Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kata rain cover  (Read 4104 times)

ARD

• http://
Kata rain cover
« on: July 12, 2005, 09:14:53 am »

Thanks for the info, looks a really useful piece of kit.

jani

• Øyet
Kata rain cover
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:26:31 pm »

pom, thanks for the tip.

I've tried to look for a Norwegian supplier of this product, or similar products, and the closest I've come is a set of products from ewa-marine:

http://www.ewamarine.com/english/e-cape.htm

These products protect against heavy rain and sea spray from almost any direction.

The "C-AFX for cameras with system flash" is available to me for the equivalent of approximately 225 dollars (plus freight and taxes).

Jeez, for that price, I can get the Kata rain cover and a handsomely big extra memory card from B&H*! Plus mittens!

So I really mean it by those thanks, pom!

* The cheapest shipping method from B&H for the Kata rain cover is USD 27.50. Add 25% sales tax to the sum of product and shipping, plus a fee of approximately 20 dollars from the postal service for handling customs, and it's not quite cheap anymore. But it sure beats that ewa-marine in price, if not in protection.
Jan

jani

• Øyet
Kata rain cover
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 05:20:54 pm »

Would it be cheaper to get it from the UK?

www.speedgraphic.co.uk
Thanks for the tip, but no, it doesn't look like it. UKP 52 + 25% sales tax is already more expensive than USD 42.5 + USD 27.5 + 25% sales tax plus customs handling fee.

But if I went to the UK anyway, it would be cheaper, because I'm allowed to bring back goods for up to almost 10 times that amount tax free.

Go figure.  
Jan

jani

• Øyet
Kata rain cover
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 04:39:16 am »

In some cases, it's cheaper to fly to the USA and buy photo kit over the counter at B&H than to order it and pay shipping and customs for the same reason...
Yes, when the 1Ds MkII arrived, I joked that I could fly over to NYC and buy it there for the price difference alone, even after paying Norwegian taxes. If I threw in a couple of lenses, I could even "finance" a shooting trip while I was in the states.

But the 20D was more in the style of my budget, and I decided to sponsor a local photostore instead.
Jan

Ben Rubinstein

Kata rain cover
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 12:20:10 pm »

This rain cover for cameras is advertised by the Speed Graphic catalogue in the UK and I bought myself one as a birthday present after giving up trying to find clear and strong plastic bags here.

I took it with me to Iceland and although I only had to use it once I have to say that I have nothing but the greatest praise for it. It fits over the camera easily, because the camera rotates within it its perfect for use in either portrait or landscape mode, the 'arms' are great as is the very strong but totally see through plastic and I could both change the controls, see the LCD and even focus when shooting with it on for 3 hours straight with 1Ds 70-200L and RRS L bracket in both orientations.

The price went down in the  UK drastically recently to ~£50, well worth the buy. At $42 at B&H it would be a waste not to try.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh....ci=4701

Ken Tanaka

• http://www.KenTanaka.com
Kata rain cover
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 12:13:08 am »

I've had one of these for over a year and have not yet had an opportunity to use it!  (It doesn't look like an opportunity will come soon, either, as we're suffering from one of the deepest droughts in Chicago in decades.)

I does seem to take a bit of practice to fit the cover properly.  But it seems to be thoughtfully designed as your observations confirm.

I suspect that it would also work well in snowy situations.

Thank you for your remarks.  Now where did I put that thing....?
- Ken Tanaka -
 www.KenTanaka.com

Ben Rubinstein

Kata rain cover
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 01:39:03 pm »

Would it be cheaper to get it from the UK?

www.speedgraphic.co.uk

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Kata rain cover
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 10:16:15 pm »

In some cases, it's cheaper to fly to the USA and buy photo kit over the counter at B&H than to order it and pay shipping and customs for the same reason...

jani

• Øyet
Kata rain cover
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 08:04:29 am »

I decided that I want to spend my time on other things than phoning or running around from camera store to camera store (such as calibrating monitors, eh?), and I placed my order with B&H today.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up