Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadtone RIP Challenges  (Read 2066 times)

Del

Quadtone RIP Challenges
« on: July 15, 2007, 07:14:30 pm »

After viewing LLVJ16 and seeing Brooks Jensen laud QTR, I downloaded it right away, and am giving it a trial run.  I must say that so far, I'm impressed.

My issue is that when I now try to print an image in color, having made every printer selection that I can find, the print driver reports a "communications error".  I have turned the printer on and off, same with the Mac (OS 10.4) and double checked all page set-up and print settings without success.

Interestingly, I can print the same image in B&W without difficulty, which seems to rule out anything on the printer end as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Del

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Quadtone RIP Challenges
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:44:04 am »

My issue is that when I now try to print an image in color, having made every printer selection that I can find, the print driver reports a "communications error".  I have turned the printer on and off, same with the Mac (OS 10.4) and double checked all page set-up and print settings without success.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is a common issue with the Epson drivers for Mac; similar things usually happpen each thing you swap between Photo and Matte Blacks.  With my 2100, it was driving me BANANAS...  I´m a bit shocked it´s the same with the 2400.  My present printer is a 3800, which handles ink swapping without problems.  Luckily, the ABW option is so good I don´t feel I need QTR with it (I used QTR with the 2100, and it was very good with B/W).

Anyhow, the "remedy" (to be applied while loudly appealing to the horned potentates of the underworld...) is to go through this ritual:

1) in the Printer Utility, delete the printer under the name you´ve just been using.
2) re-define a printer queue with another name, using the same physical printer (it has to be running and connected).
3) Turn the printer off, remove the communication cable (USB or FW), turn it on again, and reinsert the communication cable.
4) Try printing (it just MIGHT work the first time, you know...)
5) If necessary, go through the whole routine another few times, rebooting your Mac a couple of times.

Afraid I´m not exaggerating one bit; it´s that exasperating!  I do wish I will meet the Epson guy responsible for the Mac drivers sometime, somewhere in a dark alley.....
Per Ofverbeck
My

Del

Quadtone RIP Challenges
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:25:12 am »

Thanks for the advice.

I also heard from Roy from QTR.  In my case since I was using a firewire cable (required by QTR), the Epson Print Driver still expected that to be the case.  Uninstalling the print driver and re-installing it did the trick.
Del
Pages: [1]   Go Up