Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Sweet Home @ 50 below zero  (Read 284947 times)

Jeremy Payne

Home Sweet Home @ 50 below zero
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2009, 11:57:59 pm »

This is what my friends like to do with whales ... they only things they shoot are photos ...

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33094

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 08:20:41 am »

Quote from: Majik_Imaje
A whale comes to the surface to breathe and dive again.

If the whale is "giving itself" to you, why does he or she engage in this behavior?

If the traditional way of life is so important that we have to abide your annual slaughter of whales ... then stick to tradition and stop using modern technology in the fight.

If you have a 'right' to a subsistence way of life that revolves around killing whales ... because "that's what we've always done" ... then do it the right way.

Stop cheating.  Give back your firearms and gunpowder.  Give back your gasoline powered motors.  Give back your satellite telephones and internet connections.

... OR ELSE STOP KILLING WHALES.

If you insist that only SOME of the tradition is important, then you are just a greedy hypocrite.

Craddosk

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 10:41:57 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
If the whale is "giving itself" to you, why does he or she engage in this behavior?

If the traditional way of life is so important that we have to abide your annual slaughter of whales ... then stick to tradition and stop using modern technology in the fight.

If you have a 'right' to a subsistence way of life that revolves around killing whales ... because "that's what we've always done" ... then do it the right way.

Stop cheating.  Give back your firearms and gunpowder.  Give back your gasoline powered motors.  Give back your satellite telephones and internet connections.

... OR ELSE STOP KILLING WHALES.

If you insist that only SOME of the tradition is important, then you are just a greedy hypocrite.

You don't eat beef do you?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 11:22:35 am »

Quote from: Craddosk
You don't eat beef do you?

If you'd like to equate a wild whale species that is likely as intelligent as we are and that can live for nearly 200 years with domesticated cattle, go ahead ... but that's a bit of a stretch in my book.

I admit there is a gray line to be drawn ... but for me, whales are clearly on "our" side of that line ... it isn't even close.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:23:00 am by Jeremy Payne »

Craddosk

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »

So two people saying one thing that they admit they possess a bias makes it the truth? I think your missing the purpose of shock advertising. The obvious message is not what many think it is. Oh, and I have tons of satellite images, pictures, first hand accounts that clearly demonstrate that multi-year sea ice is decreasing. If you want simple proof, if your ice years are the best ever, than how has the Northwest Passage been sailed by ships?

Craddosk

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 10:46:26 pm »

I'm guessing the evidence will be similar to your statements of "How to polar bears survive in Churchill, MB? How to they survive in zoos?". (With reference to your comments trying to promote the absurd idea that polar bears don't need sea ice to survive.)

Ray

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »

The issue of climate change is very confused because there are two aspects which are continually mixed up and really should be separated.

One aspect is the fact that climate is always changing due to natural causes; always has been and probably always will. The other aspect is the role played by increased CO2 levels (and other man-made greenhouse gasses) in this unavoidable, natural process of climate change.

Those who are forecasting disaster would claim that increased CO2 levels from man-made emissions, in a climate which may already be in a warming phase through natural causes, will exacerbate the trend and get us to a disastrous tipping point which we would never otherwise have reached.

On the other hand, if the climate is in a cooling phase, then anthropogenic contibutions to greenhouse gasses, by the same reasoning, would tend to reduce the impact of such cooling, and be a good thing.

It seems to me that the science of climate is so complex and contains so many chaotic elements, it's impossible to separate these two influences on climate, ie. natural cause and anthropogenic causes. The science is therefore uncertain and cannot be otherwise.

Uncertainty, however, does not lend itself to political action.

Professor Stephen Schneider of Stanford University (Professor of Climatology and author of many IPCC reports) has explained the process very well in my view. Here's what he said some time ago.

On the one hand, as scientists we are ethically bound to the scientific method, in effect promising to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but – which means that we must include all doubts, the caveats, the ifs, ands and buts. On the other hand, we are not just scientists but human beings as well. And like most people we’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climate change.

To do that we need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, means getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. This “double ethical bind” we frequently find ourselves in cannot be solved by any formula. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest. I hope that means being both.

This process of deception appears now to be unravelling. As that great author, Sir Walter Scott, wrote many years ago, "Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

Ray

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2009, 01:50:54 am »

Have you seen ?? on the History channel - The PolarGrizz ??    A polar Bear mated with a grizzly bear !! hmmm ??

No I haven't, Majik, but a bear is a bear. When species are closely related, there can be interbreeding, but often the offspring are infertile. The delineation of species is not always a precise thing.

I've noticed this is my own part of the world, Southeastern Queensland in Australia. I've witnessed mature birds that simply do not have the markings as described in the textbooks. After puzzling over this for a while and wondering if such birds are simply juveniles with immature feathering, I decided this wasn't the case and what I was witnessing were different varieties of closely related species who had interbred.

The mule is a classic example of interbreeding between a donkey and a horse.

Ray

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2009, 02:20:43 am »

Interbreding is nothing new -  between animals - and even the bizarre interbreding between animals and mankind as mentioned in the bible.

To quote a famous phrase from King Solomon -  "There is nothing new - 'under the sun' !!

Sorry! I missed that in my Bible reading. Are you saying that anthropogenic global warming is mentioned in the Bible? There's lots of new stuff under the sun. All our cutting-edge research into sub-atomic particles, and our research into the nature of 'dark matter' which, it is suggested, may accounr for 90% of all the matter in the universe.

New stuff is the driving force of all technology. What are you talking about, Majik?

Ray

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2009, 02:58:53 am »

INDEED - there is nothing new - under the sun - Man kind has the exact same attitudes as existed thousands of years ago!!

No it doesn't. We now have the scietific method of verification of all data before it's accepted. We have the scientific method, which even the ancient Greeks in the time of Socrates didn't have.

Did you know that Aristotle believed (however tentatively) that we see as a result of our eyes projecting a beam of light onto what we observe. In those days the scientific method had not been formulated. All it would have required to falsify such a theory would have been to conduct an experiment which required a number of people to walk into a completely dark room in order to observe if the visibility would gradually increase wih increasing numbers of people.

This verification process was not conducted until much later, which disproved the theory. The Muslims in the Middle Ages were the first to debunk Aristotle.

Ray

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 03:05:57 am »

Majik,
Your images are very cute and give us an insight into an unfamiliar environment, but I get the impression you could improve many of your shots with a bit of Photoshop manipulation. Do you use Photoshop?

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2009, 09:31:28 am »

Well it is very obvious you have no concept on how the 'whales' feel about this.

A whale GIVES ITSELF OVER TO THE CAPTAIN of its choice.  A whale can easily avoid and cause great harm to a crew.  

Whales are NOT STUPID !!  

Hundreds of thousands of whales migrate past the point every year   This has been on going consistently for many THOUSANDS  of years, in the same exact spots.

Whales GIVE - to feed - people.  This is how these people have survived in this harsh unforgiving climate for over 3 thousand years.

Jeremy Payne you do not have a clue how close the whale and these people are one with each other.  They cannot receive a whale UNLESS that whale wants to give THE GIFT !!

I SUGGEST you READ -  The Gift of the Whale by Bill Hess.

Have you ever (recorded) how chickens feel ? or cows ??  what is the difference ??  Chickens & Cows do not give themselves up freely to feed people.

So in a population pool of over 200,000 -  less than 100 whales give themselves to the captain of THEIR choice.  How many new whales are born each year ???  ANSWER :   much more than that which were 'given' !!

Man has so much to learn from 'animals' who in actual reality act more civil than humans !!

I have a much better 'cause' for you to STAND UP AND PROCLAIM and actually do something about !!  Quit murdering CHILDREN !!!

Abortion - the act of murdering an innocent child - remains are used in cosmetic companies for make up so women can 'look' nicer !!

Jeremy Payne  - wake up and do something useful in society !!

Inupiat Eskimo's have lived in COMPLETE HARMONY with the LAND, SEA, AIR, in harvesting ONLY that which is needed to eat.  Nothing is wasted !!
None of the resources of the Arctic have ever been depleted or put in danger by Inupiat peoples.   The white man cannot make that claim !!

During the 1800's    The white man found a treasure trove of animals to harvest and butcher for $$  GREAT WASTE was done on a daily basis. IN fact:

340,000 people were wiped out - the population of the coastal villages was reduced to less than 1,200 people !!!

The whales, walrus, caribou were slaughtered leaving the PEOPLE little or no food !!

UNCIVILIZED FILMS just released a MOVIE -   Inupiaq History -   Watch and see first hand the terrible slaughter of innocent people- just for greed and $$

People are not important - !!  That is why the NEW WORLD ORDER is going to wipe out more than a billion people - So that the 'elite' can prosper MORE !!

Yes even the turkey get kill,

"ABORTION" now we need to pay for it.

I always looking forward to read it, keep it coming, "I love you man".  When you come back here(brockton) let me know, I got something for you.
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

MJBose

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 11:24:40 am »

I've been following this blog and some of Majiks other blogs for years. Very interesting stuff. It seems Majik_Imaje has run into problems in his home town and had to leave! Crazy stuff going on there.
   I hope things work out for you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:26:17 am by MJBose »

jeremypayne

Re: Home Sweet Home @ 50 below zero
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »

Got any pics of any of this?

fanlynne

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2011, 01:53:47 am »

Majik_Imaje,your pictures made me sad........where there is money,there is hunter.....

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »

Majik, this has been a wonderful documentation and hopefully will survive as a tribute to their way of life (think about a book, my friend). Everything about this thread is so fascinating I told my wife and she logs in just to read and see it. It is the only camera thread she follows! So keep up the good work and know that what you do is worthwhile in so many ways.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:21 pm »

2-2....Wonderful documentation as usual of life well lived... caribou, elk, venison....Long life....Wishing you much more.....
A common woman~

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:57 am »

Our dear friend "2-2",

Thank you for sharing small slices of arctic life with us.  And congratulations on your successful hunt.

Be well,
-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

LandLordOfLand

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23:58 am »

Wow, I wish I lived like an Eskimo. I want to experience the wild life and Alaskan landscapes. I loved the bear killing pictures (Skinning them, eating them, etc.) What beauty you find in Alaska.

P.S
Do you ever get attacked by bears?
My favorite tutorial in the world. If you like drawing landscapes, you'll like this: How to Draw Mountains!

Brian Carey

• Brian Carey
    • Brian Carey Photography
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

Great story and loved the photographs. Thank You for sharing!
"Each day provides its own gifts" - Marcus Aurelius

My Website - My Blog - Flickr
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up