a shame for old backs to sit around when they could be used

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 06:28:08 pm »

Me too, It seems ridiculous not to release them on to the secondhand market, which would only serve to maintain the medium format "culture" within photography, and stop the decline, how many more brands have to vanish? The industry as a whole needs to grow to ensure long term survival. Oh sorry, forgot that would put pressure on new back sales, silly me.

Rant over, carry on, move along, nothing to see here.

I would love to find one of these 'rest shelves'. Seems a shame for old backs to sit around when they could be used
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 06:29:13 pm by photo570 »
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 07:47:02 pm »

TH

One place to sell them without damaging the market (maybe?) would be to your customers who have bought newer.

I would love a V mount back to use with a truewide or digiflex camera and all my lovely nikon glass

Promise I wont sell it on - I would even 'lease it' so it was not allowed to be sold on

Also there is value as a backup

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

thsinar

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:00:27 pm »

well, you should see the state and age of those trade-in backs, uncomplete, with scratches on the IR filter, with casing damaged, with cables missing, etc ....

Thierry

Me too, It seems ridiculous not to release them on to the secondhand market, which would only serve to maintain the medium format "culture" within photography, and stop the decline, how many more brands have to vanish? The industry as a whole needs to grow to ensure long term survival. Oh sorry, forgot that would put pressure on new back sales, silly me.

Rant over, carry on, move along, nothing to see here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:03:14 pm »

Dear Sam,

I don't think that is really Sinar's job. See my previous post and the stae of thoes backs returned.

Best regards,
Thierry

TH

One place to sell them without damaging the market (maybe?) would be to your customers who have bought newer.

I would love a V mount back to use with a truewide or digiflex camera and all my lovely nikon glass

Promise I wont sell it on - I would even 'lease it' so it was not allowed to be sold on

Also there is value as a backup

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 03:28:04 am »

Dear Sam,

I don't think that is really Sinar's job. See my previous post and the stae of thoes backs returned.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well when there is a trade on offer '$8000 for any digital back' people dig around for any old cr*p

My Proback was sold to someone specifically so they had a back to trade for a P30 - it was on its last legs

But others on a genuine upgrade path seem to move backs after about a year of careful use

my soon to go E22 for example is in fine condition - I would love an offer to buy it in Vmount

S

thsinar

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 04:38:47 am »

Sam,

that's exactly what I meant: some would do anything to buy an "old", worn-out back from somewhere and then  get the trade-in price.
That's why I said "you should see the state of those backs traded-in ..."
e-Bay is also a great source for this ....

Well, your e22 will not return to the market!  
This back has been replaced by the e54 LV and discontinued: therefore this very attractive "upgrade" for which you get a complete new and different Sinar DB.

Best regards,
Thierry

Well when there is a trade on offer '$8000 for any digital back' people dig around for any old cr*p

My Proback was sold to someone specifically so they had a back to trade for a P30 - it was on its last legs

But others on a genuine upgrade path seem to move backs after about a year of careful use

my soon to go E22 for example is in fine condition - I would love an offer to buy it in Vmount

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

yaya

Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 07:00:23 am »

Also - when you trade a back in against another brand, ie curretn Hassie promotion - say  Leaf Aptus 22 to a H3D 22 - what deos Hassie do w/ those Leaf backs?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim hi,

Current models units of Leaf backs that come back from trade-ins and upgrades are mostly being re-manufactured, meaning the sensor is kept and most other components are being replaced with new ones, so they match the latest spec. They are then sold as remanufactured at a lower price with 1 year warranty.

Older models such as the Valeo 11 and Valeo 6, are being remanufactured and then either kept for service purposes or used for special educational programmes.

Yair

Backs of other makes, if they aren't current, are normally being shelved or destroyed.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 08:24:38 am »

edit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:31:11 pm by Dustbak »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 06:44:26 pm »

very attractive "upgrade" for which you get a complete new [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True

Well, your e22 will not return to the market!   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well this is a real shame and amazing piece of technology junked !

Maybe you should consider and upgrade and keep option.

I cannot afford two backs but kind of really need two

for back up (very remote here)

and because I have no wide angle solution because I am locked out of the BLad wide, and the HY6 doesnt have a wide but I need decent synch speed and prioritise that in my choice of system (H1)

So I really need a V or mam mount version to give wide and rise and fall

which is not on offer from blad or Hy6

I know we disagree on the speed and practicality of changing the rear plates - it is possible in a studio or on an arch shoot but not on a yacht etc

SMM

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 06:57:47 pm »

It really is a shame,and a waste, that properly functioning backs even if one or
two generations old are trashed.

The motivation,in my opinion,has to do with keeping the market for new backs tight.
Too many quality 'retreads' would definitely cut into new sales.

Why not be proactive and try to move more people into the medium format arena by
offering retreads to those who trade in a working pro level 35mm dDSLR?

Then,of course,you run into the problem of what to do with the recovered 35 cameras :>))

MT

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Digital Back trade in/up
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 07:36:01 pm »

Too many quality 'retreads' would definitely cut into new sales.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it is a hard nut to crack

I wont buy a second back

I could do with a second back

My back exists

Sinar dont want my back out in the market

Maybe there is some other way of interacting with these techology companies..

A monthly membership fee - we keep them paid to do R+D and pump out new backs - they keep 'members' in backs

Maybe a dongle - so my second back only works on a machine that the master back is attached to !!!

charity backs for third world photographers .. who knows

S
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up