Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discontinued paper?  (Read 3617 times)

steelbird

Discontinued paper?
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:31:01 am »

Does anyone know if Epson's matte paper-heavyweight has been discontinued or replaced?  I was looking over their site, and saw that it wasn't on the list of available paper products.

Richowens

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:40 pm »

The new name is Premium Presentation Paper Matte.

Rich

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
Discontinued paper?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:21:28 pm »

Are you sure about that, Rich?  I thought that was the new name for Enhanced Matte.

Matte Heavyweight was meant for dye inks in the good ol' 870 to 1290 series of printers.  It's certainly obsolete for photo printing in a later era of pigment inks & 'archival' longevity.

steelbird

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:47:59 pm »

Are you sure about that, Rich?  I thought that was the new name for Enhanced Matte.

Matte Heavyweight was meant for dye inks in the good ol' 870 to 1290 series of printers.  It's certainly obsolete for photo printing in a later era of pigment inks & 'archival' longevity.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Premium presentation paper matte is the replacement for Enhanced Matte.  And yes, the Matte Heavyweight was made in the era of the 870 and 1290.  However, theWilhelm Institute ran tests using Matte Heavyweight with the R1800, and found it to have a longer rating than enhanced matte.  It's still a usable paper with the pigment printers.

Geoff Wittig

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 01:17:36 pm »

Are you sure about that, Rich?  I thought that was the new name for Enhanced Matte.

Matte Heavyweight was meant for dye inks in the good ol' 870 to 1290 series of printers.  It's certainly obsolete for photo printing in a later era of pigment inks & 'archival' longevity.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In a classic example of "brand inflation", Epson now calls their Enhanced matte paper (formerly known as archival matte) "ultrapremium presentation matte." Who comes up with these names?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Discontinued paper?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 02:22:34 pm »

In a classic example of "brand inflation", Epson now calls their Enhanced matte paper (formerly known as archival matte) "ultrapremium presentation matte." Who comes up with these names?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've been wondering if these names weren't concocted by someone at Epson who secretly owns a lot of stock in either Canon or HP. Those of us still with Epson printers may soon give up and go with the competition just so we can keep track of the papers.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Richowens

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 02:23:53 pm »

Yep, I'm sure.

Here is the source of my information.

Inkjet Art

Eric I agree, either that or someone's kid just got out of college, needed a job, so they gave him a job renaming the paper.  

The names are getting so long that by the time you say them, you forget what you wanted to do in the first place.

Rich
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 02:28:15 pm by Richowens »

steelbird

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:15:13 pm »

Ah yes - I forgot that "ultra" moniker.....

Indeed, gone are the days when you could call a spade a spade ( ooops - someone might construe that as racist).

I do wonder how purple became "eggplant" and so on.....

Do you suppose it's some kind of "1984" thing, only the marketing department has taken over, and not the propaganda people?

Anyway, thanks for that translation chart from inkjet art.

tigerbait1953

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 04:06:07 am »

Premium presentation paper matte is the replacement for Enhanced Matte.  And yes, the Matte Heavyweight was made in the era of the 870 and 1290.  However, theWilhelm Institute ran tests using Matte Heavyweight with the R1800, and found it to have a longer rating than enhanced matte.  It's still a usable paper with the pigment printers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have just bought an R1800 to replace my 1270.  I have a bunch of older Epson papers.  I have about 10 packs of old HW Matte paper so it is good to know I can use it with the R1800.  Is there a source that can tell me which other papers (old names or new) are usable with pigment inks (R1800) vs. dye (1270) or are OK with both.  Thanks in advance for the help  

Richowens

Discontinued paper?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 11:17:35 am »

Sure...... Here
Pages: [1]   Go Up