Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pelican Case For Airline Travel  (Read 13561 times)

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
Pelican Case For Airline Travel
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:31:25 pm »

I have always packed my camera gear in a backpack meant to fit in the overhead compartment of airplanes and never had trouble getting on board even though my pack is pretty much at the maximum size for overhead bins.  However, in October I will be going on a workshop in the Smokies and there are no direct flights from here to there and so I find myself with one leg of the journey on a regional jet.  The jet info has a warning that overhead storage is quite minimal and I am therefore concerned that I will be forced to have them stow my pack with the regular luggage for that leg.  Of course, it is possible that I get the pack into the plane, but I think this is not at all certain.  So I am now of the mind that perhaps the time has come to get a hard Pelican case and check my gear with the regular luggage from the start.

From what I have read it seems to be perfectly safe to do so in terms of damage to my 1Ds MkII and lenses etc, but, of course, it doesn't protect against theft or loss by the airlines.  In addition, I have read that one method of transport is to get a Pelican case without the foam liners and put your regular photo backpack into the Pelican case.

So a few questions....

I am a bit concerned about the idea of putting a fully loaded backpack into a Pelican case and having it thrown around....is it really safe to do so without everything fitting snugly (ie the pack is just in the case) or is it better or safer to get a Pelican with the foam inserts so everything fits snugly?  Just throwing the bag in the case does seem very convenient....but is it safe?

Do people generally feel comfortable checking their gear in a Pelican case in with the regular luggage?   Are the TSA locks useful in providing some protection against theft?

Thanks for any help with this...I am a bit nervous about the whole thing, if you couldn't tell.

Howard

Fred Ragland

• http://
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:30:28 pm »

Do people generally feel comfortable checking their gear in a Pelican case in with the regular luggage?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I travel often. My solution is to use [a href=\"http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_GlssTxi.php]this[/url] small backpack when a backup body isn't essential and this small rolling case when two bodies are needed.  The Glass Taxi carries my 1DsII with a lens attached and two or three other lenses.  The Airport International meets my needs when 2 bodies and a long lens are needed.

I've been on planes in Europe, South America and the US with no problems.  And I can sleep on those flights, not having to worry about the condition of my gear in the hold.

Fred

HowardG

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:44:01 pm »

Fred,
The problem is that on the small regional jet which I think only holds 30 or so passengers I may not be able to stow even what normally fits in a regular airplane's overhead bin inside the plane.  So I think, while there may be a chance to stow it I have to be prepared to put it in the hold.

Howard

I travel often. My solution is to use this small backpack when a backup body isn't essential and this small rolling case when two bodies are needed.  The Glass Taxi carries my 1DsII with a lens attached and two or three other lenses.  The Airport International meets my needs when 2 bodies and a long lens are needed.

I've been on planes in Europe, South America and the US with no problems.  And I can sleep on those flights, not having to worry about the condition of my gear in the hold.

Fred
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fred Ragland

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:02:10 pm »

Fred,
The problem is that on the small regional jet which I think only holds 30 or so passengers I may not be able to stow even what normally fits in a regular airplane's overhead bin inside the plane.  So I think, while there may be a chance to stow it I have to be prepared to put it in the hold.

Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For a short flight, the Glass Taxi will stand on the floor between your legs.

Fred

wcwest

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

Similar to the Glass Taxi but with more space would be the LowePro SlingShot 200 AW which I carry on and it will fit under the seat packed as follows:

Center Pocket looking down in slung position
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS (verticle on left side) & TC80-N3 remote
RebelXTi w/battery grip & RRS L bracket & Tamron 28-75 (center)
Canon 1.4x ( under camera w/divider  to protect)
Tokina 12-24 (verticle  on right side)
Canon 50mm f/1.4 (under Tamron 17-35 w/divider to protect)

Top Pocket
580EX
FlipIt w/ diffuser
4 extra AA batteries
Canon battery recharger
UltraPod
Omni Diffuser

Front Pocket
77mm Singh Ray polarizer
77mm ExpoDisc
77mm Canon 500D
2 Extra  camera batteries
Micro cloth
WhiBal card (small)
LensPen

This is a very convenient bag on location; especially when you need to change a lens. You simply swing it around, open the side flap and change the lens over the bag with no danger of dropping anything. I have used this bag on small commuter airline with no problem.

HowardG

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »

Except I don't think they will let you stend a pack between your legs.

Howard

For a short flight, the Glass Taxi will stand on the floor between your legs.

Fred
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128498\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HowardG

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 10:46:38 pm »

I really do appreciate the responses...but I am wondering if anyone could specifically address the specific issues about the Pelican case.

Howard

Except I don't think they will let you stend a pack between your legs.

Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 09:24:22 am »

I have used a venerable (15 yr old++?) Pelican case in many situations. Airline travel is not one of them for which I continue to use it.

The Pelican is without peer as a virtually indestructible case: waterproof, crush-proof etc. I have used it on open 4wd vehicles where it is thrown about and covered in dust, on a white-water rafting trip where it was both thrown about, baked and dunked etc. It has never failed to protect its contents and I continue to use it in extreme situations. I have used it both with its foam inserts and as a shell for a smaller bag - this has the downside of extra weight and reduced accessibility. Snug is good...

What makes a Pelican that good also makes it slighly problematic. It is hard - you cannot squeeze it into a snug corner- it either fits or absolutely does not - even if it's a centimetre too big. And a Pelican is obviously a camera (or 'valuables') case and attracts attention. For airline travel I prefer a small ThinkTank that is legal carry-on in most situations. If the bag has to be gate-checked for a small aircraft, I remove a camera and swallow hard. Often for small aircraft you can actually watch it being loaded and then retrieve it on the ground outside the aircraft. As I write this, I think the Pelican may have earned a trip to a Madagascar river.

Chris S
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:27:06 am by Chrissand »

lightstand

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:49:26 am »

Do people generally feel comfortable checking their gear in a Pelican case in with the regular luggage?   Are the TSA locks useful in providing some protection against theft?

Quite simply, heck NO. At the very least I would create a smaller carry-on with bodies, a lens or two, hard-drives etc.

I watched in horror as a well intention Creative Director grabbed two 1550s off the belt only to see all of the contents (mamiya bodies & lenses) spill onto the revolving track. TSA had not put the tie clips back on even with a note and extras. Yes I would use the TSA locks because Pelican cases can come unlatched.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:58:02 am »

I have used pelican and there is a problem if ties or locks aren't used. they can easily open up and spill the contents.

The best case I have used is the hard case with a soft zip up cover (Lightware makes them along with others).   You get the protection of the hard case and also the zip up nylon case will keep it closed.

I have checked this type of case several times, including the Canon 500 f:4 lens with no problems.  (I still would rather not have to check my stuff)

Generally I will pack the sensitive equipment in my backpack and carry on and all of the less sensitive stuff in the hard case. (including cords, chargers, telextenders, brackets etc.)

matt4626

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 04:48:17 pm »

I don't use Pelican cases as checked luggage because they attract attention (the wrong kind). I carry on a small Lowepro back pack with enough gear to get the job done. I then pack all the rest of the stuff in a ratty looking hardside suitcase and check that.

MikeMike

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 10:51:58 pm »

I use the Crumpler http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?WebCode=220446 as a carry on.

It fits my mark 2n with a 24-105 atached and my flash unit and my 70-200 and my filters and my passport and wallet.... etc. etc. Its the best bag I'v ever purchased.

Hope this helps!

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:37:17 pm »

I travel on commercial flights all the time and there's no way I can carry on all the gear I need on location.  I take one small bag on the plane with a couple of bodies and several "must have" zooms.  I also carry the laptop.  Everything else gets stuck in a large Pelican case.  It's beat to hell and covered with tape and stickers.  It's been to Russia, all over Europe and central America.  I've never had anything stolen from the case and nothing has ever broken.  Going on twelve years traveling this way now.

This stuff (cameras, etc.) is not irreplacable.  You have to calm down and enjoy life at some point.

I never schedule shoots on travel days so if something doesn't make it I will usually have time to call home and have something shipped in via Fed Ex.  My back up plan is "Go shopping".  I've never had to default to this "plan B".  I think alot of stuff is internet rumor.  I would be exhausted if I were carrying thirty pounds of gear along with me.

That said, if I'm flying Southwest airlines I usually try to pack everything in an Airport Security (Think Tank Photo) case and drag it aboard.  More for the convenience of rolling off the plan and going.  This precludes taking along light stands, tripod, etc.

Kirk

flyer

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 11:20:24 pm »

I use a Pelican 1610 with a pelican pcs-161.  The 161 is a rolling softcase that drops straight into a 1610.  So when I need extra protection, I just drop the bag into the hard case.  Works great.

Mort54

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 11:55:25 am »

Do people generally feel comfortable checking their gear in a Pelican case in with the regular luggage?   Are the TSA locks useful in providing some protection against theft?
Hi Harold. I've traveled with my gear in a Pelican 1510 hard case and frankly I can't recommend it. The case is great, BUT because of the hard shell, you are almost guaranteed to have to gate check it for flights on the small regional jets. And tho the hard shell will protect your gear against dents and scratches, it probably won't be able to protect the more delicate mechanisms from the rough abuse the airline people dish out (I'm thinking of things like mirror alignment for accurate autofocussing). I've literally sat in my window seat and watched a handler hurl my Pelican case onto the baggage cart. I've also seen other peoples bugs just dumped out of the plane onto the hard concrete. I've had the focus on one of my bodies totally knocked cockeyed, leaving it backfocussing badly, making it virtually unuseable.

You are much better off getting a soft shelled case or camera backpack of roughly the same size as the Pelican. The soft case will let you squeeze it into the baggage overhead or under the seat. Also, raise holy hell when the gate agent tells you you need to gate check it. Tell them it's your livelihood and that there is no way in hell you are going to turn it over to them. Certainly don't be rude to them, but definitely be adamant. I've never had them push the issue any more at that point. Just make sure that the soft case you use isn't so huge that you can't squeeze it into a tight spot.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My
Pages: [1]   Go Up