Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: P30 800 ISO Image 110F2  (Read 10823 times)

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« on: July 15, 2007, 06:47:38 pm »

I keep hearing lots of people harping on the fact that anything over ISO 400 is unusable on the P30, well in my opinion it is great, judge for your self by viewing attached photo. I guess I'm kind of getting cranky at hearing how freak'in great the new P30+ is and what a dog the P30 is. Let me just say that I shoot the P30 every day and couldn't be happier and have no plans of upgrading, I'm back to doing what I do best and that is make beautiful images(In my eyes at least!)! Some times you have to quit chasing the magic bullet and learn to use the tools you have at hand, I'm there!!!
Also, I must say that my recent find of a perfect Hasselblad 110F2 FE was the best find ever. At yesterday's wedding I shot it almost all the time except for a few shot witht the Contax 210 F4 (another lens that people dog, but is incredible). Just my .02 cents.

Love'in what I got!

ben edmonson
www.benedmonson.com

P.S. as for processing I didn't do a thing except process straight to 60% jpeg with c1 pro. No noise reduction of any kind or sharpening.[attachment=2820:attachment]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 06:54:32 pm by benedmonson »

Rick DeLello

• http://www.richarddelellophotography.com
P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 08:20:13 pm »

Looks great to me! Better than any 800 color film that I've seen. I've got a p25 and shoot 800 from time to time. But will never proccess in C1. LR handles the file great and makes the grain look more like film.

benedmonson

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:27:44 pm »

Rick I agree about the LR processing, in the last 2 weeks I have changed all my workflow over to it from C1 Pro. I just posted because i never see many high iso p30 images, but people sure love to talk bad about them. I think it has a lot to do with proper exposure.

ben

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 04:16:24 am »

Ben -

Very nice picture ! Thank you for posting this image.

I had an issue under Firefox, with some browser induced banding, but downloaded the image and it is very nice indeed.

Hi ISO gives the Phase back a film-like look.

Edmund

PS- comes as a surprise that I have a son
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:02:20 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Harris Edelman

• http://
P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:32:44 pm »

Ben, what got me was the lone hair that found its way right into your 30mm-deep sharp zone. Nice. Had me chuckling for nearly an hour. I guess I've been doing this too long.  

-H.

P.S. Edmund, are congratulations in order? or am I not getting another joke?

benedmonson

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:05:59 pm »

Like I said, no post at all on this shot, couldn't believe the lone hair was that sharp!

Ben, what got me was the lone hair that found its way right into your 30mm-deep sharp zone. Nice. Had me chuckling for nearly an hour. I guess I've been doing this too long.   

-H.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eronald

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »

Ben Edmondson = Ben, Edmund's son

Edmund

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

cheetah

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 06:45:13 pm »

Ben,

very impressive. I visited your website. I love the sharpness and the brightness of your images. did you take them all with P30? What lenses dio you use?

awofinden

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:51:29 pm »

Total agreement on LR, it's so good. Anyone downloaded michaels tutorial yet?

benedmonson

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 08:49:27 pm »

I haven't upadted my website in forever, too busy!!! Most of the images on the site were shot with my hasselblad 50mm F2.8 & 110 F2 love both of these lens. I just got a like new 110 F2 a few weeks ago for my P30 and am loving it. Alot of the images on my website were actually shot with my Hasselblad and chrome. Since getting the P30 there is no looking back and no film except polaroids shot at all.

Ben

Ben,

very impressive. I visited your website. I love the sharpness and the brightness of your images. did you take them all with P30? What lenses dio you use?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

brumbaer

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 03:16:12 am »

Hi Ben,
i like the image very much, the only thing that casts a shadow on it ist the

P.S. as for processing I didn't do a thing except process straight to 60% jpeg

because a scale (below 100%) will reduce noise (because multiple pixels are combined into one which has an averaging effect) and increase sharpness (because the features get smaller, whether you call this sharpness increase perceived or real, is open for discussion).

So
Like I said, no post at all on this shot
isn't correct.

That doesn't change the fact that it is a great picture it just reduces it's value as a noise comparisson image. Except if you compare noise of rescaled images.

Regards
SH

eronald

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28:46 am »

Brumbär,

Of course you are right, but any camera that can give me such images is ok for me

I just wish that eg. Sinar had a 1600 ISO setting in the hardware so I could get the same results with their backs, even if it means downrezzing. As it stands, I'm off to order a Phase back.

Edmund

Hi Ben,
i like the image very much, the only thing that casts a shadow on it ist the
because a scale (below 100%) will reduce noise (because multiple pixels are combined into one which has an averaging effect) and increase sharpness (because the features get smaller, whether you call this sharpness increase perceived or real, is open for discussion).

So

isn't correct.

That doesn't change the fact that it is a great picture it just reduces it's value as a noise comparisson image. Except if you compare noise of rescaled images.

Regards
SH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 08:58:52 am »

Edmund,

did you ever try a Sinarback at this ISO? I doubt. More seriously, you should try and compare side by side.

Best regards,
Thierry

Brumbär,

Of course you are right, but any camera that can give me such images is ok for me

I just wish that eg. Sinar had a 1600 ISO setting in the hardware so I could get the same results with their backs, even if it means downrezzing. As it stands, I'm off to order a Phase back.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

eronald

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:01 am »

Sinar have been a no-show in Paris as we already discussed.  Your colleague in switzerland  to who you referred me has refused to meet me several times on account of being too busy. At least Phase have a dealer net which is visible.

Edmund,

did you ever try a Sinarback at this ISO? I doubt. More seriously, you should try and compare side by side.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:55:19 am by eronald »

thsinar

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 11:19:23 am »

well, I don't quite understand why you are so agressive because Sinar was not at a show when having in-house new product launches! There have been hundreds of shows where Sinar was present when others not, and there will be hundreds more. I don't quite understand your point.

Also, a colleague not meeting you because of a tight schedule isn't a mark of disrespect, IMO. I don't think my colleague ever said that he refused to meet you: that is just a wrong and misleading wording used. That you do not believe him that he was busy is another way to see things, isn't it?

You can certainly understand that it is not possible to meet all and anybody at any time when a request is made, especially during this period of time: I am based in Bangkok, but was present during those 2 weeks at Sinar to tell how everybody was busy or not.

Dealer net which is visible: what the hell has this to do with the above?!

Edmund, I have honestly difficulties sometimes to understand your purpose of being here: you seem to function according to the interest one gives you.

Best regards,
Thierry

Sinar have been a no-show in Paris as we already discussed.  Your colleague in switzerland  to who you referred me has refused to meet me several times on account of being too busy. At least Phase have a dealer net which is visible.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128624\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

eronald

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 11:38:05 am »

Thierry,

As far as I am concerned, Sinar have been perfectly respectful, and have a product which is very respected, as regular positive postings here demonstrate.

Edmund

thsinar

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 11:41:59 am »

that's what I am thinking and defending, but your post leads to think the contrary.

Thierry

Thierry,
 As far as I am concerned, Sinar have been perfectly respectful, and have a product which is very respected, as regular positive postings here demonstrate.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128635\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

brumbaer

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 11:44:01 am »

Brumbär,

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Edmund,
what has Sinar to do with it ?

As I understood Ben wanted to show that you can get good results with the P30 and not only with the P30+.

And I agree his results are great. All I'm saying is that it fails as a fair comparison, because pixels are traded for noise reduction. A 31MP system used as a 11 MB 800 ISO system is put against a 31MP system at ISO 800.

Still I will not argue with Ben, about whether this shot is usable, it's more than that.
But the question for photographers is whether 11 MB are enough for what they do, and I'm sure some people are more than happy if the P30+ has a better high ISO performance (which I do not know, I just assume it because of what I've heard), because they can not afford to loose two thirds of the pixels the back is able to deliver to get good high ISO performance.

Just scale your output to postcard size and you will be able to get fantastic high ISO results with nearly any back. Also you have to worry much less about camera shake, because scaleing down will get rid of al lot of this. That's even cooler because so every camera has stabilization build in and no extra costs involved  Just,  how many clients are happy with postcard size imges ?

So I do not intervene for the sake of any product or brand, I do not argue about the quality of the image, I just voice my opinion that apples are compared to pears.

Regards
SH

sundstei

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 12:01:58 pm »

Hi Edmund,
what has Sinar to do with it ?

I believe he said "eg Sinar"....

And I agree his results are great. All I'm saying is that it fails as a fair comparison, because pixels are traded for noise reduction. A 31MP system used as a 11 MB 800 ISO system is put against a 31MP system at ISO 800.

Why are you mixing in Megabytes with Pixels?
As far as I know the Sinar backs cant even go higher then 400ISO anyway? Different chipsize etc etcSo it will never be a apple to apple comparison anyway.

Svein Erik
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:04:39 pm by sundstei »

thsinar

P30 800 ISO Image 110F2
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 12:05:40 pm »

as said already many times, Svein, I would suggest you to compare a Sinar ISO 400 with a PO ISO 400 (or should I say ISO 200 vs ISO 400, to put it more clearly?).

I am reacting harshly here, because some do not seem to know what they speak about.

Sorry about that.

Thierry

I believe he said "eg Sinar"....
Why are you mixing in Megabytes with Pixels?
As far as I know the Sinar backs cant even go higher then 400ISO anyway? So it will never be a apple to apple comparison anyway.
Svein Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edited for addendum
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:08:33 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up